Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

They really need to be pushing the Opening Ceremony in Cardiff now. I'd probably give away the entire Upper West Stand as free tickets to local schools in and around Cardiff as they are never going to sell those tickets at present. It would give the promoters a decent target to fill the rest of the ground: 25,000 tickets in the next two months; easily achievable if they get the promotion right.

For me what they should do is say to the WRL 'You sell those upper west tickets to schoolkids for a pound and keep the cash.' That way there's an incentive to WRL to get them into schools, sell the tickets and get the kids into the MS. Most kids here don't get to WRU internationals there due to cost so would love the chance to go for a quid.

The bigger issue is that making decisions to play Scotland v PNG in Featherstone when there are loads of games in Yorkshire around that time will only contribute to keeping the game big in the North of England and very few other places.

I can understand your disappointment but I suspect that the deal from PNG was play near where our camp is or forget it. Don't forget that they will have just travelled from the other side of the globe and are trying to settle in to what will be a very different environment for them. A quick trip up to Glasgow may seem nothing to us but it will be the last thing they need.

Scotland are fortunate to get this game and I suspect that if they'd have held out for a game in Scotland then they wouldn't have got it. On the bright side it enables them to get together as a squad and play the game away from home; that is what they are trying to prepare for after all.

I can understand your disappointment but I suspect that the deal from PNG was play near where our camp is or forget it. Don't forget that they will have just travelled from the other side of the globe and are trying to settle in to what will be a very different environment for them. A quick trip up to Glasgow may seem nothing to us but it will be the last thing they need.

Scotland are fortunate to get this game and I suspect that if they'd have held out for a game in Scotland then they wouldn't have got it. On the bright side it enables them to get together as a squad and play the game away from home; that is what they are trying to prepare for after all.

aye, sure plenty of the above is true. We do seem nervous of travelling in RL though. A couple of hundred miles is nothing in reality.

Aside from this - why have there been no mid-season games. We are just playing at being an international sport.

aye, sure plenty of the above is true. We do seem nervous of travelling in RL though. A couple of hundred miles is nothing in reality.Aside from this - why have there been no mid-season games. We are just playing at being an international sport.

Hopefully we'll get the answer to the mid season game point. I can see no good reason why the other home nations don't get a game when England play the Exiles. I assume it is cost, but hopefully one of the journalists in RL will ask the right questions & get to the bottom of that one.

Sadly, apart from a few pages in the programme there was no visible sign of anything to do with the RLWC at Wembley today. Although if your in to discounts. The London Double Header which had a 50% off ticket off 10 days running from 17-20 August now has another 50% off all tickets offer running from today till 5.00pm on Thursday 29th August Just quote the promotional code CCF.

Mind you if I have a limited budget, I would guess that most fans going to the Wembley game have some interest in Rugby League and by virtue will be more aware than most of the RLWC. Thus I would be pushing more in those area's or places where I think people are not aware.

Even with a huge budget I would be targeting more where I thought less awareness than a game mainly attended by rugby league aware people.   The event at Trafalgar Square was a good idea especially with Boris in attendance to help get more coverage in the Evening Standard and Local radio that would not cover any of the final in area's of the media that would not cover sport or rugby league.

Key for the CC final  cup weekend would be the awareness on TV coverage as I suspect more people watching would also be less aware rugby  fans than those actually attending the game. To-date for CC round games the Beeb have pushed the RLWC>

For me what they should do is say to the WRL 'You sell those upper west tickets to schoolkids for a pound and keep the cash.' That way there's an incentive to WRL to get them into schools, sell the tickets and get the kids into the MS. Most kids here don't get to WRU internationals there due to cost so would love the chance to go for a quid.

Do you know if this has been suggested or something similar to the WRL? Have the clubs in Wales been given tickets to sell?

Clubs im sure will have been, but the WRL needs to get the schools to sell them if they were doing the cash back scheme- all schools in wales are cash strapped. However, I don't think that's been done.

Clubs im sure will have been, but the WRL needs to get the schools to sell them if they were doing the cash back scheme- all schools in wales are cash strapped. However, I don't think that's been done.

The RLWC team are missing a trick then. They should be utilising as many sources as possible to sell out the game at Cardiff. Relying on northern traditional rugby league fans to buy 50,000 tickets isn't going to happen.

Pen-y-Bont Crusader, I've just sent the RLWC 2013 team a message via secure messaging on Facebook suggesting the ideas we have come up with on here. I don't imagine they will see sense and do such a thing but we can only try. I'll let you know what they say.

Really enjoyed the event in Trafalgar Square which was attended by a mix of fans and slightly bemused tourists. Everybody loved seeing the trophies, Grubber and the World Cup dancers and there were plenty of positive words from Steve McNamara, Kevin Sinfield, Martin Offiah and George Riley. It certainly provoked a lot of interest; when I was lining up to have my photo with the Challenge Cup I was stood next to some Americans who were thrilled to hear that USA would be competing for the first time and also to a Brazilian who wants to experience the Wembley atmosphere so has bought tickets for tomorrow even though he knows nothing about the game.

Press release & photos below.

Rugby League Debut in Trafalgar Square a Huge Success

10,000 queue to see trophy

Rugby League played in iconic venue for first time

The Rugby League World Cup 2013 Roadshow spent the day in Trafalgar Square, London on Friday August 23.

As a prelude to the Tetley’s Challenge Cup Final fans, tourists and Londoners alike joined in the fun. Players from both London Broncos and Medway Dragons Wheelchair team played Rugby League in the shadow of Nelson’s Column.

Fans old and new were entertained by visits from England coach Steve McNamara, England captain Kevin Sinfield and RLWC2013 ambassador Martin Offiah, as well as Wigan Warriors players Andy Powell, Epi Lauaki and Anthony Gelling. Adults and kids alike tried skills challenges and joined in with the RLWC2013 dance team.

Over 10,000 people queued in the sunshine to see the Rugby League World Cup trophy. More than 50,000 visited the square throughout the day and took part in the challenges.

trafalgar1.jpg

trafalgar2.jpg

The success of Avignon seems to be having a positive flow on effect for the Perpignan game, with tickets moving a lot faster now.

Tribune Guasch Laborde is now over half sold with three and a half of the six bays gone. Tribune Quest is around 40% sold, whilst the main stand, the main two bays are gone, and significant chunks of the rest are also moving.

Press release & photos below.

Rugby League Debut in Trafalgar Square a Huge Success

10,000 queue to see trophy

Rugby League played in iconic venue for first time

The Rugby League World Cup 2013 Roadshow spent the day in Trafalgar Square, London on Friday August 23.

As a prelude to the Tetley’s Challenge Cup Final fans, tourists and Londoners alike joined in the fun. Players from both London Broncos and Medway Dragons Wheelchair team played Rugby League in the shadow of Nelson’s Column.

Fans old and new were entertained by visits from England coach Steve McNamara, England captain Kevin Sinfield and RLWC2013 ambassador Martin Offiah, as well as Wigan Warriors players Andy Powell, Epi Lauaki and Anthony Gelling. Adults and kids alike tried skills challenges and joined in with the RLWC2013 dance team.

Over 10,000 people queued in the sunshine to see the Rugby League World Cup trophy. More than 50,000 visited the square throughout the day and took part in the challenges.

trafalgar1.jpg

trafalgar2.jpg

Looks an absolute fantastic initiative, probably quite cost effective too; certainly when compared to the TV and newspaper advertising that is sometimes suggested.

Trafalgar Square certainly gets some hammer, doesn't it!

Looks an absolute fantastic initiative, probably quite cost effective too; certainly when compared to the TV and newspaper advertising that is sometimes suggested.

Trafalgar Square certainly gets some hammer, doesn't it!

It was a good initiative but needs to be backed up. In London and South Wales, the best option would be the Metro newspaper. It is free and is read by millions every day. One/two large adverts per week until the Wembley Semi-Finals will see millions see the game advertised and will shift tickets at both locations. It would also be worthwhile contacting the editors and see if they would do any articles on the competition.

Quite like the idea of not getting bogged down in number of tickets sold for matches. The plan is to sell 500,000 tickets and to deliver a great event that people enjoy and that delivers a good financial return.

If she can deliver than, then good on her. She seems confident and she seems to have a good reputation.

Maybe rather than constantly banging on about how many tickets have been sold, only for people to criticise the actual crowd on the day (eg Challenge Cup final last weekend) she prefers to wait for the usual moaners to expect only 10,000 to be at Cardfiff and to then be pleasantly surprised when a lot more than that are there.

Just to let ppl know for anyone using east coast trains to get to wembley for semi finals, advance tickets r now out just got a return from doncaster for £18.50

Quite like the idea of not getting bogged down in number of tickets sold for matches. The plan is to sell 500,000 tickets and to deliver a great event that people enjoy and that delivers a good financial return.

If she can deliver than, then good on her. She seems confident and she seems to have a good reputation.

Maybe rather than constantly banging on about how many tickets have been sold, only for people to criticise the actual crowd on the day (eg Challenge Cup final last weekend) she prefers to wait for the usual moaners to expect only 10,000 to be at Cardfiff and to then be pleasantly surprised when a lot more than that are there.

They do need to sell as many tickets as possible though and if grounds aren't full a week before the game, I'd give tickets away in droves to achieve it. They are doing cosmetic surgery presently in order to show the grounds look full, but getting 74,500 bums on seats at Cardiff is a must for mine.

I'd expect that would be the first of the World Cups extended Sponsor family being announced.  Will be good though, should give the RLWC some more media spots, and some more positive press for the tournament.

Quick Question - England v Australia at Cardiff kicks off at 2.30pm. What time does the opening ceremony start beforehand ?

Quick Question - England v Australia at Cardiff kicks off at 2.30pm. What time does the opening ceremony start beforehand ?

1330hrs according to the tickets!

1330hrs according to the tickets!

with the BBC coverage starting at 2 it suggests this wont be covered.

How do u know BBC coverage starts at 2pm?

And will the BBC be showing Wales v Italy?

they have adverised it during Cc coverage. Wales v Italy is on BBC2

Does that mean BOTH opening games on are ob BBC free-to-air across the UK (albeit on different channels)?

If so, that's not bad to start the tournament ...