Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

The SKY contract for RL - good or bad?

300 posts in this topic

Please engage with the point.

As longs as SKY provide £17,000,000 a year to clubs we can run a professional league.

It needs to be a league that is run collectively, for the good of all Leeds, Wigan Wire and Saints and runs to some sensible principles.

I see there's now a proposal for a 10 team Super League on here with no P &R. An enormous gulf would then be allowed to develop between this "elite" and the rest. Surely this is the final nail in the coffin of the game's pretentions to be a "National Sport" and it can be relegated to the second (third?) tier along with basketball, ice hockey and speedway. Another 15 years of Super League "success" and we'll be on a par with knur & spell, crown green bowls and beach volleyball!

The claims to being a national sport are nothing to do with the top flight. It is.

Or is it ok for CC fans to trash smaller clubs than them because they are not 'traditional'?

I see there's now a proposal for a 10 team Super League on here with no P &R. An enormous gulf would then be allowed to develop between this "elite" and the rest. Surely this is the final nail in the coffin of the game's pretentions to be a "National Sport" and it can be relegated to the second (third?) tier along with basketball, ice hockey and speedway. Another 15 years of Super League "success" and we'll be on a par with knur & spell, crown green bowls and beach volleyball!

Well played for being flushed out as someone who reckons Superleague is evil and no good for the sport but daredn't debate this. Up to now........

The 10 club SL is from a poster. Equally you can propose a 5 club SL playing each other six times a season and the use that as justification that superleague is not a success at all.

The reality is SL can return to being a 12 club competition to balance the books. It was 12 clubs for many years and on several occasions there was no P & R.

You stand as a prime example of those who contrive an extreme argument from a personal bias.

Well played for being flushed out as someone who reckons Superleague is evil and no good for the sport but daredn't debate this. Up to now........

The 10 club SL is from a poster. Equally you can propose a 5 club SL playing each other six times a season and the use that as justification that superleague is not a success at all.

The reality is SL can return to being a 12 club competition to balance the books. It was 12 clubs for many years and on several occasions there was no P & R.

You stand as a prime example of those who contrive an extreme argument from a personal bias.

Of which group you are the aplha male.

You wrote, "we know Sky money cannot sustain a fully pro competition,"

The Parksider replied, " Jeez it's sustained one for 17 years no sign of it packing up.."

You responded, "Bradford, Salford, Crusaders, Wakefield, Paris, Castleford, Gateshead, maybe Hull KR. Jeez how many more cases do you need?

I corrected you," Bradford, Salford, Crusaders, Wakefield, Paris, Castleford, Gateshead, maybe Hull KR "

Finally, you wrote, t's clubs need to take the actions to prove they can sustain full time professionalism before I will be convinced.

Neither you nor I need to be convinced. Its the paying fans, either in the crowd or on TV that need convincing. You know what? I think they are convinced. Attendances up, viewers up, game up!

Whilst attendances, viewership are all up as you rightly say, the fact remains that many of the teams in SL cannot sustain full time professionalism hence at the financial crises and outright failures.

Stringent financial restructuring at these troubled clubs or many more cashed up investors or a susbstantial increase in the Sky money will have to ensue to enable full time professionalism to be sustained. To say otherwise is to fly in the face of the reality of the financial state of these troubled clubs.

I have no doubt that Rugby League is the greatest sport on earth, but Super League is a different game to Rugby League, with its own laws, even unwritten ones like you can pass the ball forward as long as its not too obvious.There are 250,000 Rugby League players, officials and supporters in the Country, just my opinion. The game can't afford to be full time. Sky are only interested in Super Greed and even those clubs can't manage themselves on the Sky money. The rest of Rugby League has suffered since the inception of Super League. I gave up watching my team after about the first 4 years of Super greed and now I love watching Rugby League. I would like to see Sky pull the plug and lets see who is managing their business well. Sits back and waits for all the dinosaur taunts but its water off a ducks back. I will always be able to watch Eccles ARLFC!

You have no place in an elite doing that sort of thing.

It's unfair to the paying customers of Fax and their opponents

How does a club "re-group" what does this mean?

Widnes, this season, only got 5 more wins than Halifax did and they were financed by a big investor, so the performamnce wasn't that bad in retrospect.

Halifax, having rid themselves of their debts or made a big dent in them due to their cost cutting measures, would have been in a position to take the next years Sky money and recruit a better team and thereby get better results. If they had done that, other forms of finance , investors, sponsors, increased gates etc might have further stabilised their position.

That was what I meant by regroup.

Anywhay, it didn't happen. They were relegated and deservedly so. That's the scenario facing SL though if they finally cut off the other tiers and go to an isolated fortress mode. Their worst teams, no matter what, will stay in the competiton. They would not be in any position to reduce the numbers. Sky wouldn't go for it.Not a healthy situation.

I have no doubt that Rugby League is the greatest sport on earth, but Super League is a different game to Rugby League, with its own laws, even unwritten ones like you can pass the ball forward as long as its not too obvious.There are 250,000 Rugby League players, officials and supporters in the Country, just my opinion. The game can't afford to be full time. Sky are only interested in Super Greed and even those clubs can't manage themselves on the Sky money. The rest of Rugby League has suffered since the inception of Super League. I gave up watching my team after about the first 4 years of Super greed and now I love watching Rugby League. I would like to see Sky pull the plug and lets see who is managing their business well. Sits back and waits for all the dinosaur taunts but its water off a ducks back. I will always be able to watch Eccles ARLFC!

So as long as you can watch Eccles everyone else can go hang? Not so much a dinosaur as simply ludicrous.

I would like to see Sky pull the plug and lets see who is managing their business well. Sits back and waits for all the dinosaur taunts but its water off a ducks back. I will always be able to watch Eccles ARLFC!

No dinosaur taunts from me Sir.

Good honest post. No axe to grind.

Enjoyed it, hope you'll pop in again.....

1. Widnes, this season, only got 5 more wins than Halifax did and they were financed by a big investor, so the performance wasn't that bad in retrospect.

2. Halifax, having rid themselves of their debts or made a big dent in them due to their cost cutting measures, would have been in a position to take the next years Sky money and recruit a better team and thereby get better results. If they had done that, other forms of finance , investors, sponsors, increased gates etc might have further stabilised their position.

3. Anyway, it didn't happen.

1. Jeez.... You have contrived to argue that no points in a season in SL "wasn't that bad".

2. OK so now you are suggesting that somehow the only way was up for Halifax once that season was over?

Seriously are you making this up??

Have you not read up on the facts??

Or don't the facts suit???

3. Too right it didn't happen in reality. In your dreams it may have.

He's entitled to his opinion and post on here. If he's happy supporting Eccles and only Eccles so be it. If SL has turned him off then that his choice.

This type of post isn't the only one I've seen by a long way in the same manner.

He's entitled to his opinion and post on here. If he's happy supporting Eccles and only Eccles so be it. If SL has turned him off then that his choice.

This type of post isn't the only one I've seen by a long way in the same manner.

He's entitled to support who the hell he wants. There's absolutely nothing wrong with following any club you so desire. I also reserve the right to follow who I want and also laugh at the ludicrous mentality that thinks he can do what he wants and it is somehow 'real' whilst others who may follow 'super greed' clubs (hilarious) are somehow not. To me, that attitude can XXXX right off. Puritanical snobbery BS.

He's entitled to support who the hell he wants. There's absolutely nothing wrong with following any club you so desire. I also reserve the right to follow who I want and also laugh at the ludicrous mentality that thinks he can do what he wants and it is somehow 'real' whilst others who may follow 'super greed' clubs (hilarious) are somehow not. To me, that attitude can XXXX right off. Puritanical snobbery BS.

Its a free world and forum J

Not bothered if he supports Eccles and Eccles only. He's still supporting a great amateur RL club, that his choice. If he falls out with SL, so be it.

Not bothered if he supports Eccles and Eccles only. He's still supporting a great amateur RL club, that his choice. If he falls out with SL, so be it.

I think you missed the point

As I said, who he supports is his business and good luck, but how does that make him as superior as he seems to think he is? What the hell is this about? Passing exams to show you are a genuine supporter? hoping the game goes bust so that only 'proper' fans will remain? To come out with such self righteous garbage about 'I hope sky pull out, then we'll see who's left so I can follow my local club alone' is absolute cobblers.

If he is a genuine RL fan and i am a plastic 'super greed' fan, then to be honest, I want nothing to do with it - and I absolutely mean that 100%. They, and their small minded game can rot.

1. Jeez.... You have contrived to argue that no points in a season in SL "wasn't that bad".

2. OK so now you are suggesting that somehow the only way was up for Halifax once that season was over?

What part of No Relegation don t you understand.? If that scenario had taken place this season Halifax would still be in SL and it would have happened irregardless of my dreams. They would have either improved or stayed the same. Either way they would have remained in SL.

Halifax won one game that season and had the points deducted. Widnes won 6 this last season. Given those circumstances, which season was worse ,Widnes or Halifax. Both were pretty dire.As usual you cut out the part of my post which didn t suit your argument. Those are facts. Halifax were in severe financial trouble. Widnes were funded by a mega rich investor. Those are also facts. Anyhow that was a throwaway observation.

The main point was UNDER A NO RELEGATION POLICY AS EXISTS NOW HALIFAX WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RELEGATED.

Actually I watched Salford home and away, along with my wife and 3 children for many years but about 4 years into Super Greed I could not stick any more. The first match I watched after deciding to give up Super Greed was Batley .v. Dewsbury and I spent many years just picking games to go to each week. Tended to put my money where it was needed like Chorley, Blackpool etc. However I went to Celtic Crusaders first ever league match and somehow got attached to them, only missing games when they clashed with Eccles ARLFC, even though I had a 430 mile round trip to home games. I admit to still following CC in their first season in Super Greed, but only cos I made so many friends, but then spent a season watching South Wales Scorpions. When North Wales Crusaders started last season I decided to follow them and only missed 1 game all season. Just bought a season ticket for this season. I have always followed amateur Rugby League on Saturdays and there are not many grounds in any league that I have not been to but I got involved with my home town club Eccles about 1999 and have not missed more than about 10 games since then. Not just Eccles, I love Rugby League but hate Super Greed!

What part of No Relegation don t you understand.? If that scenario had taken place this season Halifax would still be in SL and it would have happened irregardless of my dreams.

RFL/SLE have always reserved the right to withdraw a license Castleford and Wakefield were under threat by letter over their grounds, Bradford were under threat of losing theirs Salford are under threat of losing theirs now.

You can't just promise a business plan to the licensing people and then decide to run on a shoestring and fail to compete, you risk your license being taken away.

You in particular can't assume a club on a downward spiral can just "re-group" these words are meaningless.

So what part of face the facts don't you understand?

You sre of course entitled to freedom of expression and action. Equally on a public forum you will expect to be judged and challenged. so in my opinion your use of the term Super Greed is misplaced and indeed demonstrates to.me that your claim to love Rugby League is invalid. To dismiss the honest and not very well rewarded efforts of something like 350 players in this tough game I find to be quite insulting to them.So no more use of " Super Greed" please.The least you should call it is the "elite competition".

Actually I watched Salford home and away, along with my wife and 3 children for many years but about 4 years into Super Greed I could not stick any more. The first match I watched after deciding to give up Super Greed was Batley .v. Dewsbury and I spent many years just picking games to go to each week. Tended to put my money where it was needed like Chorley, Blackpool etc. However I went to Celtic Crusaders first ever league match and somehow got attached to them, only missing games when they clashed with Eccles ARLFC, even though I had a 430 mile round trip to home games. I admit to still following CC in their first season in Super Greed, but only cos I made so many friends, but then spent a season watching South Wales Scorpions. When North Wales Crusaders started last season I decided to follow them and only missed 1 game all season. Just bought a season ticket for this season. I have always followed amateur Rugby League on Saturdays and there are not many grounds in any league that I have not been to but I got involved with my home town club Eccles about 1999 and have not missed more than about 10 games since then. Not just Eccles, I love Rugby League but hate Super Greed!

Enjoyed the post - not sure about Super Greed, the SL clubs have to take all the SKY contract money they can't share it beyond SL, but they have displayed a selfish attitude at times. I too have had a lifetime of going all over to support the game, fondest memories were bus trips around west yorkshire to all the grounds. I've ended up watching Leeds regularly as their my lads club. The zealots on here use that against me when they run out of arguments. They are the people who say if their club folded they would stop watching the game :rolleyes: . Happy spectating.

Equally on a public forum you will expect to be judged and challenged.

I keep getting told people are entitled to their opinion??

You know Superleague is a ghetto, it's killing CC clubs, it's killing Great Britain, the rise in crowds it brings are false figures, the money it has attracted has all been wasted.

Over 200 posts on I think whether you like SL or not (personal choice) the general opinion is overwhelmingly that it has saved the game as a major sport.

If the contract had been refused we'd still have a game that I believe many of us on here would still follow, and enjoy, but "many of us on here" would be what? A hundred?

Thats a pretty narrow point IMO.

I don't see the majority of posts saying that it saved the game - more that the money had to be taken, like it or not.

I just don't see everyone walking away from the sport because of a theoretical scenario where we don't take Sky's dollar (as its not enough to sustain a full time sport, not just on principle) and we end up going elsewhere. That may only fund a part-time with a few full timers top division.

I'd contend that the majority of the sport from the Championship downwards will remain the same more or less. Its ingrained in a whole lot of communities and to assume they'd pack it in is to do them a huge mis-service.

My father has supported his team for about 64 years, he won't be walking away from the sport regardless of how much money is spent within the echelons of the top strata - £10 billion or 10 pence makes no difference to him.

I'd like to back up my opinion. My contention is that without an elite pro competition, there would not be the virtuous spiral of increasing fans, increasing viewers, Sky subscribers, advertisers paying for slots when SL is broadcast all enabling Sky to buy the rights to broadcast SL, which funds the clubs to develop themselves, which as we have seen increases fans, and so on and so on. The free to air model public broadcasting proposed by some would just not be able to generate this amount of value.

The presence of the elite competition acts as an incentive to players and potential players of ambition and generates an interest al all levels of the game.

Thus in my view, if Sky had not come along, the game at the top level would have continued it downward spiral, the incentive or pull on the smaller clubs would have ceased, players and potential players of ambition would then have looked to union as their way forward as has notably happened with Andy Farrell, Chris Ashton, etc etc). So, 17 years on, our game would have been much smaller than it is now, there would be much less money in it, fewer clubs, and the vicious spiral of decline would be continuing.

I don't see the majority of posts saying that it saved the game

Maybe time for a poll?

The game would still exist, that's probably beyond doubt. The big question is, in what state? Given modern competition from other sports and the way things are in this day and age I think it would disappear from the mass conscience *completely*. Far worse than it is now, by miles.

Clubs and teams are popping up all over the country and even the world. This simply wouldn't be happening without the sky money and effect it has had.