Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

Be sure to let us know how many people are actually staying in the hotel...

Sorry, couldn't resist

Not forgetting how many of them are on freebies. :P 

Anybody been down to Trafalagar Square today? They've been showing off both the World and Challenge Cup.

Some photos on Twitter already if you search 'Trafalgar Square'.

If the issue is that rugby league isn't as popular as it should be, then you are right. This isn't news to most rugby league fans though, as I'd say 99% would acknowledge this fact. Unfortunately there is no magic wand to wave to correct this and therefore we have to work with what we've got to try and slowly turn things round.

The bigger issue is that making decisions to play Scotland v PNG in Featherstone when there are loads of games in Yorkshire around that time will only contribute to keeping the game big in the North of England and very few other places.

i was listening to the bbc radio manchester sports extra show last night and they had Martin johnston on and when asked about sponsorship he said there was "good news to come imminently" about the world cup sponsor, hope it's a big name. :D

i was listening to the bbc radio manchester sports extra show last night and they had Martin johnson on and when asked about sponsorship he said there was "good news to come imminently" about the world cup sponsor, hope it's a big name. :D

What's it got to do with the former England RU captain and coach?

ok,communications manager Martin johnston.

So the former RU international player and coach is now working for the RFL?

So the former RU international player and coach is now working for the RFL?

no, martin johnson is a ex union player martin johnston is not.

Really enjoyed the event in Trafalgar Square which was attended by a mix of fans and slightly bemused tourists. Everybody loved seeing the trophies, Grubber and the World Cup dancers and there were plenty of positive words from Steve McNamara, Kevin Sinfield, Martin Offiah and George Riley. It certainly provoked a lot of interest; when I was lining up to have my photo with the Challenge Cup I was stood next to some Americans who were thrilled to hear that USA would be competing for the first time and also to a Brazilian who wants to experience the Wembley atmosphere so has bought tickets for tomorrow even though he knows nothing about the game.

Really enjoyed the event in Trafalgar Square which was attended by a mix of fans and slightly bemused tourists. Everybody loved seeing the trophies, Grubber and the World Cup dancers and there were plenty of positive words from Steve McNamara, Kevin Sinfield, Martin Offiah and George Riley. It certainly provoked a lot of interest; when I was lining up to have my photo with the Challenge Cup I was stood next to some Americans who were thrilled to hear that USA would be competing for the first time and also to a Brazilian who wants to experience the Wembley atmosphere so has bought tickets for tomorrow even though he knows nothing about the game.

The bit about the Americans and the Brazilian fellow is great stuff! It's always good to know that our game has expanded horizons just through a handful of people like these.

Did you speak to either of them FK about the sport? Or any other newbie for that matter?

Opening Ceremony tickets arrived by post this morning.

don't know why people are still going on about the world cup having a sponsor???

the last world cup in australia,where RL is a billion dollar business....don't have a main sponsor either

But from memory the RLWC2008 had an impressive list of sponsors both large domestic companies and respected international brands like Coke, Gillette, Bic

The Official Sponsors of the Rugby League World Cup 2008 were:

<p>

But from memory the RLWC2008 had an impressive list of sponsors both large domestic companies and respected international brands like Coke, Gillette, Bic

The Official Sponsors of the Rugby League World Cup 2008 were:

the majority, if not all of them were established partners of the game in Oz, plus Gillette who were brought on board through the British game.

There is time for deals to be announced, hopefully some of the RFLs partners will get on board like Heinz and Tetleys.

I was at trafalgar Square yesterday; good event but boy do the girls handing out flyers need to be more aggressive and switched on in how they do it; same at Wembley today!!

theres a RLIF meeting in london this weekend...maybe further sponsors will be announced next week?

theres a RLIF meeting in london this weekend...maybe further sponsors will be announced next week?

There are definitely announcements on the way according to the RLWC2013 team and media.

Have I missed this being posted on here? It sounds terrific...

http://www.rlwc2013.com/rugby-league-world-news/article/1077/international-rl-history-finds-a

Rugby League World Cup 2013 is delighted to announce that the Manchester United Museum will stage an exhibition dedicated to international Rugby League, as Old Trafford prepares to stage the Rugby League World Cup Final.

Sadly, apart from a few pages in the programme there was no visible sign of anything to do with the RLWC at Wembley today. Although if your in to discounts. The London Double Header which had a 50% off ticket off 10 days running from 17-20 August now has another 50% off all tickets offer running from today till 5.00pm on Thursday 29th August Just quote the promotional code CCF.

Sadly, apart from a few pages in the programme there was no visible sign of anything to do with the RLWC at Wembley today. Although if your in to discounts. The London Double Header which had a 50% off ticket off 10 days running from 17-20 August now has another 50% off all tickets offer running from today till 5.00pm on Thursday 29th August Just quote the promotional code CCF.

Yes. Aside from the video at half time and the repeated promotion on the advertising boards visible to TV viewers there was nothing.

Yes. Aside from the video at half time and the repeated promotion on the advertising boards visible to TV viewers there was nothing.

Some of us have to go places to where no one else can go for them at a half-time break and some of us prefer what's on the pitch rather than the advertsing hoardings... But my point is where was the promotional vans, the flyers and the RLWC today when there was a crowd as opposed to yesterday- a working day when people could not get to Trafalgar Square. In fact would not today have been a good time to launch the England World Cup kit in a grand pre-match unveiling :excl:

Even at Leigh Sportts Village for the semi final the RFL had a little van - described to me as Ellery Van-Leigh by one of the RFL staffers - and a south sea islander looking somewhat cold advertising the Tonga v Cook Islands game. 

But I take it you were not at the LSV so whould have missed this so well done for making a live game at Wembley and I trust I will be reading more of your posts from the many World Cup games that we shall both be at.

only a few pages in the programme?  Is that all? Stuff the cup final, all the pages should have been about the world cup!

Got a decent mention on the bbc though, so it kind of restores the balance. 

The build up for the non-committed should start after the summer hols are over, kids back at school etc. say 3 weeks before the opening ceremony., in my view. 

Some of us have to go places to where no one else can go for them at a half-time break and some of us prefer what's on the pitch rather than the advertsing hoardings... But my point is where was the promotional vans, the flyers and the RLWC today when there was a crowd as opposed to yesterday- a working day when people could not get to Trafalgar Square. In fact would not today have been a good time to launch the England World Cup kit in a grand pre-match unveiling :excl:

Even at Leigh Sportts Village for the semi final the RFL had a little van - described to me as Ellery Van-Leigh by one of the RFL staffers - and a south sea islander looking somewhat cold advertising the Tonga v Cook Islands game. 

But I take it you were not at the LSV so whould have missed this so well done for making a live game at Wembley and I trust I will be reading more of your posts from the many World Cup games that we shall both be at.

I'll be at two World Cup matches.  The first semi final and the second semi final.  Thanks to the promotion yesterday it appears I'll have a few more people joining me.  I'd like to be at a lot more but the reality is such that that's not possible.

I didn't walk up Wembley Way - I came via Wembley Stadium station and there never seems to be anything on that side of the ground.  I imagine the police and health and safety would have something to say if you wanted to stick too many restrictions blocking the flow of 70,000 people - and the stallholders around Wembley would be a bit grumpy if they couldn't sell their flags and burgers because the RFL wanted to take over a stand.

But there was, then, promotion on the TV, promotion on the hoardings, promotion on the big screen and promotion in the programme.  There's also been promotion on Trafalgar Square and promotion on the tube.  From what you've said they've also been pushing it at other matches - and the twitter feed seems pretty full of targeted promotion in towns that are hosting matches.

We agree about how the event would have been a good one to launch the England kit - I even wrote that on here on Friday.

They really need to be pushing the Opening Ceremony in Cardiff now. I'd probably give away the entire Upper West Stand as free tickets to local schools in and around Cardiff as they are never going to sell those tickets at present. It would give the promoters a decent target to fill the rest of the ground: 25,000 tickets in the next two months; easily achievable if they get the promotion right.

I thought the promotion was fine. Even my 2 little ones (combined age 15) made the link between the World Cup and Wembley. I have read some nonsense in my time, but to slag off the WC promotion yesterday is as daft as I've seen for a while.