Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

What's in a name?

39 posts in this topic

Bradley and Paige are destined to be on the naughty step as survey reveals most common names of poorly-behaved children

• Bradley, Jacob, William, Morgan and Joe top the 'naughtiest boys' list
  • Paige, Niamh, Natalie, Holly, Phoebe are the top five 'naughtiest' girls
  • If your child's called Benjamin or Elizabeth they're likely to be good

See http://www.schoolstickers.co.uk/index.php?main_page=more_news&news_id=9

It's funny Jacob, William, Paige, Natalie, Holly and Phoebe are what I would consider to be fairly middle class names.

I'm more terrified that we're being directed to a page by a company that is the leader in school rewards and creator of unique new behaviour management app 'Classroom Carrots'

Slightly off topic but me and Mrs Phil were at the White Rose Centre a while back, we saw a rather fat "chavvy" type woman with her equally porky offspring aged 4 ish. Child runs off and mom screams out "Oy Galadriel, get back here you little cow!"

Kid looked less like an elf princess than just about any I've ever seen,

I'm more terrified that we're being directed to a page by a company that is the leader in school rewards and creator of unique new behaviour management app 'Classroom Carrots'

Ah, that would be it. This is behaviour measured by how many reward stickers you get. I remember "merit points" from my days at school. They were handed out like confetti in the bottom sets.

Ah, that would be it. This is behaviour measured by how many reward stickers you get. I remember "merit points" from my days at school. They were handed out like confetti in the bottom sets.

:angry:

I single-handedly won my house the prize for the term because of my merit point success.

Mind, I was ginger so they had to do something to help me out.

I knew he should have stayed as Ed I Tackle.

We called our son Joseph. It was an unusual name in the seventies. He was the only Joseph at all his schools - he hated it. Now he's Joe and he loves it.

It's funny Jacob, William, Paige, Natalie, Holly and Phoebe are what I would consider to be fairly middle class names.

Oh yes I see, middle class children are always better behaved.

Oh yes I see, middle class children are always better behaved.

Of course not but averaged out of the entire country you'd imagine that "Reubens" and "Tarquins" would tend be better behaved than most.

It does tend to be schools in deprived communities that have the most behavioural issues.

Of course not but averaged out of the entire country you'd imagine that "Reubens" and "Tarquins" would tend be better behaved than most.

It does tend to be schools in deprived communities that have the most behavioural issues.

dunno i dont think i have ever met a kid called tarquin mind you in leeds he woud have changed it to joe, kevin or steve by now.

Niamh
I've not seen this name before, how is it pronounced? It was only a few years ago I found out 'Siobhan' was 'Chavonne'. I'd only known it as 'Chavonne', and even that doesn't look right.

I've not seen this name before, how is it pronounced? It was only a few years ago I found out 'Siobhan' was 'Chavonne'. I'd only known it as 'Chavonne', and even that doesn't look right.

Niamh is Neve. Didnt some woman recently call her child Hashtag?

There's a kid in my son's class called Kshitij - his mum says the K is silent. Needless to say, he likes to be known as 'Tidge'...

Coincidence - the other day, kids' names were being discussed on another message board I frequent. Among the zingers spotted by one member who does school photographs were Nicodemus, Adonis, Superman, Popeye, Blueflame and Ocean. Plus three (unrelated) children in the same year with the names Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere.

There's a family round the corner from us with kids named Sam an' Ella. And another family whose sons are called Brooklyn and Declan, who due to a mispronunciation from my Moroccan partner are known as Broccoli and Duckling in our house.

That bloke out of the Jacksons (Jermaine?) who has called their kid 'Jermajesty' has to take the biscuit. Even Del Boy would find that too ostentatious.

I always thought if the former footballer Imri Varadi ever had a son he should call him Olly.

Isn't is pronounced more like 'Shivorn' or have I been pronouncing it wrong for a while. :(

Isn't is pronounced more like 'Shivorn' or have I been pronouncing it wrong for a while. :(

I think it should be but either would be possible.

Now, let's get back to pointing at poor people and the silly names they give their fat children.

Sev, you know who to ask to get the correct pronunciation of Siobhan , Grianne, Niamh, Aislinn, Padraig.....

Niamh is Neve. Didnt some woman recently call her child Hashtag?

My granddaughter is called Niamh, with the second name of Amber.

Her sister has the second name of Clare.

Their father is a fanatical Bradford City fan.

:dry: <_<

I'm sure he only did it to annoy me.

I think it should be but either would be possible.

Now, let's get back to pointing at poor people and the silly names they give their fat children.

Oi, leave it out...what's wrong with being called John?