Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Operation Yewtree

60 posts in this topic

I'm not disagreeing with you. I was trying to argue that not every situation is about power or control. I am using a quite left field example but nonetheless one that I have heard of being used. Telling someone to stop mid bonk may be extremely difficult for some people, or they may even just be plain insensitive and selfish. But IMO that does not mean it was about power or control.

I aren't arguing here, I just don't think it is a one size fits all thing. And I think a lot of it comes from the feminist 'all men are rapists' BS.

My own point was that it doesn't matter the reasons, when one person dominates another after that other has said no then it is rape.  The reason could be insensitivity or selfishness but the outcome is still the same: go ahead and you have raped that other person, because that other person said no. 

I do appreciate that some feminists seem to think that all men are rapists.  I would suggest they are bitter for whatever reason because women per se, feminist or otherwise, don't routinely believe that all men are rapists.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I was trying to argue that not every situation is about power or control. I am using a quite left field example but nonetheless one that I have heard of being used. Telling someone to stop mid bonk may be extremely difficult for some people, or they may even just be plain insensitive and selfish. But IMO that does not mean it was about power or control.

I aren't arguing here, I just don't think it is a one size fits all thing. And I think a lot of it comes from the feminist 'all men are rapists' BS.

I think you are being reasonable.  It is a power crime, but all everyones' actions have a variety of motives and we can only say what the major one is.

If one's libido is one's guide to the extent that you have no control over it then I think a greater help is needed. Moreover, am I alone in putting more emphasis on my partners sexual pleasure than my own? If that's not the case then surely it's nothing more than assisted onanism.

Rape is rarely a pre-meditated attack btw

+1

The problem is the type of cases seen recently where the victim was unable to give consent usually because of the amount they have had to drink.

The jury is today deliberating  for a third day in the Dave Lee Travis case. The judge has ordered them to come up with a unanimous verdict. I don't see how that is justice, whatever the verdict.

The jury is today deliberating  for a third day in the Dave Lee Travis case. The judge has ordered them to come up with a unanimous verdict. I don't see how that is justice, whatever the verdict.

I think it needs to be 10 -2 for a unanimous verdict.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_jury

The judge may ask for a unanimous verdict in a case of particular significance or where there's likely to be a very hefty punishment to remove any sign of doubt in the jury.  Usually what happens is that by the 5th or so day the judge will then allow a majority verdict (max 10-2) but then this allows an easier avenue for the defendant to appeal on facts.  Typically, the Court of Appeal will only consider appeals based on the facts of a case in the most important of cases or where there's substantial proof of faulty evidence.  Even then, they'll usually only award a retrial if there's clear grounds for reasonable doubt, Court of Appeal acquittals on facts are unheard of when it comes down to opposing a jury's decision rather than opposing faulty evidence.

Just for the sake of pedantry, the Court of Appeal can consider appeals on facts, law and sentence.  The latter two are always open but sentencing appeals can be rejected unheard if the sentence is within the normal sentencing guidelines.  For those who don't get the difference between facts and law, I can punch you, that'd be a fact, but it may not be unlawful.

DLT not guilty.

In full: DLT not guilty of sex crimes, still guilty of being a lousy DJ.

The problem is the type of cases seen recently where the victim was unable to give consent usually because of the amount they have had to drink.

In which case its still rape, no consent spoken or otherwise has been given