Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

Can anyone remember whether there were these levels of promotion in 1995 or 2000???

Because I think we're onto a winner here.

I do remember a fair bit of build up to 2000 - it appeared to be well organised, tickets were released in advance, and a fair few sponsors were signed up.

I do remember a fair bit of build up to 2000 - it appeared to be well organised, tickets were released in advance, and a fair few sponsors were signed up.

2000 was all talk. Everything was a press release by the organisers. Nothing they said or did got picked up by anyone else. Someone like Granada were the official service station of the World Cup. Never saw anything in any of their service stations, not even on the M62 corridor!!!!

There has been more broader PR about the 2013 World Cup to date, than there ever was for the 2000 World Cup, until it all went belly up!

Wow, that's an impressive sign: well done RLWC 2013 organisers.

From here in Oz, the 2000 RLWC was nothing but a disaster - and it was always going to be from the start. 16 teams was way too many, one team based on racial grounds was shocking, but the worst aspect was having it start a long 2 months after the NRL season had ended (it ended in late August in 2000 because of the sydney olympics). Playing the 2000 RLWC in the shadow of the huge Sydney Olympics also meant zero press build-up for it over here.

Ludicrous timing

For all its faults there was plenty of excitement about the 2000 WC in advance - tickets were on sale early - venues and fixtures were announced early - sponsors were announced well in advance (fyffes, emirates, posthouse, granada, Lincoln etc)

Lincoln Financial Group ran roadshows at venues in advance to promote it, there was plenty of positivity (as well as the usual negativity) and it looked like a positive spread of venues.

With hindsight there were plenty of things wrong, although there were certainly elements which were not in our control.

I remember watching a positive feature about the game in Belfast on the BBC that talked about a large crowd expected and how the council had backed the game etc. - 3,200 turned up. Similarly 2000 turned up in Glasgow - IIRC both of these games were live on the BBC and really didn;t capture the imagination of the viewers.

When you look back, some of the venue selections were terrible - New Zealand (one of the biggest draws I would suggest) were given games in Gloucester, Reading and Cardiff. Over-ambition with games in Belfast, Dublin and Scotland etc. Twickenham for starters.

My point overall though is that in advance things seemed generally positive, and we need to be careful that we don;t fall in the trap of thinking everything is great with this World Cup. We have seen loads of times press releases talking about great ticket sales and then being rather underwhelmed with the actual attendance! We are still yet to see sponsors.

Whilst the 2008 WC was very enjoyable and positive, it still felt slightly underwhelming, as though it was played safe, certainly with some of the selections - sitting in the SFS for the Kangaroos semi final with 15k in there, when the previous day I had attended the other semi final between two overseas team which pulled a much larger crowd is really not a success.

The events felt really quite low-key - the level of entertainment and occasion was much lower than a regular game. They had an 'anthem' Heroes - which was just not used at all, the song was played at the opening ceremony and Inever heard it at a game after that, including the final.

We can't get complacent, we need to keep the promotion up, we need to keep talking it up instead of talking ourselves down as we often do - the 2013 WC so far looks to have been organised brilliantly and sensibly - let's keep that up and make it the most successful WC ever.

Everything that could do wrong with the 2000 RLWC went wrong.. In terms of 'excitement' and positive vibes, the 99 Tri-Nations did Great Britain no favours, and then the mid-season test where Australia pumped NZ by a record score, more or less set public perception that the World Cup was a one horse race.

Bad weather in the UK, train strikes, the issues over international TV rights which killed the tournament's biggest revenue stream, over ambitious choices with venues, significant lack of pre-sales (despite the early on-sale, Twickenham was the only match that had more than a couple of thousand pre-sales) all contributed to what was the 2000 RLWC... throw in scheduling that just compounded the issues (opening the tournament in Belfast, playing the likes of England v Australia in front of lots of empty seats all hurt).

Fast forward 13 years, and things have changed. The Kangaroos and Kiwis struggled to draw decent crowds at home in 2000, now they have a healthy supporter base. NZ's tournament wins in 04 and 08 have shown the Kangaroos aren't invincible any more. People from outside of Europe will actually travel to support tournaments like this, versus in 2000 it was all die in the wool RL fans... Throw in other factors now like nations such as Scotland & Ireland actually have runs on the board now (almost 20 years of being around versus 3-5), more sensible scheduling so have a bit more creditability, the fact RL's supporter base has actually grown over the past 13 years (Average attendance of SL in 2000 - 7,415 versus 10,151 in 2012 (37% increase), plus TV audiences are significantly greater) the environment is there for a far better tournament than 2000.

That said, what Dave T says is correct, we can't be complacent, and just think the tournament will just continue to chug along and be a success. Honestly where possible we should be, as fans of the code, should be trying to help promote the code. Even if it's just by raising awareness or getting people thinking about the event, every extra eyeball on TV viewing, or ticket or piece of merchandise the tournament sells helps change perception about RL's events, and hey whilst people might not say 'RLWC2013 was the biggest and best sporting event ever in the UK', we can hopefully move a long way from the comments everyone was saying after the 2000 tournament.

Do/have/will the ticket prices change? I think I better get my bum in gear and get the Halifax and Huddersfield games bought.

just got 9 for the opening games.. Gonna wait till i'm a bit more cashed up then get the Wembley tickets..!

The big question is the opening double header: it's a huge stadium and without a huge crowd it could be a damp-ish squid. Any news on ticket sales for the opener?

And I suppose once kick-off times are confirmed, ticket sales may start to pick up again … any news on that and/or TV deals both domestic and international?

Read something on twitter last night that BT Vision were interested in some capacity in the RLWC rights.. to what degree i do not know though

Read something on twitter last night that BT Vision were interested in some capacity in the RLWC rights.. to what degree i do not know though

I really hope BT do get involved. Perhaps the only company left that has pockets deep enough to give Sky some competition for SL

Bad weather in the UK, train strikes, the issues over international TV rights which killed the tournament's biggest revenue stream, over ambitious choices with venues, significant lack of pre-sales (despite the early on-sale, Twickenham was the only match that had more than a couple of thousand pre-sales) all contributed to what was the 2000 RLWC... throw in scheduling that just compounded the issues (opening the tournament in Belfast, playing the likes of England v Australia in front of lots of empty seats all hurt).

It wasn't strikes on the railways, it was the virtual paralysis of the entire national network after a major rail disaster, where every mile of track had to be checked for cracks. I remember commuting on the Thameslink line during those times, and it was a nightmare, even for a short journey within London.

any news on that and/or TV deals both domestic and international?

Something due to be announced soon

It wasn't strikes on the railways, it was the virtual paralysis of the entire national network after a major rail disaster, where every mile of track had to be checked for cracks. I remember commuting on the Thameslink line during those times, and it was a nightmare, even for a short journey within London.

yeah i remember having to stand up on the train all the way to london the train going no faster than 40mph, there was some terrible weather as well.

yeah i remember having to stand up on the train all the way to london the train going no faster than 40mph,.

That's not the norm then? ;)

Good to see that North Stand Tier 2 Tickets are now available to buy for the final at Old trafford.

The advertisment at Cardiff was concerning on Saturday though.

I attended the Wales v Ireland Six Nations game at the millenium stadium with a 74,500 attendance and spent the entire night after going from bar to bar, walking around the city and i seen no mention of it whatsoever. Ridiculous thought not advertising during the this time. Speedway at the stadium got a crowd of £50,000 BECAUSE THEY ADVERTISED so stupid if they are not doing this in a Rugby Fanatical nation.

Kick-off times to be announced any time now according to RLWC2013.

One thing that is very different about this world cup, and this is part of the Richard Lewis legacy is that everyone in RL in the UK, knows that the pinnacle of 2013 as far as rugby league goes is the World Cup. It's not the challenge cup, or the grand final, its 30 November at Old Trafford.

For far, far too long, the club game has been what it is all about and international game afterwards. This year, every player, journalist, even Sky on the opening night of SL, is talking about the world cup at the end of 2013.

That is as it should be. Richard Lewis often said that the biggest area for growth in rugby league lay in the international game, and it is looking like the 2013 World Cup is going to be another step towards that.

Note the Kingstone Cider deal for the championship today and their link to England RL and how great it is "in world cup year".

Kick-off times to be announced any time now according to RLWC2013.

One thing that is very different about this world cup, and this is part of the Richard Lewis legacy is that everyone in RL in the UK, knows that the pinnacle of 2013 as far as rugby league goes is the World Cup. It's not the challenge cup, or the grand final, its 30 November at Old Trafford.

For far, far too long, the club game has been what it is all about and international game afterwards. This year, every player, journalist, even Sky on the opening night of SL, is talking about the world cup at the end of 2013.

That is as it should be. Richard Lewis often said that the biggest area for growth in rugby league lay in the international game, and it is looking like the 2013 World Cup is going to be another step towards that.

Note the Kingstone Cider deal for the championship today and their link to England RL and how great it is "in world cup year".

There was a RLWC 2013 Bristol marketing/steering group meeting earlier today. Couldn't attend myself but I'm pleased that they seem to be meeting every few weeks to put in place plans to really hammer the promotion. Lots of stuff being planned with schools to raise awareness and drive sales. Should be lots of announcements soon on that score.

Ticket sales have now exceeded 100,000, and the lower tier at Wembley has now sold out, or virtually sold out. So that's 20% of the tickets shifted already.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I haven't seen it.

This is from the horses mouth, so to speak. Ray Tennant at the RFL, today, and happy to be quoted as such.

There's one amateur club over in Yorkshire who are taking 14 coaches so far!!

Ticket sales have now exceeded 100,000, and the lower tier at Wembley has now sold out, or virtually sold out. So that's 20% of the tickets shifted already.

This is from the horses mouth, so to speak. Ray Tennant at the RFL, today, and happy to be quoted as such.

Shamazeballs.

I don;t suppose it was mentioned when they expect the upper tier to go on sale?

Wonder if the "ring of indifference" at Wembley will be filled for a world cup.

I'm not holding my breath.

That's impressive. We've managed to fill one coach and our reason is still months away.