Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

The Southern Independence Party

101 posts in this topic

Oi....Oldham's no better :D

Heywood, Middleton, Rochdale, Oldham.... all as bad as each other.

Bury ain't to bad...

Bury ain't to bad...

Hey! Don't start on Heywood and Middleton! :angry:

Flippn' 'eck we are getting it from all sides - where is Methven Hornet when you need him.

Oh yes, Scotland.

Yes, they are talking about the town I love (loved it so much I now live in Scotland!)

Bury ain't to bad...

Middleton is alright, only because its on my cycling route to Saddleworth moor :D.

I go to the South quite a lot. Not the South East - the South. It seems ok. Salisbury is a very pretty town. We fed the ducks at Wilton the other week with my grandaughter it was great, but then you can do that in Wakefield park. But the only place I've ever seen a lass bearing her ###### in a pub in public and another lass taking a picture was in Southern England. I've never seen anything like that in a pub in Yorkshire.

Well the only group of 'women' (and I mean group, not 1or 2 individuals) to squat and ###### together in full view of kids we had in our party at the side of a coach they had just got off were from Bradford. This scene was at the GF a few years ago.

Well the only group of 'women' (and I mean group, not 1or 2 individuals) to squat and ###### together in full view of kids we had in our party at the side of a coach they had just got off were from Bradford. This scene was at the GF a few years ago.

Ah, you've met the wife then?

When I go back north and go shopping in Rochdale, I have to confess I do not suddenly think 'wow, I should move back, the quality of life looks amazing'. I'm usually trying to avoid the gangs of tracksuit wearing youths and the general feeling of depression.

TBF, I live in leafy Littleborough and hardly ever go into Rochdale.

But when the sea levels rise and the South is an uninhabitable swampland, Rochdale and Oldham will be prime real estate. And I'm for pulling up the drawbridge.

We had a client visit about 18 months ago who told us that, up to that point, the furthest North she'd ever been was 'Oxford once'.

To be fair, Rochdale is a depressing s**thole.

It's character building.

Ever been to Luton? Stevenage? Just the same.

There's nice places and dumps all over the country and its ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

I go to the South quite a lot. Not the South East - the South. It seems ok. Salisbury is a very pretty town. We fed the ducks at Wilton the other week with my grandaughter it was great, but then you can do that in Wakefield park. But the only place I've ever seen a lass bearing her ###### in a pub in public and another lass taking a picture was in Southern England. I've never seen anything like that in a pub in Yorkshire.

Newcastle, dear boy ...

TBF, I live in leafy Littleborough and hardly ever go into Rochdale.

But when the sea levels rise and the South is an uninhabitable swampland, Rochdale and Oldham will be prime real estate. And I'm for pulling up the drawbridge.

We had a client visit about 18 months ago who told us that, up to that point, the furthest North she'd ever been was 'Oxford once'.

Unlucky you. Another couple of miles up the road and you'd be in Yorkshire ;)

Middleton is alright, only because its on my cycling route to Saddleworth moor :D.

Ride fast. Ride very fast.

It's character building.

Ever been to Luton? Stevenage? Just the same.

Yeah, the missus is from Letchworth. For some reason, the towns around that part of the country just seem to have nothing going for them.

Back to McKenzie's opinion piece. His main argument is that the south east are carrying the rest of the country. That might have something to do with the fact that rest of the country was sacrificed so the south east could flourish. :rolleyes:

PS Kelvin McKenzie is a t_w_a_t.

Something's wrong with the sweary filter. I can still "Kelvin McKenzie".

Just looks like another attempt to start up a political libertarian organisation in the UK. About a year or so ago there was talk by some conservatives of starting a UK Tea Party (somehow missing the irony of having a UK version) that fizzled out quickly. Sadly though if Murdoch/The Sun promoted it there might be more traction for such a movement than we'd hope.

Back to McKenzie's opinion piece. His main argument is that the south east are carrying the rest of the country. That might have something to do with the fact that rest of the country was sacrificed so the south east could flourish. :rolleyes:

Moreover, I think we have enough credit in that particular account from the inception of the industrial revolution onwards that the south still have a few generations to catch up, whatever essentially unproductive ' industry' they engage in.

My sister is sixty, speaks two languages professionally, and has spent most of her adult life in London. She has been a senior teacher, a liaison officer for the USAAF, a senior manager for a retail group and now works as a freelance deal-with-the public trainer. She had to deliver a course in Barnsley and asked if she could stay at my house in Bradford because she knew Barnsley was somewhere in Yorkshire. She doesn't drive.

:)

My sister is sixty, speaks two languages professionally, and has spent most of her adult life in London. She has been a senior teacher, a liaison officer for the USAAF, a senior manager for a retail group and now works as a freelance deal-with-the public trainer. She had to deliver a course in Barnsley and asked if she could stay at my house in Bradford because she knew Barnsley was somewhere in Yorkshire. She doesn't drive.

I'm a bit guilty is this sort of thing. Planning our trips for next year I somehow thought Plymouth was just a little bit down the coast from Portsmouth :ph34r: . I know I'm from the South West but to us a trip to the next vale incurs the risk of running into dragons.

People in the South East do work longer hours and commuting is crappy.

That is a personal choice though and most people work relatively locally.

The quality of life is terrible in that part of the world unless you happen to be a loaded jorno / editor that is.

Depends how you define quality of life. Speaking in general terms life expectancy and general health and lifestyle in the SE is higher than in the north, quality and diversity of food is far greater, climate is better, available enterntainments are better, close proximity (or located in) what is regarded to be one of the best cities in world. You do not need to be loaded to enjoy that. Good transport links to just about all significant cities in the UK (the exception being Norwich).

The downside is in areas population density is amongst the highest in the UK and the problems that entails.

We're much better off in the north really.

Why do so many people from Northern England move south and never relocate back ?

Unlucky you. Another couple of miles up the road and you'd be in Yorkshire ;)

Oh, Littleborough sits right on the border - and resolutely on the right side.

Why do so many people from Northern England move south and never relocate back ?

Because most of the major organisations have their headquarters down south. Naturally, the northerners will soon see off the competition when it comes to landing the senior positions.

;)B)

Because most of the major organisations have their headquarters down south. Naturally, the northerners will soon see off the competition when it comes to landing the senior positions.

;)B)

It is unlikely the those who have migrated will work at the headquarters of Major Organisations, earnign and lifestyle will be a far bigger factor. I assume by 'the Northerners' you mean Scottish.

Oh, Littleborough sits right on the border - and resolutely on the right side.

Oh it's definitely on the right side ... of the M62 if you're going from Yorkshire. You can't miss Littleborough, it's right next to the Death Valley flyover and it's got an enormous lake for the locals to drown their cats in. B)

Actually, I quite like Littleborough ... they had the foresight to use Yorkshire stone for most of its town centre buildings.