Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

The People that are Overrated Lookswise Thread

52 posts in this topic

Eh? How do you know what William Wallace looked like? :)

He looks a bit like Mad Max. Actually he was more like Martin Riggs.

Lets have a look, starting with the top row and moving to the right...

1. fictional 18th century engraving (William Wallace was killed in the 14th century, so the engraver wasn't working from memory!)

2. ditto

3. 17th century painting, artist unknown

4. sword

5. engraving by Walker

6. see 1. and 2.

7. Mel Gibson

8. William Wallace statue in Aberdeen, created in 1888

9. Lego man

Do you get the idea?

In reality no one has a clue what William Wallace looked like: no portraits were created during his lifetime, and none of the contemporary accounts of him give a physical description.

So, like everyone else, you haven't a clue what William Wallace looked like. ;)

He looks a bit like Mad Max. Actually he was more like Martin Riggs.

I haven't seen Mad Max, but his William Wallace character was identical to Riggs - just with a strange, vaguely west of Scotland accent.

Talking of Mad Max, Tuna Turner. Not much of a looker at any age.

Oh, and that bint off Prime Suspect who stripped off for a calendar or charity. Helen Mirren?

They both seem to have been sex symbols, even in later years but I don't know why.

In reality no one has a clue what William Wallace looked like: no portraits were created during his lifetime, and none of the contemporary accounts of him give a physical description.

True enough...but i bet he looked a bit like your Alex Salmond! :-) :-) :-)

Lets have a look, starting with the top row and moving to the right...

1. fictional 18th century engraving (William Wallace was killed in the 14th century, so the engraver wasn't working from memory!)

2. ditto

3. 17th century painting, artist unknown

4. sword

5. engraving by Walker

6. see 1. and 2.

7. Mel Gibson

8. William Wallace statue in Aberdeen, created in 1888

9. Lego man

Do you get the idea?

Yes you need to get a life.

I've never understood why people find Kylie and more recently Rhianna attractive. Perhaps I like a bit more meat on my bone but to me they are just ordinary looking.

Also, I don't get why Brad Pitt is such a heartthrob. I can see why women find the likes of Tom Cruise attractive but why PItt?

Also, I don't get why Brad Pitt is such a heartthrob. I can see why women find the likes of Tom Cruise attractive but why PItt?

You're kidding right? :O Tom Cruise WISHES!!

I've never understood why people find Kylie and more recently Rhianna attractive. Perhaps I like a bit more meat on my bone but to me they are just ordinary looking.

I got into trouble when this thread came up last time and I suggested Kylie, so I'm glad someone else can take that bullet. As for Rihanna, she doesn't do it for me either, something about her cheeks and chin makes her look like one of those fat Buddha ornaments.

I find your reasoning very fishy indeed.

Ask Tony Joe White the effect she had on him when they were recording together.

Ask Tony Joe White the effect she had on him when they were recording together.

Didn't someone once say of her (when she was in her late forties) that she had the body of a woman half her age? That image has always stuck in my mind.

True enough...but i bet he looked a bit like your Alex Salmond! :-) :-) :-)

My Alex Salmond??? :unsure:

TBH I just don't see 'Eck as the fierce, warrior type - Nicola, on the other hand...

Although Wallace almost certainly did exist, almost all we know about him is from a poem by Blind Harry or is legend/myth. We certainly haven't got an image of him, his era coming just before the invention of the telephoto lens. :rolleyes:

Yes you need to get a life.

You post that a long-dead historical figure is overrated, lookswise, produce search results containing fictional and imagined portraits of him, and I need to get a life? :lol:

You'd be better off trying to elaborate on your NCL conspiracy theories, or, even better, attempting to prove that PIRA were perfect gentlemen when they went about their slaughter.

<p>

Didn't someone once say of her (when she was in her late forties) that she had the body of a woman half her age? That image has always stuck in my mind.

A stage act like this would probably keep you in excellent shape.

Tom Cruise? not a chance, does nothing at all for me. He is even more annoying when he opens his mouth.

Brad Pitt appears to be a guy who would be fun, not up himself

The four birds from Sex in the City.

Celibacy would be a better option.

Angelina Jolie.

Totally agree - never seen the attraction

The four birds from Sex in the City.

Really? I mean I agree, but I don't think they are over-rated. I bet most blokes would say they don't find them that attractive.