Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

More interesting RLWC tidbits in today's SMH

World Cup door remains open for SBW, whether he's contracted or not

Sonny Bill Williams will be eligible for selection in the season-ending Rugby League World Cup even if he has not signed an NRL contract for next year.

His future remains uncertain as he signed just a one-year deal with Sydney Roosters. The Bondi Junction outfit is desperate to retain him and the ARL Commission earmarked changes to the salary cap that will make league a more attractive option for star players.

However, the lure of returning to rugby - and the prospect of playing at the Olympics in sevens and in another World Cup tilt in the 15-man game - will also be strong for one of the biggest drawcards in either code. It is also unclear what impact his interest in boxing might have on his availability.

However, Williams would be eligible to play in league's showpiece international event if he remains a free agent. It is possible he could be considered even if he defects back to rugby.

Advertisement

''From an RLIF point of view, the federation would work hard to ensure the best possible players represent their country,'' said Rugby League International Federation secretary Andrew Hill.

''If Sonny hasn't got a registered contract with the NRL, I don't see that as being a reason for him not to participate in the Rugby League 2013 World Cup.''

The rule also applies to departing Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall, who could make his league swansong at international level before switching to union. Asked if a player would be eligible for the World Cup even if contracted to a rival code, Hill - who also holds an executive posting at the ARLC - said: ''That would be a matter the RLIF board would have to consider in conjunction with the member nations of the international federation.''

Injuries limited Williams to just seven rugby league Tests between 2004 and 2008 and he was not part of the team that upset Australia in the last World Cup final. While Kiwi officials desperately want him to be part of their title defence, Williams also qualifies for Samoa.

Manly centre Steve Matai, who has represented New Zealand on a dozen occasions, will switch his allegiance to Samoa. He has already been in Williams' ear in an attempt to get him to do likewise.

''After our last game we played against the Roosters, I had a quick chat to him afterwards,'' Matai said. ''I said: 'What are you doing at the end of the year? Let's go play for Samoa.' He hadn't made his mind up yet. I think he'll get a lot of backlash if he chooses to play for Samoa instead of New Zealand. But I'll ask, don't worry about that.''

Matai has been chipping away at another schoolfriend with dual eligibility, Thomas Leuluai. The three, who attended Mount Albert Grammar in Auckland together, have until early October to decide whether to reunite for the Pacific nation.

Hill said there was no specific deadline. ''The week after the NRL and Super League grand finals is the week each nation must submit its playing squad to the World Cup organisers,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/world-cup-door-remains-open-for-sbw-whether-hes-contracted-or-not-20130725-2qnet.html#ixzz2a8gwKklK

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/world-cup-door-remains-open-for-sbw-whether-hes-contracted-or-not-20130725-2qnet.html#ixzz2a8gqaBJz

First World Cup was 1995. Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool. Awesome. That tournament probably made me an RL fan for life.

Me too!

(At the time there was some very disparaging articles in some of the broadsheets before the tournament started sating that as league was a game played only in half of Australia and two counties in the north of England a World Cup was a ridiculous idea).

I can still remember watching Mathew Ridge"s drop goal attempt in the last minute against Australia on a little tv in my parents house.

Got the Kings Cross Travelodge for £35/room, booked it a few months ago but there may still be rooms at a decent rate. Tube goes from Kings Cross to Wembley with only abou 4/5 stops

Just checked that out on Tripadvisor CF. Looks like you were over charged. Anyone else have any ideas for hotels in London at around sixty to seventy five quid a night for the semi weekend? I don't want to be too far out of the way. :D

Mr Smith from the Yorkshire post is reporting that only 10,000 tickets have been sold for the millennium stadium.  That doesn't seem to fit in with the impression I have got from here? 

Mr Smith from the Yorkshire post is reporting that only 10,000 tickets have been sold for the millennium stadium.  That doesn't seem to fit in with the impression I have got from here? 

I am in complete disbelief from that figure, so much so that I actually crossed a line in questioning him about it.

I don't care if people do call me a sock puppet anymore, I'm still going to talk the game up wherever possible.

Just checked that out on Tripadvisor CF. Looks like you were over charged. Anyone else have any ideas for hotels in London at around sixty to seventy five quid a night for the semi weekend? I don't want to be too far out of the way. :D

Trip Advisor, booking.com and Laterooms will cover about all of your options.

Add a search on Travelodge and Premier Inn as well.

We used LondonTown.com for Wembley CC Final rooms and have the Crown Plaza in Blackfriars for £76 per night.

I am in complete disbelief from that figure, so much so that I actually crossed a line in questioning him about it.

I don't care if people do call me a sock puppet anymore, I'm still going to talk the game up wherever possible.

It does seem a low figure.  He's also saying Wembley sales are poor too.

Trip Advisor, booking.com and Laterooms will cover about all of your options.Add a search on Travelodge and Premier Inn as well.We used LondonTown.com for Wembley CC Final rooms and have the Crown Plaza in Blackfriars for £76 per night.

Cheers Shaun.

I was going to post something about Canetman's identity being finally revealed, but realised he'd never claim a figure as high as 10,000. :P 

It doesn't add up that figure. Of the middle tier at Millennium we know 21 of 38 bays are sold out. That in itself is 10,000 tickets.

Throw in the other 10 bays in the bottom tier and that's another 5,000 tickets.

So that's 15,000 assuming no other bays have sales in them which we know there has been.

Honestly if only 10,000 tickets had been sold only one side of the ground would still be open.

Who is this guy? What is his evidence? Has anyone forwarded a copy of his comments to the rfl/RLWC press team

Who is this guy? What is his evidence? Has anyone forwarded a copy of his comments to the rfl/RLWC press team

He's a journalist and he has a source....

Where has he said this?

Twitter -

@PeteSmithYEP - Been getting some stick for saying ticket sales for the Cardiff World Cup opener are poor. The figure I've heard is 10,000

And

Not heard how they are going, but Wembley's not great apparently.

If you click on the buy a ticket link for Millenium Stadium, there are 29, by my count, bays that say 'sold out'

If you click on the buy a ticket link for Millenium Stadium, there are 29, by my count, bays that say 'sold out'

Exactly, there is a difference between blocking out a section because you don't want to (or can't) sell it and putting in 'sold out' . Also, if ticket sales are so poor why have they opened around another 20 bays in the last month?

The organisers also mentioned that 40% of all tickets had been sold. Why would they mention this if they had only sold 12% of tickets for the opener?

Northern journalist in doom shocker.

RLWC officials should rebut this, can anyone confirm they know about these allegations

RLWC officials should rebut this, can anyone confirm they know about these allegations

Yeah. We need to know about the allegator.

This is the one thing that worries me tbh. We keep hearing that the big games are selling well, but obviously 'well' is subjective.

The amount of open bays suggest decent sales but the lack of any number suggests it could be lower than many think.

Saying ticket sales are going well and they are looking for a full house is a positive story.

Announcing sales of say 9k will not help.

I think had sales passed 20-25k we would have heard a number.

My contacts suggest that investors are ready to build a new super stadium for west Cumbria - okay my contact is the voice in my head, but...

This is the one thing that worries me tbh. We keep hearing that the big games are selling well, but obviously 'well' is subjective.

The amount of open bays suggest decent sales but the lack of any number suggests it could be lower than many think.

Saying ticket sales are going well and they are looking for a full house is a positive story.

Announcing sales of say 9k will not help.

I think had sales passed 20-25k we would have heard a number.

But why would the RFL put 29 bays as 'sold out' as opposed to greying out etc? Even they can be this stupid. This was only done recently too. Some of the other bays you also can't buy 3 seats together. At least 15-20 new bays have been opened up in the last month.

But why would the RFL put 29 bays as 'sold out' as opposed to greying out etc? Even they can be this stupid. This was only done recently too. Some of the other bays you also can't buy 3 seats together. At least 15-20 new bays have been opened up in the last month.

im not sure what the capacity of those bays are. Are they 500 each? Thatd be around 15k. Are some smaller?

im not sure what the capacity of those bays are. Are they 500 each? Thatd be around 15k. Are some smaller?

I've just done some calculations regarding sold out areas at the Millennium.

Lower Tier Capacity: 23,500

Bays: 42 (average 559 seats in each)

Sold Out: 10 (5,595 seats)

Middle Tier: 18,000

Bays: 38 (average 474 seats in each)

Sold Out: 20 (9,480 seats)

All rough estimates.

I've just done some calculations regarding sold out areas at the Millennium.

Lower Tier Capacity: 23,500

Bays: 42 (average 559 seats in each)

Sold Out: 10 (5,595 seats)

Middle Tier: 18,000

Bays: 38 (average 474 seats in each)

Sold Out: 20 (9,480 seats)

All rough estimates.

Similar to Dave T's assumption. But this is not taking into account sales in any of the other bays. I make it that approx. 90 bays are currently available for sale and 29 are marked as sold out.

Similar to Dave T's assumption. But this is not taking into account sales in any of the other bays. I make it that approx. 90 bays are currently available for sale and 29 are marked as sold out.

Aye obviously there's more tickets to add to that, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we've sold well over than what that Yorkshire journo is spouting.

I must say however I had a horrible empty feeling in my stomach just thinking about 10,000 being the actual number. I'm planning on taking my parents, both huge welsh union fans to the game... The thought of an awful attendance at a ground that they regularly visit for sold out union games really upsets me.