See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Guns don't kill people, American Footballers do ...

21 posts in this topic

An interesting weekend in the wacky and violent world of US football culture.

Jovan Belcher, a linebacker with Kansas City, shot dead his girlfriend and then drove to his team's practice facility and then shot himself in front of the coach who he had just thanked.

This has had the impact of bringing together two debates that are burbling away in the background: gun control and head injuries.

Gun control via a prime time comment by Bob Costas which was widely denounced by meatheads who want to shoot things.

And head injuries because there's a growing body of evidence linking random violence and suicide with injuries sustained on-field. (Warning: contains Daily Mail)

Oh, and Kansas played the game anyway. And won.

At first I was pretty shocked they played the game, but then I guess it's going to have to be played at some point and that isn't going to lessen the impact of the event. Don't know if I would play, but I guess the players must have decided it would take their mind off things, however temporary that might be.

The real tragedy though is the three month old daughter who will grow up without knowing her parents.

At first I was pretty shocked they played the game, but then I guess it's going to have to be played at some point and that isn't going to lessen the impact of the event. Don't know if I would play, but I guess the players must have decided it would take their mind off things, however temporary that might be.

The real tragedy though is the three month old daughter who will grow up without knowing her parents.

I believe the alternatives presented were playing ... or playing later in the week.

Some American's views on gun control rarely fail to sadden, frustrate and sicken me. This one tweet does all 3 things with aplomb.

" If Jovan Belcher’s girlfriend had a concealed carry permit she might still be alive."

I believe the alternatives presented were playing ... or playing later in the week.

Oh wow, didn't know that. There are bigger issues in the story, but that seems a little daft

America's gun laws are pretty crazy (do you really need an assault rifle?) but in many ways pandoras box is open. The criminals carry guns, police carry guns, lots of citizens carry guns, that box will never now be closed. The NRA have so much power that any restrictions would be fought, even banning the stupid guns (sniper rifles, etc) would be too far for them.

Already idiots on the internet are saying this is what happens when you make schools gun free zones....

Typo corrected

Typo corrected

@ AnnCoulter - I'M ON HANNITY RADIO RIGHT NOW! more guns, less mass shootings ...

She might be a nutter in my eyes (and I think yours) but she represents the thinking of a significant group of people (in terms of numbers and money).

Don't think you can reasonably comprehend the differences between a non gun culture like ours (for now at least) and one like the US. If you're brought up having a gun, the thought of not having one is probably incomprehensible. I can sort of see where they are coming from in part. I mean, you don't get many gunmen running wild and attacking an army base do you? It does tend to be easy targets.

Not that I know much about it all to be honest.

Yeah but then they start advancing BS argument about how someone with a knife could have done just as much damage. And yet all modern armies use guns not knives as their main killing device.

Yeah but then they start advancing BS argument about how someone with a knife could have done just as much damage. And yet all modern armies use guns not knives as their main killing device.

Unlikely that anyone could kill 20+ people with a knife in a similar scenario. With a gun there is always the 'scattergun' effect to account for. A knife will result in a mass brawl with several victims but unlikely to reach that many victims. Besides, why haven't we seen an outbreak of mass knifing attacks?

On the same day a man in China has been on a stabbing spree injuring 22 people including children. A horrific incident but because he didn't have a gun no one is dead.

Guns are bad things. The sooner the good ol U.S of stateside realises this the better.

And yet in Switzerzerland a country where gun ownership is compulsory for male citizens over the age of 20 this kind of outrage does not take place. So why the difference?

I bet the figures for Premier League soccer clubs would be comparable. It's what happens when thick people get arrogant, indulged, and a sense of invincibility.

I think you'll find that 'clever' people commit domestic violence. A person's propensity for spouse abuse has nothing to do with cognitive ability, wealth, or social standing. Beating your partner up has nothing to do with a person's sense of 'invincibility'-just the opposite. Also substance abuse: alcohol , drugs and so on are a major factor in this huge social problem.