Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

Any Rovers' supporters have any idea when the north stand tickets at Craven Park will be on sale?

I think the number of articles we see in the likes of The Guardian and Independent plus local press where games are being held, I find it hard to believe most people don't know the world cup is on. Of course we should maximise the amount of publicity as possible, but it has been tracking well.

Someone should also tell them that the seating plan graphic for Wembley has been down for over a week.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/details/event.aspx?itemref=9324&utm_source=rlwcHome&utm_medium=MidRight_SF1_BuyRedBox&utm_campaign=rlwcsite_reskin

The Workington graphic has also been down for at least a couple of days. In fact at the moment none of the graphics are working. Not great really when that's pretty much the only way to buy tickets online.

It's working now. However, having looked at the best available feature, they are selling Cat 1 and Cat 4 tickets in Club Wembley plus a few £99 seats in the grey areas around the tunnel. These are not highlighted on the graphic, which is pretty annoying. So it's positive for ticket sales that these are now on sale but not particularly user friendly for supporters; they won't know they are available!

From Nigel Wiskar's 13 Things column, "Sussex Merlins chairman Nick Weston tells me he has bought 107 tickets for the World Cup semi final double header at Wembley". Impressive!

It's working now. However, having looked at the best available feature, they are selling Cat 1 and Cat 4 tickets in Club Wembley plus a few £99 seats in the grey areas around the tunnel. These are not highlighted on the graphic, which is pretty annoying. So it's positive for ticket sales that these are now on sale but not particularly user friendly for supporters; they won't know they are available!

It looks like this has been sorted now. All areas are now open in the lower bowl and Club Wembley - the sections round the tunnel are now in yellow.

I think the number of articles we see in the likes of The Guardian and Independent plus local press where games are being held, I find it hard to believe most people don't know the world cup is on. Of course we should maximise the amount of publicity as possible, but it has been tracking well.

As surprising as it may seem, I have just done my own straw poll of work colleagues and acquaintances I have spoken to over the last hour non where aware. As I had conference calls and quite a few telephone calls plus chat at coffee shop between it was a fair number.      Quite a few got confused with the 2015 rugby union but non the rugby league.

As surprising as it may seem, I have just done my own straw poll of work colleagues and acquaintances I have spoken to over the last hour non where aware. As I had conference calls and quite a few telephone calls plus chat at coffee shop between it was a fair number. Quite a few got confused with the 2015 rugby union but non the rugby league.

What strategy do you think would raise awareness

What strategy do you think would raise awareness

Given that we don't have a media that will hand out press coverage for us we need to really work hard for all our publicity. We can't sit back and hope that things improve, we need to get out there and make it happen. For starters, I would organise a national tour of the country, focused on areas where the games are occurring and taking the trophy to local schools, fetes, shows etc to generate publicity in the local area. We could perhaps work with logistics partners to facilitate this e.g. a car hire company to transport the stands, trophy etc between towns.

I would also try and engage with the national network of Rugby League clubs by offering them incentives to buy tickets (such as cashback schemes) as this effectively gets the clubs working as sales agents for the World Cup.

Finally, given that we are not blessed with a massive budget for the tournament, I would seek to make use of social media by creating profiles on Twitter, Facebook etc and then holding competitions and posting regular updates to engage with the millions who use these channels.

Given that we don't have a media that will hand out press coverage for us we need to really work hard for all our publicity. We can't sit back and hope that things improve, we need to get out there and make it happen. For starters, I would organise a national tour of the country, focused on areas where the games are occurring and taking the trophy to local schools, fetes, shows etc to generate publicity in the local area. We could perhaps work with logistics partners to facilitate this e.g. a car hire company to transport the stands, trophy etc between towns.

I would also try and engage with the national network of Rugby League clubs by offering them incentives to buy tickets (such as cashback schemes) as this effectively gets the clubs working as sales agents for the World Cup.

Finally, given that we are not blessed with a massive budget for the tournament, I would seek to make use of social media by creating profiles on Twitter, Facebook etc and then holding competitions and posting regular updates to engage with the millions who use these channels.

Aren't the organisers doing a lot of this anyway?

Aren't the organisers doing a lot of this anyway?

No, the RFL are rubbish at "marketing" - have you not been reading this forum?

It looks like this has been sorted now. All areas are now open in the lower bowl and Club Wembley - the sections round the tunnel are now in yellow.

Are you part of the team Dave? :tongue:

That is great news though. They must have changed it straight after I came off this morning. Excellent to see loads of areas are sold out for the semi finals. Bays 110 and 113 in the Cat 5 sections are down to individual tickets, as is 107 in the Cat 4 section. So that is another 3 x bays more or less sold out too. So that is nearly 51000 seats on sale so far. If England are doing well, there could be a very large crowd with much of the top tier open too I reckon.

No, the RFL are rubbish at "marketing" - have you not been reading this forum?

I can't tell if you are being serious or have a joke?!

I can't tell if you are being serious or have a joke?!

Ha ha, no I'm one of the ones that would like the World Cup to be a success, and believes that the organisers have done a decent job so far towards making it so. Like many on here, I get frustrated at people who are so negative about everything.

Ha ha, no I'm one of the ones that would like the World Cup to be a success, and believes that the organisers have done a decent job so far towards making it so. Like many on here, I get frustrated at people who are so negative about everything.

Ah right, I was going to post the link to the website to show you all those things were being done!

NB. With Club Wembley now open, you can still get tickets half price (£20 in most areas) with the 100 days code, which is still working!

NBA Star gets a taste of Rugby League

Rugby League won an unlikely new fan last week, after NBA megastar Serge Ibaka receivied an impromptu Rugby League training session from England’s Ben Jones-Bishop and USA’s Ryan McGoldrick.
The Oklahoma City Thunder star was in Manchester to promote his side’s showdown with Philadelphia 76ers later this year, and Rugby League World Cup sent two stars of the game over to introduce Ibaka to what is considered by many to be the world’s toughest team sport.
“I hadn’t played any Rugby League before, and I think it showed, but it was good fun to get a lesson from Ben and Ryan,” said Ibaka, who stands 6’ 10” and is regarded as one of the top shot-blockers in the NBA. “I kept on wanting the throw the ball like an American football! The boys tried a bit of basketball too and I don't know what needs more work - their basketball or my Rugby League. It was great to try a new sport though and I'll have to keep an eye out for how they both do at Rugby League World Cup 2013.”
“Training with Serge was great fun and it was great to see him in action. He can rest assured that my future very much lies in Rugby League though as my on-court skills weren’t quite there,” said Jones-Bishop.
“With Rugby League World Cup 2013 kicking off on October 26 and Serge coming back for his game just before, there’s such an appetite for sport in this city,” said McGoldrick. “Our sports are quite similar as the strengths lie in the speed and agility of the players, but as Ben says Serge can sleep safe with the knowledge that there no room for us on the basketball court.”

All Cat 5 sections at Cardiff are now gone (bar individual tickets and reserved ones in Bay 41). Bays L7, L8, L10, L11, L12, L13, L29 and L31 are individual tickets only and the other sections (via the website) look like they are selling well. The lower tier holds 23'500 so I am going to hazard a guess that around 75% of those seats have been sold. So that is approximately 17500 seats gone in the bottom tier.

All Cat 4 sections are sold out. Bays M7, M8, M9, M10, M11, M12, M28, M29, M30, M31, M32 and M33 are sold out (or unavailable). M6 and M13 are also selling well (the other 8 x M bays have very few sales). The middle tier holds 18,000 (the North middle tier is not available yet) so therefore again, I will hazard a guess that around 50% of those tickets have been sold. So approximately 9000 tickets have gone in the middle tier.

The Upper Tier is harder to judge. It holds 33,000. Out of 42 sections, 18 have been opened for purchase (approximately 14000 seats). Now only 3 of them actually have tickets to release at present as ticketmaster/the RFL seem to shut sections after a certain amount have been sold. Many of the Cat 7 sections were around the rows 12-15 mark when they were last open and most of the Cat 6 sections were rows 17-19. The website states that the Upper Tier has between 33-37 rows per section. Therefore I will be conservative with this estimate and state that a minimum of 1/3 tickets have gone in the available upper tier sections, so approximately 4700-5000 seats.

Therefore my guestimate is that over 31,000 tickets have been sold for the Opening Ceremony. This of course is only a guestimate but backs up the information released by the RLWC 2013 team when you look at the 40% figure sold in total. 10,000 is way off the mark from that reporter.

:)

Still interested in the views of the straw pollsters as to what would inform their work colleagues about an event they were previously unaware of

Lots of talk about ticket sales are this, ticket sales are that. I am hopful they are doing well and there are a lot of signs that they are:-

1. Press releases from various clubs saying there are not many tickets left in various sections (Rochdale, Workington, Neath etc...) 
  2. The RLWC organisers saying they are ahead of schedule to sell 500,000
  3. The RLWC being top of the most popular sports events on ticketmaster website
  4. New marketing ideas that are being pushed at regular intervals (today's being the trafalgar square event) 
  5. Large areas of the big 3 matches marked as 'Sold Out'

My only concern is that, once again, specific numbers are ot being discussed. Surely if 30,000 tickets had been sold for the opener they would have said, or 50,000 for the final or even 20000 for Wembley.

Am really hopeful that there will be a big turn out at most matches and will be talking as many friends as I can to as many matches as I can get to without getting divorced.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

I would like to see the TV broadcaster of the major games (BBC) promote it more. Not just on TV but also on web-sites in particular BBC sports website. For example like Sky did for the recent Lions tour. When ever I clicked in to watch a Rugby League video on the Sky website I got a promotional advert about the Lions tour before the video sequence. 

Through the clubs community, school work, and other RL web sites  could have competitions for the children that included having to get parents participation.   If at the beginning did a really big prize (a bit like willy wonka golden ticket) through web sites and social media of RFL, clubs and Broadcaster that built up week by week that reached a crescendo with the grand prize.... Hospitality for them and family plus on air seat in the BBC commentary panel for major match days and trips to NRL games in Australia, etc etc...

:)

Still interested in the views of the straw pollsters as to what would inform their work colleagues about an event they were previously unaware of

My straw poll was mainly work colleagues and friends that would be described by marketing people as  "professionals in the higher income brackets".  Most in the ICT sector.  Heavy users of social media and latest hi-tech gizmo's (I personally am not a technophile) in particular smart apps on smart-phones and users of digital media.  So any promotional material via those channels like a apple I-phone app that had competition that incorporated Rugby League aspects pushed through the channels that the marketing team would have information on that is accessed by high aspirational professionals with a high level university degree .  Any marketing professionals would have that info... but I would guess that the marketing professionals would write off this section as unlikely to attend so why waste time.   I would suggest they would be wrong as a lot have children that would love sport and to promote it as an elite sport would gain interest.  Plus I'm one that loves rugby league and have done since a very early age.

My straw poll was mainly work colleagues and friends that would be described by marketing people as  "professionals in the higher income brackets".  Most in the ICT sector.  Heavy users of social media and latest hi-tech gizmo's (I personally am not a technophile) in particular smart apps on smart-phones and users of digital media.  So any promotional material via those channels like a apple I-phone app that had competition that incorporated Rugby League aspects pushed through the channels that the marketing team would have information on that is accessed by high aspirational professionals with a high level university degree .  Any marketing professionals would have that info... but I would guess that the marketing professionals would write off this section as unlikely to attend so why waste time.   I would suggest they would be wrong as a lot have children that would love sport and to promote it as an elite sport would gain interest.  Plus I'm one that loves rugby league and have done since a very early age.

I hope they are reading this but just in case I will quote it to them on their Facebook page etc; Sounds like good ideas, not sure on costs though