Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

How pleased are you with your national newspaper?

41 posts in this topic

With the press in the spotlight, do you get good value for money and variety from your national newspaper? I gave up on the Daily Express at the beginning of the year over the obsession of the weather forecasts as its front-page headline. The adverse weather has appeared five times in two weeks as its main headline (three of those warning us of an extreme cold month). If it's not the weather, then it's EU, pensions and health issues (arthritis, satins and diabetes). Surely there is much more going on in the world to report on?

Don't but them anymore. Don't miss them either. Tend to read The Guardian and BBC online.

Don't but them anymore. Don't miss them either. Tend to read The Guardian and BBC online.

Communist!!!! ;)

Communist!!!! ;)

Thank you! And I thought by not mentioning my occasional dip into The Morning Star, I'd get away with it.

The Times, more out of a thirty year habit rather than anything else. It would be cheaper just to buy some books of Sudokus and Crosswords.

The Times, more out of a thirty year habit rather than anything else. It would be cheaper just to buy some books of Sudokus and Crosswords.

Ditto, for the Daily Telegraph.

Same here. I read the Indy and the guardian online but find myself buying the Times more than any other newspaper.

With the press in the spotlight, do you get good value for money and variety from your national newspaper? I gave up on the Daily Express at the beginning of the year over the obsession of the weather forecasts as its front-page headline. The adverse weather has appeared five times in two weeks as its main headline (three of those warning us of an extreme cold month). If it's not the weather, then it's EU, pensions and health issues (arthritis, satins and diabetes). Surely there is much more going on in the world to report on?

How do you get your news on princess Di?

Class War

Catholic Worker

Grauniad

Times

Telegraph

I buy the Guardian on Saturdays, Observer on Sundays. I buy LE on Monday and it lasts me until Thursday so I sometimes buy the Mirror on Fridays.

on-line: Guardian, Independent, Telegraph, Mail, Louth Leader, MCN, BBC, Tenlinks

print: Times now and again, Private Eye most fortnights, D3D, AEC News

Out of interest, are these choices due to overall quality content or more political leaning? There are people who will not buy certain newspapers.

Out of interest, are these choices due to overall quality content or more political leaning? There are people who will not buy certain newspapers.

I buy the Guardian because it more or less reflects my politics and also for the quiz and crossword in the colour mag.. I buy the Observer for the same reason - I'd buy the Indy but their crossword is too hard for me. I can manage the Everyman in the Observer most Sundays. I also get Private Eye once a fortnight - my daughter subscribes as my Chrismas present - it saves her and me having to think of something.

I buy the Guardian because it more or less reflects my politics and also for the quiz and crossword in the colour mag.. I buy the Observer for the same reason - I'd buy the Indy but their crossword is too hard for me. I can manage the Everyman in the Observer most Sundays. I also get Private Eye once a fortnight - my daughter subscribes as my Chrismas present - it saves her and me having to think of something.

With the Daily Express repeating the same tired stories as well as people struggling financially and strong competition from online, I do wonder if any newspaper will go under in the future? The Dandy comic is going online in order to compete in the current market place.

As far as newspapers are concerned, I'm not too bothered about the political leaning, more about a good overhaul read. Having said that, my good wife still wants to go back to buying the Daily Express due to the crosswords! :rolleyes: I do enjoy my monthly Lancashire Magazine, especially to see what new walks I can go on. It is very good value for money, especially if you subscribe for a full year - and which includes package and postage for £10 (my last cost).

I follow a nice, diverse range of people on twitter who put links up to whatever's making them angry or excited. I stopped reading the Independent (which I had read nearly every day for 20 years) when it become too thin to justify the £1 price tag. I put the money saved towards a nice black filter from Pret and pocket the penny change.

I follow a nice, diverse range of people on twitter who put links up to whatever's making them angry or excited. I stopped reading the Independent (which I had read nearly every day for 20 years) when it become too thin to justify the £1 price tag. I put the money saved towards a nice black filter from Pret and pocket the penny change.

Pity you don't use an independent coffee shop.

Class War

Catholic Worker

Grauniad

Times

Telegraph

think you will find class war no longer print a paper

think you will find class war no longer print a paper

I remember Class War arguing (and being serious) that football hooligans were actually working class warriors fighting for a cause and we should side with them.

I would never buy the sun, for obvious reasons. It is also ######.

Pity you don't use an independent coffee shop.

They don't sell me a coffee for 99p