Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Frightful

Hull City Council close Library to save annual rent of £85,000.

7 posts in this topic

it all stems from the internal accounting rules set up by a certain government years ago, if one department works in a building 'owned' by another department then you have to have an over paid bunch of accountants to prove that the council paid proper rent to itself and wasn't treating itself favourably by renting its own buildings to itself for nothing.

Strangley the same government didn't apply the same rules regarding rent backs to private businesses using it is a tax fiddle.

Local government accountancy rules were ridiculous for many years, but towards the latter end of my time there... I left in 1998 ... they became much more flexible. I'd have thought that the true savings on closing the library come on staffing, heating, transport, archiving etc. The rent argument may be just a filibuster.

For once, I agree with Padge on a political issue. See BBC explanation from 2002 about how this works.

So, who owns the building that the library was situated in?

Well, Hull City Council actually. :rolleyes:

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

What an absolute farce.

We have spent a lot of money improving and extending the Western Library in the Boulevard, which is quite close, so I don't believe people will suffer from closing the library at the stadium.

Back to the Boulevard it is then.

Shame

Back to the Boulevard it is then.

If only I'd thought of that as a headline...