Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornetto

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

542 posts in this topic

Peel have an application for planning permission to develop the restof the site around Barton, There a few places to drink, but most are a walk away. Airport, Eccles RLFC etc.

The stadium needs some extra work and hopefully this wil happen they are trying out the fans bar which started late last season.

Peel have an application for planning permission to develop the restof the site around Barton, There a few places to drink, but most are a walk away. Airport, Eccles RLFC etc.

The stadium needs some extra work and hopefully this wil happen they are trying out the fans bar which started late last season.

Lets hope so, unfortunately something should have been in place when the stadium was built. Basically they've built the stadium surrounded by wasteland and nothing else and not considered much else. Train station 2 miles away, buses ?, places to eat/drink ?

Just to pick up on one more point, Salford was officially the longest time i've had to wait trying to get out of a car park lol! This is a brand new stadium with people having no idea the logistics of getting around 5,000 out of a car park, brilliant. Got out faster at 40,000+ crowds! Funny really.

In all honesty I hope something improves and I would go back but for the next few seasons I think you'll see a difference in attendance figures, if not just from away fans!

Awful situation, but who didn't see this coming unfortunately?

Salford have no money. No assets. A small squad. A small fan base. Who's going to buy them out? I think that unless a multi-millionaire willing to make a huge loss for a few years is found quickly, the RFL need to make a decision. Salford won't make it through the season for sure under present circumstances. Should they shop around for a potential replacement?

The league were willing to buy Bradford in the absence of any other buyer. The very least they can do is the same for Salford.

What are the choices then?

a) Liquidation and past players get nothing - John gets nothing and the Council also zero. Pack up and play in CC at Leigh?

b ) Administration and sell to XYZ to play at the Stadium on a basis of % of income through the gates to the Council. Pay as you play. New Company to play in SL.

Just needs a bit of creative thought doesnt it? Even so the club has to continue on a basis of if 100% comes in then a maximum of 80% goes out and Salford (2012) Ltd will be the first club - probably ever - to pay Corporation Tax!

Re the stadium, new legislation has recently come into force that requires councils to ensure that any council owned facilities can only be let at their true market value. So a % of gate income scheme may not be viable, there would need to be a minimum fixed level at commercial market rate. Allerdale Borough Council were recently forced to quadruple the rent on Workington football club's usage of Borough Park due to this requirement.

The league were willing to buy Bradford in the absence of any other buyer. The very least they can do is the same for Salford.

And presumably it will attract the same level of hysteria and condemnation?

Do Salford still play on Friday nights?

Maybe that's the problem, not very family friendly.

i see salford as a similar sized club to widnes, we have never had a massive following even when we were the "cup kings" but we have survived many calamities in the past and i really hope that salford can survive, super league needs a team in the manchester conurbation and salford must be saved.

Do Salford still play on Friday nights?

Maybe that's the problem, not very family friendly.

I think that is a bit of a red herring with respect. Friday nights haven't done Leeds and a number of other clubs any harm. Headingley is packed with kids on a Friday night.

The bulls debts were no where near as bad as Salfords are though and the RFL got a stadium out of bailing the bulls out. The RFL won't bail Salford out because there is nothing for them to gain from it. Also if they do bail Salford out why don't the rest in SL just spend whatever they want to the RFL will front the fee.

The bulls debts were no where near as bad as Salfords are though and the RFL got a stadium out of bailing the bulls out. The RFL won't bail Salford out because there is nothing for them to gain from it. Also if they do bail Salford out why don't the rest in SL just spend whatever they want to the RFL will front the fee.

The League had possession of the stadium lease at Odsal long before the Bulls went belly up, so that;s not an issue.

What's in it for the league is the maintanance of a prescence in a metropolis which used to to be league stronghold, Salford, Swinton, Broughton, Oldham and Rochdale and even Stockport used to be big players from the greater Mmanchester area. This is preservation of a major cog in the heartlands or former heartlands of the game. There is a brand new stadium for showcasing not only league games but International Games, World Cup games and Cup semi finals etc, not some rotting dump in Bradford. Manchester/Salford is a major media and polulation centre. If the game is projected as a Northern based fortress, we should not be demolishing a major gateway to the said North.

As in the Bradford scenario, any league ownership should be just a temporary arrangement until a suitable owner could be found. Don't start nattering on about precedents being set for all clubs to follow the same path, the precedent was set when the Bradford takeover was a serious proposition. The NBA bought the New Orleans franchise on 2010 and ran it until selling it to a new owner in 2011. They also made a profit on the deal, so a league takeover of Salford could be a good move for the preservation of a SL club and maybe a profitable transaction into the bargain.

As has been demonstrated the curve for Salford's attendances is towards the upside, just not enough to make the club sustainable. If the club is saved this trend might result in eventual fiscal viability for the club.

The League had possession of the stadium lease at Odsal long before the Bulls went belly up, so that;s not an issue.

What's in it for the league is the maintanance of a prescence in a metropolis which used to to be league stronghold, Salford, Swinton, Broughton, Oldham and Rochdale and even Stockport used to be big players from the greater Mmanchester area. This is preservation of a major cog in the heartlands or former heartlands of the game. There is a brand new stadium for showcasing not only league games but International Games, World Cup games and Cup semi finals etc, not some rotting dump in Bradford. Manchester/Salford is a major media and polulation centre. If the game is projected as a Northern based fortress, we should not be demolishing a major gateway to the said North.

As in the Bradford scenario, any league ownership should be just a temporary arrangement until a suitable owner could be found. Don't start nattering on about precedents being set for all clubs to follow the same path, the precedent was set when the Bradford takeover was a serious proposition. The NBA bought the New Orleans franchise on 2010 and ran it until selling it to a new owner in 2011. They also made a profit on the deal, so a league takeover of Salford could be a good move for the preservation of a SL club and maybe a profitable transaction into the bargain.

As has been demonstrated the curve for Salford's attendances is towards the upside, just not enough to make the club sustainable. If the club is saved this trend might result in eventual fiscal viability for the club.

Ok I agree with some of that. I take it your a cougars fan? If so if your club was in this mess would your previous post be along the same lines for your club? I don't want to see any club go out of business but I also don't want to keep seeing the RFL bailing teams out because of poor management etc.

The RFL also had wind of Bradfords financial difficulties during the licensing audit procedure.

Thats what those who were defending the RFL's stance over Bradford were saying, and all was ok.

Without knowing the exact detail the purchase of Odsal gave Bradford a short term cashflow benefit. So also at that point, the RFL had knowledge of Bradfords perilious situation (or they should have done). However, the sale of Odsal also gave rise to a VAT debt, which then caused Bradford problems later.

So for me it was all inter-twined and Thungaz's point is very relevant in that there is nothing in the Salford situation that the RFL can get out of it.

Oh, apart from purchase the Barton Stadium and charge Sale £5m p.a to use it ;)

Ok I agree with some of that. I take it your a cougars fan? If so if your club was in this mess would your previous post be along the same lines for your club? I don't want to see any club go out of business but I also don't want to keep seeing the RFL bailing teams out because of poor management etc.

The RFL saved Cougars by buying the lease to Cougar Park from the CoOp and allowing the team to play there and now the club is standing on it's own feet. It's some compensation for being shafted by being denied SL.

I am of the opinion that failed clubs, like Bradford, should be demoted and made to work their way back. That would mean a decent way of progressing to SL however, not the current ring fenced impasse.

Taking over the running of a Cc club would cost a lot less than taking over A SL outfit also.

The RFL saved Cougars by buying the lease to Cougar Park from the CoOp and allowing the team to play there and now the club is standing on it's own feet. It's some compensation for being shafted by being denied SL.

I am of the opinion that failed clubs, like Bradford, should be demoted and made to work their way back. That would mean a decent way of progressing to SL however, not the current ring fenced impasse.

Taking over the running of a Cc club would cost a lot less than taking over A SL outfit also.

You have hit the nail on the head for me by saying they should be demoted they should be even if the RFL bail them out. They still should be made to pay for the mis management etc. Also I'm not one of these people that believe SL would be a worse place without etc that's just a load of rubbish for me. I believe any club with the time the SL clubs have had in SL would make a viable SL club given the time the rest have had with no relegation etc.

According to reports, John Wilkinson is 'confident' that new investors will come forward and claims some already have expressed interest.

According to reports, John Wilkinson is 'confident' that new investors will come forward and claims some already have expressed interest.

However, based upon the comments John Wilkinson has made in the recent past when compared to the truth as it is now revealed, I don't really think anyone can believe what John Wilkinson says.

The report in full http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20698051

Salford City Reds: Wilkinson optimistic over new investment

Salford chairman John Wilkinson is still confident of attracting new investment, despite Salford City Council rejecting a £1.5m rescue plan.

Wilkinson had put together a deal that would see the council loan £750,000, a figure to then be matched by Salford City Stadium owners Peel Holdings.

The council have now decided not to spend such a sum in the current financial climate.

But Wilkinson insists: "The club just has a short-term cash flow problem.

In a statement issued on Wednesday evening, Wilkinson added: "The board and myself were obviously very disappointed to learn the outcome of the vote taken by the city council's cabinet yesterday, but we respect and understand the difficult position they were in, given the backdrop of budget cutbacks.

"During negotiations, the club has been unable to speak freely and has had to respect the process, and it has been frustrating having to sit back and leave incorrect and at times scurrilous speculation unanswered.

"If these negotiations could have been brought to a successful conclusion, as we all expected they would be, it would have secured the future of the club, however this now opens the door to other opportunities.

"The club's business plan remains solid, viable and verified by leading accounting firms."

The Reds, who are faced with a tax bill in the region of £50,000, are due in court to hear a winding-up petition on 7 January, while they are also trying to settle debts with two of their former players, Vinnie Anderson and Luke Patten.

Wilkinson had earlier said he hopes to have new cash in place within a week, reiterating his belief that the Reds, Manchester's only Super League club, were an attractive proposition.

"Salford City Reds remains a great investment opportunity for new blood with an appetite for top-level sport," he said.

"As a board we were fully committed to the deal on the table as everything had led us to believe that it would be concluded positively.

"As a result of yesterday's decision we are forced to reopen investigations into other avenues, and remain confident that with everyone pulling together in the same direction - board members, supporters, players, coaches and staff - that a positive conclusion can still be reached within the required timeframe."

Salford, who now share their Barton Bridge home with rugby union side Sale Sharks, are due to kick off next season in 50 days' time, with a home game against Wigan on Friday 1 February.

Sounds like a standard PR statement so that creditors, players, other employees and sponsors don't get even more twitchy than they already must be!

...being shafted by being denied SL......

Not that old chestnut again. Neither Keighley nor Batley were denied a 'rightful' SL place. They effectively finished 15th and 16th in the complete standings and would have replaced Hull and Donny in Div 1 the following season. Only the top 10 of Div 1 (together with London and Paris) went into the first SL. There were 4 other clubs ahead of them in the pecking order: Fev, Salford, Wakefield and Widnes.

Not that old chestnut again. Neither Keighley nor Batley were denied a 'rightful' SL place. They effectively finished 15th and 16th in the complete standings and would have replaced Hull and Donny in Div 1 the following season. Only the top 10 of Div 1 (together with London and Paris) went into the first SL. There were 4 other clubs ahead of them in the pecking order: Fev, Salford, Wakefield and Widnes.

Not quite true.

You forgot to add the bit where Keighley were horribly deep in debt.

What upward trend?

Salfords crowds have dropped over the years of SL and stagnated. The new ground had a +20% effect but the club has to start winning games to get fans.

If you think the "new ground effect" continues year on year then why aren't Hull on 42,000 crowds

I think that is a bit of a red herring with respect. Friday nights haven't done Leeds and a number of other clubs any harm. Headingley is packed with kids on a Friday night.

The clubs that it has worked for have something else to counter it - success.

People will come no matter when the time kick off is

When you are trying to grow support, its a killer.

When you are trying to grow support, its a killer.

Why hasn't it stopped all the other clubs that have grown support and played Friday nights.

Friday night may not suit you, but it suits me fine. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't suit everyone.

What upward trend?

Salfords crowds have dropped over the years of SL and stagnated. The new ground had a +20% effect but the club has to start winning games to get fans.

If you think the "new ground effect" continues year on year then why aren't Hull on 42,000 crowds

The ground has only been open for one season and the attendances at Salford have gone up for three straight years. Perhaps there is still some mileage in the new ground effect. A decent team getting to the playoffs or a good cup run together with some decent marketing might also help. Only last week on the Oldham thread you were lauding the possibility of Salford becoming a major SL player representing the whole of the Manchester megopolis. Are you now playing a second fiddle of denigrating the Salford franchise.Make up your mind or remember your previous arguments and dont just post to oppose anypoint I make.

Hull will be on 42,000 crowds when your dream of a one city team for them is achieved on the removal of Hull KR in the big push to downsize to 10 clubs. I thought you knew that when you were pushing that particular fantasy.