Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

Kangaroos Test Matches and the RLWC final have to be shown on a primary channel as per anti-siphoning laws, so expect these to be syndicated on both channels.  

Just seen a discussion regarding this on some random thread and apparently it isn't that difficult to get an exemption for this.

It would have been nice if they had said they were showing the key games on Seven - the fact that they haven't makes me suspect they are not planning on doing so if they don't have to.

Kangaroos Test Matches and the RLWC final have to be shown on a primary channel as per anti-siphoning laws, so expect these to be syndicated on both channels.  

This is not correct, Kangaroos matches including the RLWC are classified as 'Tier B' events on the anti-siphoning list, meaning that they must be on FTA networks but can be premiered on digital multi-channels (i.e. 7mate).

However, most Australians seem to think that this is a better than expected result regardless of whether or not the games are shown on the primary channel.

Good news about the TV deal down under. It would be great now if there were a few other deals elsewhere in the Middle East and North America to show matches. I saw the SL play-offs in 2011 in Oman via their satellite network so I hope this can be sorted for the World Cup. The US would be a perfect market to 'entice' sponsors to get involved.

Fox sports extra shows the NRL and SL and I watched the Exiles game on it the other week so I think Fox got some minor rights in this Tv deal and so could and hopefully will show some WC games,including the US games.

The only downside I can see is that Ch9 commentators for the rest of the season will likely not promote the RLWC

if it had been on Ch9 or one of its digital offshoots, we'd have loads of promotion for the rest of the season, and on the Footy Show, Sunday Footy Show etc

Ch9 are stupied; they could have used the RLWC coverage to continually promote the 2014 NRL season, too

Very short-sighted ...

Steve Mascord has written this in today's SMH:

5. The game they play on Seven

Channel Seven’s signing of an agreement to cover the World Cup is tremendous news and follows a similar deal in Britain, where regular league broadcaster Sky Sports lost out to upstart Premier Sports in rights negotiations.  Rugby league has often lacked the confidence to share TV broadcasting rights around. International rugby league is essential for the sport to go to the next level commercially and, in the case of the broadcasters we already have, familiarity has bred contempt. You could argue it is in the interests of our domestic broadcasters for rugby league to remain a local, affordable commodity. They don’t care about international football and in that circumstance, we can either dance to their tune or go out and find someone who does care. Thankfully, we’ve done the latter. It could be a milestone decision.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/duges-imaginary-fishing-trip-nets-plenty-of-bites-20130623-2oqsc.html#ixzz2X5f4gpZ2

Trying not to make even more threads I've put this here

Gareth Widdop has a suspected broken hip - ambulance on way and doctors from both teams attending to him

Good news. Sounds like the equivalent of ITV2/3/4 in the UK: I'm sure we'd be delighted in the UK if that were the case.

Well I for one would be seeing as I have Virgin and can't even get premier sports.

Well I for one would be seeing as I have Virgin and can't even get premier sports.

It's not a perfect solution, but you can get an online subscription and an HDMI cable.

Fox sports extra shows the NRL and SL and I watched the Exiles game on it the other week so I think Fox got some minor rights in this Tv deal and so could and hopefully will show some WC games,including the US games.

The RLWC rights were sold seperately to any other rights, so FSE showing the Exiles match will have no bearing on the WC

It's not a perfect solution, but you can get an online subscription and an HDMI cable.

Have a cable, would already be able to watch it online free somewhere in the dark depths.. How's the quality?

Have a cable, would already be able to watch it online free somewhere in the dark depths.. How's the quality?

Watched part of Thursday's Championship match on my laptop when the signal on TV went. Perfectly good. Have now realised that I've got a lot more flexibility where to watch Premier Sports and am not banished now to the back room TV that's got the Premier Sports subscription on.

Watched part of Thursday's Championship match on my laptop when the signal on TV went. Perfectly good. Have now realised that I've got a lot more flexibility where to watch Premier Sports and am not banished now to the back room TV that's got the Premier Sports subscription on.

Ahh, something to think about then! Thought I was gonna have to go round to the inlaws to watch it!

The RLWC rights were sold seperately to any other rights, so FSE showing the Exiles match will have no bearing on the WC

I am just basing this on post #599 where the poster states that Fox will be showing some of the WC games. If this is correct then thet mar retransmit them on their US outlest as they have done with NRL and SL.

I understand that the World Cup TV rights have bben sold separately but if Fox have a minor piece of that then what i suggested may ensue. I hope so. the exposure to the US marketis needed for the nascent US game especially seeing as how RU is really taking off over there.

Great news. Looking forward to the seeing England lifting the WC with the Aussies stood in the background with faces like smacked bumms.

I'd prefer it even more if England are lifting the WC with the Kiwis stood in the background with faces like smacked bums.

I must say, unfortunately, having Gareth Widdop  out for the season  to me means the Poms' chances of winning the RLWC have dived big time: you have top forwards and good outside backs but your halves are ordinary  ( No 1 halfback pick is now a kiwi: Rangi Chase, who's ordinary!)

Sorry, i want the Poms to win, but Widdop injury is a huge loss ...

Two tickets bought for England vs Ireland.

It seems like I've coaxed a fairly substantial part from Kings Lynn RL Club to attend the semi-final at Wembley too!

Just announced that Tanni Grey-Thompson will attend the finals day of the wheelchair world cup down there in Kent.  That's quite a coup.  I hope the RLWC office doesn't just limit its press release to Twitter (which is where I saw it) but tries to get the news out there to the wider world as she is a very well established and high profile name in sport.

Just announced that Tanni Grey-Thompson will attend the finals day of the wheelchair world cup down there in Kent.  That's quite a coup.  I hope the RLWC office doesn't just limit its press release to Twitter (which is where I saw it) but tries to get the news out there to the wider world as she is a very well established and high profile name in sport.

Who?

EDIT: Ah, OK http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/page/index.html/_/latest-news/paralympic-legend-to-attend-wheelchair-world-cu-r105

You can add two Aussies for the Opening game and an Aussie and two Irish for the Final for ticket sales.

You should all also go the the game in Limerick where you can have a boozy irish weekend on the scenic west coast AND watch Ireland and Australia to boot.

Bloom, the marketing partner for the World Cup has got lots of interesting snippets about how things are going.

http://www.bloomagency.co.uk/what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-social-media-with-the-haka-rugby-league-world-cup-2013s-host-day/

Some of the statements there sound very positive.

"It was exciting to hear that all of the biggest venues for the world cup’s fixtures are way ahead of target for ticket sales, and the team have been busy building relationships and spreading the word across a whole host of media."

"David Brook (Business and Sport Development Manager at The Shay Stadium, Halifax) then outlined how he has been planning one of the largest haka performances with primary schools as part of the education programme. It’s great to see that this world cup is already leaving a legacy with 190 schools signed up to be a part of the event."

"...we were challenged by Martin to brainstorm ideas for the arrival of the match-day balls, execution of an overarching marketing campaign around 100 days and wow moments for each fixture.  This was a great section of the day as it gave each round table a chance to exchange suggestions and think big – again I can’t tell you all of the ideas we came up with as some will be used but I can say that we weren’t afraid to go big!"

Went along to my local, the Junction in Otley, ready to put 6 names down for their fun bus trip to Old Trafford, but too late, it filled up within the week

Looks like Id better get some tickets pronto...

Count 6 more for the final, another batch of tickets bought by the Juntion, Otley and a bigger bus hired due to greater than expected demand

Now, lets ghave a look at the group games...

Im proper looking forward to world cup cant believe it starts in 4 months tomoz. I got tickets for opener semis n final so far n got 4 non rugby league fans to make the trip wiv us to wembley aswell : ) Gonna book the rest of the England games nearer time plus a few others hopefully. roll on oct 26th!!!

You should all also go the the game in Limerick where you can have a boozy irish weekend on the scenic west coast AND watch Ireland and Australia to boot.

Forgot to mention that I shall be attending that game with the Irish folk I know who will doing their best to bring as many Irish friends they can to the game

Bloom, the marketing partner for the World Cup has got lots of interesting snippets about how things are going.

http://www.bloomagency.co.uk/what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-social-media-with-the-haka-rugby-league-world-cup-2013s-host-day/

Some of the statements there sound very positive.

"It was exciting to hear that all of the biggest venues for the world cup’s fixtures are way ahead of target for ticket sales, and the team have been busy building relationships and spreading the word across a whole host of media."

"David Brook (Business and Sport Development Manager at The Shay Stadium, Halifax) then outlined how he has been planning one of the largest haka performances with primary schools as part of the education programme. It’s great to see that this world cup is already leaving a legacy with 190 schools signed up to be a part of the event."

"...we were challenged by Martin to brainstorm ideas for the arrival of the match-day balls, execution of an overarching marketing campaign around 100 days and wow moments for each fixture.  This was a great section of the day as it gave each round table a chance to exchange suggestions and think big – again I can’t tell you all of the ideas we came up with as some will be used but I can say that we weren’t afraid to go big!"

Thanks for posting that. interesting, informative and positive.

The Fiji vs Ireland game looks to be selling very well. You can only buy more than 2 x tickets together in Section G of the Main Stand. The other six sections are either sold our or individual seats.

The games I'd be worried about attendance-wise would be:

1. Australia vs Fiji at Langtree Park - why the tickets are so expensive I'll never know.

2. New Zealand vs Samoa at Warrington - as per above.

3. Scotland vs USA at Salford

4. Tonga vs Cook Islands at Leigh

Not seem to be selling too well. It's only a guestimate of course.