Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

meh. Bloody Featherstone. No disrespect like.

meh. Bloody Featherstone. No disrespect like.

Good reward for the ground improvements they have been making. Don't know if they will be finished by then though. Is also a good little reminder to some core RL fans about the World Cup, to help shift some tickets for some of the group games in the north.

i just get frustrated with the lack of strategy for places like Scotland. We have seen games in Scotland for years now and in WC year they get no games at all. Not a one. Why should anybody from Scotland buy into this Northern England sport?

i just get frustrated with the lack of strategy for places like Scotland. We have seen games in Scotland for years now and in WC year they get no games at all. Not a one. Why should anybody from Scotland buy into this Northern England sport?

We certainly need both Scotland & Ireland to be playing home internationals every year as part of a regular structure that locals can understand and buy into over a period of time. Not sure this World Cup warm up would be a good game to play in Scotland though. The promo on top of the World Cup would be too much, and it would likely be played in front of a poor crowd & would only be bad PR for the main event.

We certainly need both Scotland & Ireland to be playing home internationals every year as part of a regular structure that locals can understand and buy into over a period of time. Not sure this World Cup warm up would be a good game to play in Scotland though. The promo on top of the World Cup would be too much, and it would likely be played in front of a poor crowd & would only be bad PR for the main event.

there are loads of games in Yorkshire. Loads. We will have plenty of empty seats in those games. Scotland v PNG wont be a big draw anywhere - Scotland are the only European WC team not to play at home this year.

There are loads of games in traditio.sl areas, on one hand we expanded the WC to try and expand the game, on the other we stage no Scotland games in Scotland - it is a contradiction.

It's not just Scotland, the nz team won't have stepped foot in nz this year. Their training camp will take place in Sydney after the nrl season and they'll fly out from there.

rlwc_library-van13005.jpgrlwc_library-van13001.jpg

The Rugby League World Cup 2013 is coming to a community near you!

A specially-branded RLWC2013 van will be making its way across Wrexham in the lead up to the town hosting two matches at this autumn’s tournament.

Wrexham’s mobile library has been given a RLWC2013 makeover to help promote first major global sporting event to be held on British soil since the Olympics.

The RLWC2013 branded van will visit over 70 locations across the country borough in the lead up to the tournament. It provides a very popular service to those areas of the county borough which are not within easy reach of a branch library.

Wonder if we could get Stobart to re-brand their HGVs with RLWC branding :ph34r: ?

Regarding the Scotland v PNG game, Scotland RL published the following:-

"Just to clear up the points on why this game is not in Scotland. Financially it would not be viable for Scotland Rugby League to host this game as the costs of facility, and two squads would push us to far given we have the World Cup coming up. The sensible compromise is to have it hosted in the North of England where most of our players live and play, additionally the PNG squad will be in camp in Yorkshire therefore removing that cost from ourselves."

Regarding the Scotland v PNG game, Scotland RL published the following:-

"Just to clear up the points on why this game is not in Scotland. Financially it would not be viable for Scotland Rugby League to host this game as the costs of facility, and two squads would push us to far given we have the World Cup coming up. The sensible compromise is to have it hosted in the North of England where most of our players live and play, additionally the PNG squad will be in camp in Yorkshire therefore removing that cost from ourselves."

Shows the games lack of ambition imho.

Shows the games lack of ambition imho.

I disagree, IMO the Scots have taken the sensible option over risking a potential loss of money; something Scottish RL isn't overly blessed with.

I disagree, IMO the Scots have taken the sensible option over risking a potential loss of money; something Scottish RL isn't overly blessed with.

the fact a team cant afford to stage a game in their home country when the opposition is based around 200miles away is an issue imho.

the fact a team cant afford to stage a game in their home country when the opposition is based around 200miles away is an issue imho.

Tend to agree. Surely a two-night stop in a Marriott Hotel plus train travel the day before/after the match couldn't cost that much?

rlwc_library-van13005.jpgrlwc_library-van13001.jpg

The Rugby League World Cup 2013 is coming to a community near you!

A specially-branded RLWC2013 van will be making its way across Wrexham in the lead up to the town hosting two matches at this autumn’s tournament.

Wrexham’s mobile library has been given a RLWC2013 makeover to help promote first major global sporting event to be held on British soil since the Olympics.

The RLWC2013 branded van will visit over 70 locations across the country borough in the lead up to the tournament. It provides a very popular service to those areas of the county borough which are not within easy reach of a branch library.

What a great idea.  So simple, so obvious!  (And not very expensive either I shouldn't imagine)  Well done the local council and all those involved in organising this.

They're getting excited in PNG:

No surprise there Jim. It would be interesting to see how the prices of the supporter's tour stacks up against the PNG average wage. I just don't see how it could be accessible to the average man on the streets of Port Moresby. Good luck to the ones that do come over. France will be a bit of a culture shock for them :D

Yes, I thought the same thing …

I'd imagine there'd be very few people from PNG who could afford such a trip

HOWEVER as everyone in PNG seems to be RL-mad, then perhaps they'll get a fair few of the wealthier, middle-class PNGers on the tour, despite their actual numbers being small compared to the population of the country.

On another note, the official program of the NRL, "Big league" magazine, seems to have plenty of ads/stories/mentions for the World Cup.

On another note, the official program of the NRL, "Big league" magazine, seems to have plenty of ads/stories/mentions for the World Cup.

Great to hear Jim. The more awareness the better.

Yes, I thought the same thing …

I'd imagine there'd be very few people from PNG who could afford such a trip

HOWEVER as everyone in PNG seems to be RL-mad, then perhaps they'll get a fair few of the wealthier, middle-class PNGers on the tour, despite their actual numbers being small compared to the population of the country.

There would also be PNG expats working in Australia (and presumably earning more), I would assume.

It would be a good idea to offer anyone coming from abroad free tickets to the smaller games , they will have spend a fortune coming to support their teams and would help make a few smaller crowds look bigger

If the issue is that rugby league isn't as popular as it should be, then you are right. This isn't news to most rugby league fans though, as I'd say 99% would acknowledge this fact. Unfortunately there is no magic wand to wave to correct this and therefore we have to work with what we've got to try and slowly turn things round.

Anybody been down to Trafalagar Square today? They've been showing off both the World and Challenge Cup.

I am really looking forward to the matches in France and will be flying in from Moscow to watch them:) Anyone coming to Avignon who needs a great hotel let me know as there is a fantastic old style french one in between Avignon and Carpentras where i will be staying with a couple of the FFR committee guys the food is incredible:)))))

CM

Be sure to let us know how many people are actually staying in the hotel...

Sorry, couldn't resist