Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

It will be s disaster. People have very short memories we can't sell out eng v Aus at Wigan what hope is there for Wembley,Cardiff and old Trafford. It will be embarrassing to see these stadiums half full on national TV. Yes I'll be going to games hopefully Cardiff and old Trafford. Be lucky to get 30k at each venue.

That's the spirit! 

You do know they have sold more than 30k for Old Trafford already don't you?

It will be s disaster. People have very short memories we can't sell out eng v Aus at Wigan what hope is there for Wembley,Cardiff and old Trafford. It will be embarrassing to see these stadiums half full on national TV. Yes I'll be going to games hopefully Cardiff and old Trafford. Be lucky to get 30k at each venue.

Lovely stuff that.

Luckily all those empty red seats will hide your embarrassed red face.

Proper @rlmeltdown stuff, that.

Well if that's all we achieve, and i think you are mistaken, 30,000 is an improvement on any crowd at Wigan which only has a 25,000 capacity.

Last time we played a double header at Wembley we got over 40,000. Last time we played an international at Cardiff. i think we got 17,000. apparently there have been over 25,000 sold for this game to date.

Did you see the post about the USA v Cook Islands game having one stand sold out? Now that's a positive to me. two minor nations, in RL terms, playing in a stadium nowhere near the heartlands and we have sold out one stand, amazing to me.

Did you see the post about the huge pre game sales for the France game at Avignon ? The game in Ireland is apparently going rather well also. A poster is having trouble getting tickets in the stand at Workington.

To me the signs are mostly positive and I hope you are wrong in your bleak asessment.

Some will cry failure unless every game is a sell out.

40k+ at Wembley would be fine.

OT will be full for the final I am sure of it.

Bless!

apparently there have been over 25,000 sold for this game to date.

Yakstorm's guestimates don't include tickets sold in the upper tier. Doing a 10 ticket purchase in each of those sections highlight many have sold above 15 rows already with 2 unable to seat 10 together. I'll guestimate we are a way over the 30K mark already at Cardiff.

There has been zero promotion in Australia. I would go as far to say that less than half of all rugby league fans would even know the World Cup is on this year, and of the other half most of them don't care. Sad, but shows how much respect the international game has here.

Yes, but OZ RL authorities have hardly helped that matter by their woeful non-dedication to international RL over the decades, and not a single World Cup in Oz for 31 years from 1977 to 2008 !!!

This attitude may hopefully change with the new Australian RL Commission, whose members are making the right noises in this regard.

Interesting article in this weeks League Express which claims that the delay in awarding overseas TV rights is putting potential sponsors off.

I'll apologise for the negative tone of this post in advance, as I am as excited about this World Cup as anybody, having booked a handful of tickets and planning a couple of weekends away.

I am starting to see quite a few worrying signs for this tournament though.

1 - Lack of sponsors. I mean real sponsors - the website has partners like Marriott, Hertz, Ticketmaster, Steeden, Gullivers etc, but these are all logistical sponsors providing services and I assume little cash if any. We haven't seen anything from a sponsor who simply wants their name associated with our tournament.

2 - Ticket Sales - whilst it would appear that sales are going well, the fact that this has gone quiet worries me. I think that the estimates on here will be far too high, as ultimately blocks will be shown as sold when in fact they are probably just out with partners, agents, clubs and reserved for potential sponsors. Where are the updates on individual games? Some games should be close to selling out now.

3 - Promotion - in general I'd argue this has been very good, and the social media side is well worth following and gets some good stuff on there, but then they have also started certain things and don;t appear to see them through.

The Trophy Tour is excellent and appears to be getting quite a lot of coverage - from looking at the website it would appear it is in Edinburgh at Parliament this Friday. Can I find any details of time or when I can go to have my picture taken? Nope. I hate it when they do things half-hearted, and there are a few things like this that worry me.

Where is this large ball pass thing that was going to be touring the country? I assume it is part of the Trophy Tour - but it was launched with a bit of noise, and then never mentioned again.

4 - TV rights - we are 4 months off the start of the comp - all rights should now be confirmed, certainly in the major League playing nations. It's all well and good sorting out twitter accounts etc. but the real nitty gritty of sponsors and broadcast partners are the real meat and bones of a tournament like this.

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that have been done well so I don't want to be too harsh, but a lot of the good work will be undone if ultimately the grounds are less than half full and no sponsors or major broadcast partners are in place.

Have you emailed your concerns to tom.coates@rlwc2013.com...?

And just on point 1, other than the Lincoln World Cup in 2000, when have we ever had a sponsor for the tournament? Do Football and Union have a title sponsor for their comps? A title sponsor takes away a bit of prestige in my opinion, although official partners sure, lets get as many as possible on board!

I'll apologise for the negative tone of this post in advance, as I am as excited about this World Cup as anybody, having booked a handful of tickets and planning a couple of weekends away.

I am starting to see quite a few worrying signs for this tournament though.

1 - Lack of sponsors. I mean real sponsors - the website has partners like Marriott, Hertz, Ticketmaster, Steeden, Gullivers etc, but these are all logistical sponsors providing services and I assume little cash if any. We haven't seen anything from a sponsor who simply wants their name associated with our tournament.

2 - Ticket Sales - whilst it would appear that sales are going well, the fact that this has gone quiet worries me. I think that the estimates on here will be far too high, as ultimately blocks will be shown as sold when in fact they are probably just out with partners, agents, clubs and reserved for potential sponsors. Where are the updates on individual games? Some games should be close to selling out now.

3 - Promotion - in general I'd argue this has been very good, and the social media side is well worth following and gets some good stuff on there, but then they have also started certain things and don;t appear to see them through.

The Trophy Tour is excellent and appears to be getting quite a lot of coverage - from looking at the website it would appear it is in Edinburgh at Parliament this Friday. Can I find any details of time or when I can go to have my picture taken? Nope. I hate it when they do things half-hearted, and there are a few things like this that worry me.

Where is this large ball pass thing that was going to be touring the country? I assume it is part of the Trophy Tour - but it was launched with a bit of noise, and then never mentioned again.

4 - TV rights - we are 4 months off the start of the comp - all rights should now be confirmed, certainly in the major League playing nations. It's all well and good sorting out twitter accounts etc. but the real nitty gritty of sponsors and broadcast partners are the real meat and bones of a tournament like this.

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that have been done well so I don't want to be too harsh, but a lot of the good work will be undone if ultimately the grounds are less than half full and no sponsors or major broadcast partners are in place.

I tend to agree with all of that  - especially regarding TV rights ! When are they going to be announced for Oz, for XXXX's sake?!

The 2008 RLWC managed to get TV coverage in a LOT of countries around the world, though I suspect it was given away for free in most places by the RLIF.

Have you emailed your concerns to tom.coates@rlwc2013.com...?

And just on point 1, other than the Lincoln World Cup in 2000, when have we ever had a sponsor for the tournament? Do Football and Union have a title sponsor for their comps? A title sponsor takes away a bit of prestige in my opinion, although official partners sure, lets get as many as possible on board!

I messaged the RLWC twitter account yesterday and got no response. I don't have contact details for Tom, and nor should I be expected to.

On your second point, I never mentioned title sponsor.

Re ticket sales, for 2008 RLWC we were getting regular updates on ticket sales on another Oz-based RL forum, and pre-sales seemed to be excellent, but I remember when the event actually came around, many games had quite disappointing (but still not too bad) crowds.

The final, of course, was a sell-out - and a great match !

What's his role with RLWC 2013?

He is the Communications & PR Exec the RLWC2013 team.

Nice bloke too!

Agree with your sentiments on title sponsors, but just to clarify, the 1995 WC was sponsored by Halifax BS, and the 1992 Final was sponsored by Stones Bitter. Even going back as far as 1970, the tournament was sponsored by Vehicle & General Insurance, with the V&G trophy as the prize.