Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

I would like to see the TV broadcaster of the major games (BBC) promote it more. Not just on TV but also on web-sites in particular BBC sports website. For example like Sky did for the recent Lions tour. When ever I clicked in to watch a Rugby League video on the Sky website I got a promotional advert about the Lions tour before the video sequence. 

Through the clubs community, school work, and other RL web sites  could have competitions for the children that included having to get parents participation.   If at the beginning did a really big prize (a bit like willy wonka golden ticket) through web sites and social media of RFL, clubs and Broadcaster that built up week by week that reached a crescendo with the grand prize.... Hospitality for them and family plus on air seat in the BBC commentary panel for major match days and trips to NRL games in Australia, etc etc...

Has anyone emailed the BBC to suggest they promote it a bit more?

The World Cup organisers have now opened up the top tier of the East Stand. Great news and an indication that ticket sales continue to progress nicely at Cardiff.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/details/event.aspx?itemref=9323&utm_source=rlwcHome&utm_medium=MidRight_Eng_v_Aus_BuyRedBox&utm_campaign=rlwcsite_reskin

Shush! Trying to buy 12 tickets on the front row over the next couple of days! :tongue:

Yet again all of the graphics on the ticket site are down, meaning nobody can buy any tickets. This really is unacceptable.

Yet again all of the graphics on the ticket site are down, meaning nobody can buy any tickets. This really is unacceptable.

I find the staff at the RL ticket office fantastically helpful and it's much easier to book by phone than struggle with the website.

Very happy this morning - 12 x tickets bought for the opener on the very first row of U10! :D

Been good to see the focus on the USA v Cook Islands this week. Tickets are only on sale in 3 of the 4 stands, but seat tickets in the east stand seem to have sold out and in one block in the south stand. I reckon that 572 terrace tickets have also been sold. Be interesting to see how tickets move over the new few weeks and in the lead up to the match itself. In the eastern terrace, my ticket was number 36, so they've been selling 30-40 tickets each month for that part of the ground each month.

Not exactly a stampede for tickets but coming along nicely. Probably about 1500 tickets sold so far.

Been good to see the focus on the USA v Cook Islands this week. Tickets are only on sale in 3 of the 4 stands, but seat tickets in the east stand seem to have sold out and in one block in the south stand. I reckon that 572 terrace tickets have also been sold. Be interesting to see how tickets move over the new few weeks and in the lead up to the match itself. In the eastern terrace, my ticket was number 36, so they've been selling 30-40 tickets each month for that part of the ground each month.

Not exactly a stampede for tickets but coming along nicely. Probably about 1500 tickets sold so far.

I have ticket #251 in UPTR (WHICHEVER ONE THAT IS) WHICH i ORDERED ON 17/07

EDIT: damn capslock

The Upper Tier is harder to judge. It holds 33,000. Out of 42 sections, 18 have been opened for purchase (approximately 14000 seats). Now only 3 of them actually have tickets to release at present as ticketmaster/the RFL seem to shut sections after a certain amount have been sold. Many of the Cat 7 sections were around the rows 12-15 mark when they were last open and most of the Cat 6 sections were rows 17-19. The website states that the Upper Tier has between 33-37 rows per section. Therefore I will be conservative with this estimate and state that a minimum of 1/3 tickets have gone in the available upper tier sections, so approximately 4700-5000 seats.

Slightly incorrect in my observations of the Upper Tier. Looks like they have sold more (basing my estimates on purchasing 5 seats together). Currently up to:

U2 - Row 13, U3 - Row 15, U4 - Row 19, U14 - Row 21, U15 - Row 19, U16 - Row 18, U17 - Row 17, U18 - Row 21, U19 - Row 19, U20 - Row 20, U21 - Row 23, U22 - Row 23, U23 - Row 13, U24 - Row 13, U25 - Row 17, U35 - Row 17, U36 - Row 13, U37 - Row 11.

Good news as it looks like around half the available Cat 6 and Cat 7 tickets have been sold. Continued strong sales and we'll hopefully see North Upper Tier opened up as well.

On my way home from the office last night I saw an advert at Baker Street Tube station for the Rugby League World Cup Roadshow in Trafalgar Square on Friday 23rd August.

It should be good even if that buffoon Boris turns up.(I hope we give him a traditional warm northern welcome!)

Lots of talk about ticket sales are this, ticket sales are that. I am hopful they are doing well and there are a lot of signs that they are:-

• Press releases from various clubs saying there are not many tickets left in various sections (Rochdale, Workington, Neath etc...) 
  • The RLWC organisers saying they are ahead of schedule to sell 500,000
  • The RLWC being top of the most popular sports events on ticketmaster website
  • New marketing ideas that are being pushed at regular intervals (today's being the trafalgar square event) 
  • Large areas of the big 3 matches marked as 'Sold Out'
My only concern is that, once again, specific numbers are ot being discussed. Surely if 30,000 tickets had been sold for the opener they would have said, or 50,000 for the final or even 20000 for Wembley.

Am really hopeful that there will be a big turn out at most matches and will be talking as many friends as I can to as many matches as I can get to without getting divorced.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

I used to be a big fan of announcing the amount sold but I think this has actually backfired in the past and we've ended up with less there than was announced.

I can see the reasoning in announcing that it is about to sellout but often I think it puts people off. I remember I managed to get tickets to the GB vs Aus game at Wigan in 2003 on the day despite announcements all week that it was about to go.

I like the vague yet positive statements, they imply that it is going to be a success without discouraging people from buying thinking that they have or are likely to fully go.

I like the vague yet positive statements, they imply that it is going to be a success without discouraging people from buying thinking that they have or are likely to fully go.

Completely agree. Sometimes I think our enthusiasm for events gets in the way and we want exact details of how they are going rather than just letting the events sell themselves. I am a nightmare for it (see my constant posts on ticket sales! :D). As league fans, we do find reasons not to go rather than to go in my experience so the current announcements are good in my opinion.

It should be good even if that buffoon Boris turns up.(I hope we give him a traditional warm northern welcome!)

So in order to sell the RLWC to the population of the capital, you'd chose NOT to utilise the most influential man in the city? That would be a clever idea! I hope Boris gets heavily involved and even attends the semi-finals himself. As much as certain people are not liked by the more traditional rugby league areas due to politics etc, we should positively encouraged anybody (well almost anyone!) to attend RL events across the country.

So in order to sell the RLWC to the population of the capital, you'd chose NOT to utilise the most influential man in the city? That would be a clever idea! I hope Boris gets heavily involved and even attends the semi-finals himself. As much as certain people are not liked by the more traditional rugby league areas due to politics etc, we should positively encouraged anybody (well almost anyone!) to attend RL events across the country.

Quite. And Boris has been on hand to boost all the other events that are fully or partly in the capital.

He'll give good quotes and increase the chance of the media acknowledging the existence of the tournament.

I have ticket #251 in UPTR (WHICHEVER ONE THAT IS) WHICH i ORDERED ON 17/07

EDIT: damn capslock

That means they have shifted 82 tickets on that terrace at Bristol in the last 3 weeks. Be interesting to see what figures are in a week or so, after this week's awareness raising campaign.

Ooh, got to start looking out for those posters on the Tube now! :)

This is one fixture with next to no interest for the average RL fan and is at a non heartlands venue to boot. In my opinion, anything around 3,000 will be a good attendance for this game.

I have a vested interest in this as ny wife is from Massachusetts so I will be there waving the stars and stripes in return for her co operation at the England games.

Ooh, got to start looking out for those posters on the Tube now! :)

Make sure to loudly say how interesting they look

Interesting debate developing on facebook about the posters with people suggesting areas to put up advertising. The RLWC 2013 team seem willing to send posters to people to advertise in their local areas if anyone is up for it? I am going to put some up in Northwest London and West Norfolk if they will send me some.

Also interesting was a discussion about sponsors. The RLWC team stated the following: "RLWC2013 is building a panel of partners. Stand by for more announcements in the weeks ahead!" Sounds promising!

On my way home from the office last night I saw an advert at Baker Street Tube station for the Rugby League World Cup Roadshow in Trafalgar Square on Friday 23rd August.

It will be good, particularly IF Boris turns up- he has three quarters of a million followers on Twitter which means that there will be lots of people hearing that there is a World Cup happening and some of those will purchase tickets as a result. I am not sure what you mean by a northern welcome, I suspect it is to jeer a very popular public figure- imagine the negative headlines that act would generate and would be totally counterproductive.

Think it's a great idea to take over Trafalgar Square on the Wembley Friday, everyone in our party is going down to it.

Hopefully there will be a snowball effect, loads of League supporters in their different club shirts creating a great atmosphere will attract passerbys to take an interest and get involved.

This is one fixture with next to no interest for the average RL fan and is at a non heartlands venue to boot. In my opinion, anything around 3,000 will be a good attendance for this game.

I have a vested interest in this as ny wife is from Massachusetts so I will be there waving the stars and stripes in return for her co operation at the England games.

It was one game I was really hoping to get to but finances have dictated otherwise.

There was a sudden flurry of media coverage for RLWC 2013 in Sydney TV and radio this week !

Unfortunately, it was all about the Indigenous All Stars v NRL All Stars game being postponed for 2014 because of the late-finishing World Cup - but it did mean the dates and awareness for RLWC 2013 were definitely raised …

There was a sudden flurry of media coverage for RLWC 2013 in Sydney TV and radio this week !

Unfortunately, it was all about the Indigenous All Stars v NRL All Stars game being postponed for 2014 because of the late-finishing World Cup - but it did mean the dates and awareness for RLWC 2013 were definitely raised …

Is Benji Marshall going to union before or after our World Cup?