Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

Aye obviously there's more tickets to add to that, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we've sold well over than what that Yorkshire journo is spouting.

I must say however I had a horrible empty feeling in my stomach just thinking about 10,000 being the actual number. I'm planning on taking my parents, both huge welsh union fans to the game... The thought of an awful attendance at a ground that they regularly visit for sold out union games really upsets me.

RL fans are notoriously lazy beggars. They will wait until the last minute as usually happens. The feel for this World Cup has not been like any other in recent memory. Why would thousands of people buy tickets to Rochdale and Bristol and not give a stuff about seeing the opening ceremony and a double header (including England v Australia)? I predict at least 60k in Cardiff for the opener.

On the subject of Wembley i bought sum tickets just over a month ago in the £20 category and they wer on row 38 and now wen i put in the same amount of tickets in for the same section ther on row 2 so correct me if im wrong but for the bottom sections of stadiums they always start from the top row which means quite a few tickets hav been sold since i bought mine

From an interview with Sally Bolton in the Independent today:

Will people come and watch in decent numbers, especially when you are going up against the football season?

SB: Our target is half-a-million ticket sales across the 28 games. We have 40 per cent of our ticket sales target done – our big push starts now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/exclusive-women-calling-the-shots-as-rugby-gets-up-for-the-cups-8735138.html

I'm looking forward to seeing what "the big push" involves!!!

Me too. Great stuff as the 'push' so far has probably been bigger than anything seen before!

Me too. Great stuff as the 'push' so far has probably been bigger than anything seen before!

Fingers crossed on this one Dave.

I really want to go to the opening games now i feel its my duty to go just dont know how I can pull it off its a hard sell to people who aren't massive fans. I've got loads coming to the final.

I really want to go to the opening games now i feel its my duty to go just dont know how I can pull it off its a hard sell to people who aren't massive fans. I've got loads coming to the final.

why are you finding it a hard sell Mick?

The following events should be easy and attractive for you to take neutrals:

Opener - Eng v Aus is a brilliant event.

NZ v Samoa - nice ground, atmosphere and two huge teams hitting each other.

Eng v Fiji - as above, Eng should win but that doesnt bothrr fans of otger sports!

Semi finals - double header with potentially Eng v NZ and Aus v Samoa - should be awesome!

I understand some games are a tough sell, im not getting many from Edinburgh to come to Workington but there are some great events to get new fans involved.

I've just done some calculations regarding sold out areas at the Millennium.

Lower Tier Capacity: 23,500

Bays: 42 (average 559 seats in each)

Sold Out: 10 (5,595 seats)

Middle Tier: 18,000

Bays: 38 (average 474 seats in each)

Sold Out: 20 (9,480 seats)

All rough estimates.

Just having a scan at some photos of the stadium, and some of the middle tier blocks are very small, particularly at the end. A quick count shows that some of the sold out blocks in the corner have a capacity of around 250 - so four of the blocks account for 1k sales. The middle tier corners probably only hold around 3.5k combined and this accounts for 12 of the sold out blocks.

Of course these are just done with the naked eye, but gives an indication that sales could be slightly more challenging than we hope.

The huge £60-99 sections along the touchlines worry me, although to get 4 together you are moving out towards the 20m line.

I meant the game at Cardiff Dave. A lot of the people who are coming to games with me are casual fans so are happy to attend the local games to us which are the games at headingley hudds and halifax but won't do the final and opener due to cost and if its one or the other the final is always going to be more appealing so there's 20 of us going to that.

Please don't think I'm moaning about the venue or anything like that as that's not what I'm getting at all.

I meant the game at Cardiff Dave. A lot of the people who are coming to games with me are casual fans so are happy to attend the local games to us which are the games at headingley hudds and halifax but won't do the final and opener due to cost and if its one or the other the final is always going to be more appealing so there's 20 of us going to that.

Please don't think I'm moaning about the venue or anything like that as that's not what I'm getting at all.

No no, I wasn't taking it that way, was genuinely interested as to what kind of feedback you were getting as to why people didn;t want to go.

I'm in a slightly different position that I live in Edinburgh, and trying to get people interested in a weekend in Cardiff is much easier than getting them to come along to Workington!

Just bought my tickets to the final using the tickets page at manutd.com - very few tickets for the game are remaining, judging by the effort it took to find two together on both there and the RLWC ticket page - surely a great sign?

As a visual aid, a football league play off (2004) between Hudds and Mansfield attracted 37,298 people to the Millennium, here's a photo of the stadium mid game.

post-40781-0-17537500-1375038751_thumb.jpg

As a visual aid, a football league play off (2004) between Hudds and Mansfield attracted 37,298 people to the Millennium, here's a photo of the stadium mid game.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I assume there are plenty of empty seats off camera? That crowd figure is half full, yet there aren't half the seats empty there.

I assume there are plenty of empty seats off camera? That crowd figure is half full, yet there aren't half the seats empty there.

I'd like to think we will be easily able to top the figure at that game, anyway on topic here's a snap at the other end.

post-40781-0-38765000-1375039349_thumb.jpg

I'd like to think we will be easily able to top the figure at that game, anyway on topic here's a snap at the other end.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those top tiers are massive aren't they! If we can fill the bottom two tiers at least that will look very impressive.

No no, I wasn't taking it that way, was genuinely interested as to what kind of feedback you were getting as to why people didn;t want to go.

I'm in a slightly different position that I live in Edinburgh, and trying to get people interested in a weekend in Cardiff is much easier than getting them to come along to Workington!

Tell him the match is on the edge of the lake district in Keswick West, why els call the ground Derwent Park?

Tell him the match is on the edge of the lake district in Keswick West, why els call the ground Derwent Park?

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that many on a coach trip to the Lakes in November either.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get that many on a coach trip to the Lakes in November either.

Judging by the traffic someone does :(

At the moment we're attending....

Opening Weekend -  hotel booked already - travelodge above the Walkabout

Saints game - Aus v Fiji

Final

Probably

Wire game - NZ v Samoa

Wigan - Quarter Final

Just wondering: are we ever going to hear of any TV coverage of RLWC 2013 beyond the UK and Oz????

Got a reply from RLWC2013 on their FB page in response to the journo's twitter I received this reply to my question of whether he's tweets were correct  re: poor ticket sales at Millennium & Wembley- "I can categorically state he is wrong on both counts".

Got a reply from RLWC2013 on their FB page in response to the journo's twitter I received this reply to my question of whether he's tweets were correct  re: poor ticket sales at Millennium & Wembley- "I can categorically state he is wrong on both counts".

What a surprise. :no2:

I've been following ticket sales at both locations for along time now. I don't have the details on me as I am away from home at present but only 2 x £30 bays are left available at Cardiff along with 1 x £25 bay. Only 3 x £20 bays were available this morning. Now I think the RLWC are being very crafty with this and closing bays when a certain amount have been sold in order to fill up those other areas. However, that will look great on TV in my opinion. I spoke to the RFL on the phone the other day and they are about to open up the £50 area in the Upper East Stand too. A few more sections are also sold out in the £60 and £99 sections as well.

Other evidence to good ticket sales in Cardiff is the difficultly in booking accommodation in Cardiff itself. There is very little available. Therefore I think the journalist is well off the mark with his estimates for Cardiff.

As for Wembley, most sections are stating tickets unavailable on the website as well so again I think he is inaccurate with his comments.

I think the journo bloke just said it so the RLWC would hopefully respond with some figures for him, and everyone, to publish.

It's been a while I think since any sort of press release relating to ticket numbers.

Yeah. We need to know about the allegator.

not the crocodile? :-)