Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

HISTORIC SHIRT TO HIT SHELVES ON SATURDAY!

17 posts in this topic

The 2013 Dewsbury Rams home shirt will go on sale to supporters for the first time this Saturday.

To celebrate, the club will be hosting an open day at the Tetley’s Stadium shop between 11.00am and 2.00pm.

Head coach Glenn Morrison and club mascot Roger Ram will be in attendance between Midday and 1.00pm to greet fans, sign shirts and pose for photographs.

http://us5.campaign-...72&e=b139ae851a

Is that Stevo with his Brains behind the trophy?

Is that Stevo with his Brains behind the trophy?

Oh aye. Richard Agar's dad is on there as well.

Oh aye. Richard Agar's dad is on there as well.

good side that. is tommy smales on there too, 3rd from right back row

Nigel Stephenson next to Stevo. Jeff Grayshon in the back row next to, I think, Harry Beverley.

Crown Flatt was a great ground to go and watch a game.

crown flatt, i remember going there to watch a cup tie between dewsbury celtic and fev

Nigel Stephenson next to Stevo. Jeff Grayshon in the back row next to, I think, Harry Beverley.

Crown Flatt was a great ground to go and watch a game.

Why did all the old grounds look better and more atmospheric than the new ones?IMO

Why did all the old grounds look better and more atmospheric than the new ones?IMO

The one time I went to Crown Flatt it was after the main stand had burnt down, and there wasn't a stick of cover in the place, and a nasty cold wind blowing. My mate had forgot his gloves, stuck his hands in his pockets and said he was only clapping for tries. Pity we ran in about ten.

The one time I went to Crown Flatt it was after the main stand had burnt down, and there wasn't a stick of cover in thie place, and a nasty cold wind blowing. My mate had forgot his gloves, stuck his hands in his pockets and said he was only clapping for tries. Pity we ran in about ten.

Happy days at the old place.

That league Championship league win ( and dosn't that league championship trophy put the SL trash can to shame) has to be the greatest upset in the history of British Rugby League. Challenge cup wins are great but this was a much more sustained win. I think they were 8th in the final table, which, by itself was a great achievment, and then they won the playoffs and beat Leeds no less in the final at Odsal I was there and it was a great day. Contrast that with Leeds recent win from 5th, this was comparable with Wakefield winning this last season from 8th.

Such victories are great sustenance to us dreamers and supporters of no hope CC clubs.

That league Championship league win ( and dosn't that league championship trophy put the SL trash can to shame) has to be the greatest upset in the history of British Rugby League. Challenge cup wins are great but this was a much more sustained win. I think they were 8th in the final table, which, by itself was a great achievment, and then they won the playoffs and beat Leeds no less in the final at Odsal I was there and it was a great day. Contrast that with Leeds recent win from 5th, this was comparable with Wakefield winning this last season from 8th.

Such victories are great sustenance to us dreamers and supporters of no hope CC clubs.

yet imagine the furore of a team winning the championship frim 8th nowadays.

Yes I remember it too Stevo was great

Yes I remember it too Stevo was great

As I remember both Stephenson's were on top form that day. Great memories.

yet imagine the furore of a team winning the championship frim 8th nowadays.

It was controversial then, and of course led directly to the finish-top=champions system which was introduced the following year.

It was controversial then, and of course led directly to the finish-top=champions system which was introduced the following year.

I think it's fair to say the top-8 system never had the cachet, or the crowd drawing power, of the old top-4 system. It took a long time for the Premiership/GrandFinal to recover the lost ground and give us two showpiece games a year again.

On a related note, does anybody have a definitive answer as to why the two division format used from 1962 to 1964 was abandoned so quickly, or indeed why it was introduced in the first place?

I think it's fair to say the top-8 system never had the cachet, or the crowd drawing power, of the old top-4 system. It took a long time for the Premiership/GrandFinal to recover the lost ground and give us two showpiece games a year again.

On a related note, does anybody have a definitive answer as to why the two division format used from 1962 to 1964 was abandoned so quickly, or indeed why it was introduced in the first place?

I remember those two seasons very well. Keighley came second to Hunslet that year and won promotion. The only home loss was to Rochdale for whom Joe Levula scored the winning try. This was the first inkling of the potential of the Pacific islanders as RL stars.

Swinton were the 1st Division winners in both seasons. One of the years they had the worst winter for as century or something similar and hundreds of fixtures were postponed giving a huge backlog.

From memory, I think the Division 2 clubs lost the big attendances they used to get under the old system with visits from all the big boys in their county every season and the winner takes all nature of the 1st division meant the loss of the very lucrative top championship final and semi finals playoffs.

I don't remember exactly why they discontinued it but those facts were part of it.