Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bleep1673

Bye Bye Alex Hurst

13 posts in this topic

Best of luck to Alex, to make the move "darn sarf" shows his commitment to making it as a full time player. Hopefully he'll prove himself good enough.

Very sad to see him leave the Lions, injury got in the way last season but I was hoping he would be a major factor in 2013 following the departures of Higson and Armstrong. It certainly leaves the squad looking very light in the three quarters.

Still think his stand out performance was at Warrington where he was the only Lion to stand up and be counted in the Challenge Cup drubbing.

Its also very disappointing to see that a Super League club can roll up and take a young player developed by a Championship club at will, even one that is under contract, without so much as a penny changing hands. That just isn't right and evidences a lot of what's wrong with the game at the moment.

Im pretty certain Alex was a Moorside High School pupil who was hailed as a wonder kid signing for Warrington at an early age,unless my memory serves me wrong. Injury and bad decisions(playing fro Sedgley)have hampered his progress at Swinton, but we aren`t really responsible for his development,however it is still wrong that a contracted player will just leave for free.

I think Swinton have handled this rather well and it sends out a good message. If a young player signs for us wr wont stand in the way of his progression. well done the powers that be.

Im pretty certain Alex was a Moorside High School pupil who was hailed as a wonder kid signing for Warrington at an early age,unless my memory serves me wrong. Injury and bad decisions(playing fro Sedgley)have hampered his progress at Swinton, but we aren`t really responsible for his development,however it is still wrong that a contracted player will just leave for free.

Yes he started out elsewhere, but 3 years in the Swinton Lions first team squad at least gave the opportunity to play at a decent level. Without that opportunity he would most likely have been lost from the game for good.

Too many players are being written off at too young an age - a problem that will only increase under the new academy set up. Ideally all professional clubs should be playing a part in developing young players, as that would see the talent pool grow, but when you see a contracted player being taken for no money it robs the lower tier clubs of a big part of their incentive.

8370417179_2b9934dacc.jpg

DSC02001 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

Looking good in his new Superleague Kit, Good Luck Alex, thanks for taking time out after the match to talk to a Swinton fan.

Actually had a good game against the Skolars at the HAC Ground, played in the 2nd half, and had a good solid half.

Grasping his chance with both hands as he scored again for the Broncos tonight in Toulouse.

Riggy & Phil, Great news, keep it up Alex, make Swinton proud