Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

104 posts in this topic

nonsense about the aussie accent.

He wasnt his teams best player, he wasnt in the dream team, he wasnt in the World xiii. My personal view is that if he was the worlds best this year, then he would have achieved all three of those things.

nonsense about the aussie accent.

He wasnt his teams best player, he wasnt in the dream team, he wasnt in the World xiii. My personal view is that if he was the worlds best this year, then he would have achieved all three of those things.

In fact he like all the so called Leeds star's he is absolutely rubbishall he can do is kick.Dont worry though Leeds player's neer et with a sniff of these kind of awards .MOS springs to mind

Billy Slater full back in the World XIII but Tomkins and Barba up for Golden Boot!

Always good talking points around this stuff to keep us occupied in the closed season.

Billy Slater full back in the World XIII but Tomkins and Barba up for Golden Boot!

Always good talking points around this stuff to keep us occupied in the closed season.

When the judges deliberate, I hope they watch footage of Tomkins laughable attempts to field a high ball under pressure and nmake their decisions accordingly.

When the judges deliberate, I hope they watch footage of Tomkins laughable attempts to field a high ball under pressure and nmake their decisions accordingly.

Which match was that again in 2012?

In fact he like all the so called Leeds star's he is absolutely rubbishall he can do is kick.Dont worry though Leeds player's neer et with a sniff of these kind of awards .MOS springs to mind

Why are you making your own argument up, comment on what I said if you are going to quote me, because I suggested nothing of the sort.

Sinfield is a good captain and a great kicker he is not the best stand off in the country or the best loose forward you cannot argue with his achievements and he deserves to be on the short list for that alone I do not think he will win it

I believe the Cup semi final was a star turn.

Not his best game granted, but of the 7 tries Leeds scored that day only one was down to Tomkins' failure to take a high ball, and that was from a superb Sinfield kick which Hall scored from in the 4th minute. Hardly laughable.

By your standards then we should rule out Hall (destroyed by a Charnley hat trick in the league match at Wigan) and Sinfield (not for the first time poor kicking in the Challenge Cup final).

Not his best game granted, but of the 7 tries Leeds scored that day only one was down to Tomkins' failure to take a high ball, and that was from a superb Sinfield kick which Hall scored from in the 4th minute. Hardly laughable.

By your standards then we should rule out Hall (destroyed by a Charnley hat trick in the league match at Wigan) and Sinfield (not for the first time poor kicking in the Challenge Cup final).

Hall wasn't nominated.

I also hope they watch Slater in the grand final and in SOO. One of Slaters was worse than Tomkins, people seem to go a out slating Tomkins and fail to realise Slater has had some shockers.

Most fullbacks have plenty of mistakes in them. It's a high pressure position, it happens - we have seen all of the best make mistakes at 1.

slaters cock ups are nearly as common as his "freakish" stuff these days

That is most definitely not true spud.

The only thing id say about Ryan Hall being the Rhinos player of the year is that he beat Sinfield by 1 vote, and this was all before the playoffs started.

Im sure if the voting took place after Sinfield had captained Leeds to a sixth Grand Final win, winning three consecutive man of the match's, including the Harry Sunderland award, and not missing one kick at goal during the playoffs, that the voting may have taken a different path. All this, including the World Club Challenge win, came with Sinfield playing the whole season with a fractured/broken wrist sustained in pre-season.

What I would say is that Sinfield is not the best player in his position, he admits that himself, but as discussed quite probably millions of times before, he brings more to the team than that. The leadership he brings to the team and the focus and calmness under pressure make him a great captain and a Leeds legend.

For me, its between Sinfield and Cameron Smith for the boot. Smith has captained Queensland, Melbourne and Australia this year, winning everything he could other than the minor premiership.The others had great saesons but these two stand out for me.

It seems to be a cumulative recognition for Sinfield, who has been very good (as opposed to excellent, imo) for a number of years. I don't think he's done any more this year than the last seven or eight.

I tend to agree with this - similar to Ryan Giggs winning loads of individual awards in football about 2 or 3 years ago despite not doing anything better than he usually did. I think it's also a recognition of "jeez, this guy should have had about 5 of these nominations over the years"

Wouldn't have Sinfield in the Golden Boot nominations myself, but it isn't as if it's a completely awful shout either. It's good to have more British talent on there.

i can't believe ryan hall wasn't shortlisted, that said i hope sinfield wins it for his achievements over the years as captain of the whino's

For me, its between Sinfield and Cameron Smith for the boot. Smith has captained Queensland, Melbourne and Australia this year, winning everything he could other than the minor premiership.The others had great saesons but these two stand out for me.

In both cases, their leadership is as much of a factor as their individual skills.

"The Rugby League World Golden Boot, which is awarded every year to the best Rugby League player in the world" ?????

Once this award was given to the best players based on Test matches that year where players from each hemisphere played each other in a series, the best from each country and pretty well the man of the series got the Golden Boot.

What is the criteria now? and what are the names of the judges deciding the candidates and the winner?

Anyway...

Give it to Sir Kev, he is apparently a good bloke, speaks well and can kick goals.

"The Rugby League World Golden Boot, which is awarded every year to the best Rugby League player in the world" ?????

Anyway...

Give it to Sir Kev, he is apparently a good bloke, speaks well and can kick goals.

Sport is fickle, last week he was given his own appreciation day, this week people want to give him the Boot!

I think he would be a worthy winner because of his leadership qualities and his professionalism. He is a fantastic role model and ambassador for the game and made the difference in helping Leeds win the Grand Final. He is also unbeaten in international competition this year, which does include a victory against an Australian team.

never really been a fan of sinfield as a player but as a captain he is unrivalled, his leadership qualities are excellent and he really gets the best out of his team........

never really been a fan of sinfield as a player but as a captain he is unrivalled, his leadership qualities are excellent and he really gets the best out of his team........

Is he the best player in the World?

Unrivalled in the SL?

Is he a better Captain than

Jamie Lyon?

Cam Smith?

Luke Lewis?

Jonathon Thurston?

Nathan Hindmarsh?

Robbie Farrah?

Sam Thaiday?

Terry Campese?

Mick Ennis?

Paul Gallen?

Maybe he is.

I would take many of the above over him for their ability on the field as a Captain and player and the way they can lead by example and win a game from their own skill and will to win against the best in the game.

Sinfield may not be the best player in the world but his leadership qualities and ability to inspire and lead a team are second to none.Given that the Aussies refused to play England this year,who knows what might have happened and your earlier argument that the player of the tournament usually wins the Golden Boot,it may well have gone to Sinfield anyway.

Sinfield may not be the best player in the world but his leadership qualities and ability to inspire and lead a team are second to none.Given that the Aussies refused to play England this year,who knows what might have happened and your earlier argument that the player of the tournament usually wins the Golden Boot,it may well have gone to Sinfield anyway.

It is second to Cam Smith for one and he is a far better player with a far better skill set, never mind Thurston who did not even get a mention.

He has played one half decent game against Australia in his whole career in several positions. I think it was as Hooker.

He is nearly past his use by date so I doubt he will have much to offer going forward.

The award is supposed to be for "the best player in the World".

He is not the best player or the best Captain or the best anything in the World so why is he a candidate?

I will tell you why because the people that decide these awards have to include players other than Aussies and Sinfield gets nominated on that basis, it sells magazines in the UK.

The fact that the Kiwis got nothing as the second placed team in the World tells it all.

Its a media vehicle just like the WCC to sell the game in the UK and boost flagging egos in the old dart.