Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacific RL

2014 Rugby League Nines tournament

5 posts in this topic

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10851410

I hope Tonga, Samoa and the Fijians are invited to this party. Numbers of teams and players has gone up in Fiji but our code is struggling in all three islands because it lacks international test matches or tournaments.

The PM of Samoa and Tonga declared a national holiday when their union team won international tests against Wales and Scotland and the same yesterday when Samoa won a sevens tournament in Dubai on sunday. Not much has happen since all three teams took part in the last RLWC and its a shame.

What I've read sofar about this tournament suggests it'll just be the Australian clubs, which is a bit of a wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, if it is a success, they could expand it. If they wanted to, that is.

I would love to see a nines circuit come out of this in the near future and only then can we dream of commonwealth games and the olympics.

Of course, if international teams were allowed to take part, the Aussie clubs would probably complain that there were too many games, and pull out of the tournament...