Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terrywebbisgod

Wakefield and Doncaster join forces.

54 posts in this topic

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_10684-wakefield-and-doncaster-join-forces.html

Here we go again,death of Rugby League,blah,blah,blah. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All very impressive but what it boils down to is Wakefield have saved money by abolishing their u 20 team and 13 former professional players from the u 20s and 4 who have been replaced on the Doncaster roster by the loanees have lost their jobs.

All the momentum that Doncaster have gained since their present board has taken over has been killed and now they will be content to be Wakefield's A team , drifting along in the Championship with no further ambitions in mind. All for the loan of 4 players. Oh well, c'est la vie.

All the momentum that Doncaster have gained since their present board has taken over has been killed and now they will be content to be Wakefield's A team ... All for the loan of 4 players. Oh well, c'est la vie.

So how does that work then?

Nice to see another club signing their death warrant. how many feeder clubs is that now?

None.

None.

I'm not getting into this with you again gav mate you know how I feel about these link ups and I know how you feel too. Everyone to their own.

I reported this link up months ago.

IMO all these link up's have come at the wrong time for Doncaster, either they had to go along with it or die simply because they are not as far advanced down a stand alone route as Sheffield & Featherstone.

Shame really because I believe they have for probably the first time a leader who was willing to work on a long term plan so the club could move forward..

So how does that work then?

You know exactly how it works. It has been discussed on the Leeds/ Hunslet link comments and the Oldham/ Salford and the Rochdale/Saints threads.

Let me ask you a question. as a result of this, what do you think the future holds for Doncaster ? Do you think Wakefield will ever allow them to become successful enough so that they might challenge for the Wildcats franchise place.

Do you think any possible investor will see any potential in putting money into a club whose playing staff is at the discretion of a SL club, even though they have a good board and a top class stadium and do you think Wakefield would ever vote yes to their SL ambitions when they have been used to using them as an A team.? They have made their bed now they must lie in it but don't expect me to be singing hosannas about the deal.

I reported this link up months ago.

IMO all these link up's have come at the wrong time for Doncaster, either they had to go along with it or die simply because they are not as far advanced down a stand alone route as Sheffield & Featherstone.

Shame really because I believe they have for probably the first time a leader who was willing to work on a long term plan so the club could move forward..

What exactly is stopping them from working to that long term plan?

You know exactly how it works. It has been discussed on the Leeds/ Hunslet link comments and the Oldham/ Salford and the Rochdale/Saints threads.

Let me ask you a question. as a result of this, what do you think the future holds for Doncaster ? Do you think Wakefield will ever allow them to become successful enough so that they might challenge for the Wildcats franchise place.

Do you think any possible investor will see any potential in putting money into a club whose playing staff is at the discretion of a SL club, even though they have a good board and a top class stadium and do you think Wakefield would ever vote yes to their SL ambitions when they have been used to using them as an A team.? They have made their bed now they must lie in it but don't expect me to be singing hosannas about the deal.

Wakefield won't 'allow' Doncaster to do anything. They don't have that authority.

Any potential investor would look at Doncaster before a lot of other clubs I would imagine. Although obviously I'm not an investor so thats pure speculation, just as much as your comment about potential investors is.

the link up clubs are NOT feeder clubs, they are a joint venture between a super league club and a championship club. i am sure workington fans, board, players etc etc would be insulted at the suggestions by the featherstone contingent on the forms that they are just a feeder club for widnes...........

They may get insulted, but that's still irrelevant to wether its the truth or not

Wakefield won't 'allow' Doncaster to do anything. They don't have that authority.

Any potential investor would look at Doncaster before a lot of other clubs I would imagine. Although obviously I'm not an investor so thats pure speculation, just as much as your comment about potential investors is.

Wakefield to Donny "Do that and we will take our players back" Donny to Wakefield "Please don't or we could end up in the league of death"

We have a winner.

and in only two posts. That is a record...unless you know otherwise. :)

Wakefield to Donny "Do that and we will take our players back" Put them on put salary cap and er... hang on a minute

Thats fine but in the scenario you appear to be describing Doncaster can put Wakefield over the cap simply by not selecting dr players in their team.

the link up clubs are NOT feeder clubs, they are a joint venture between a super league club and a championship club. i am sure workington fans, board, players etc etc would be insulted at the suggestions by the featherstone contingent on the forms that they are just a feeder club for widnes...........

Feeder clubs

1. Let me ask you a question. as a result of this, what do you think the future holds for Doncaster ?

2. Do you think Wakefield will ever allow them to become successful enough so that they might challenge for the Wildcats franchise place.

1. Survival

2. I hope Wakefield do not sink that low.

Doesnt look as good as the deal between Batley and Huddersfield.... but at least its a 2 way deal.

All the momentum that Doncaster have gained since their present board has taken over has been killed and now they will be content to be Wakefield's A team , drifting along in the Championship with no further ambitions in mind. All for the loan of 4 players. Oh well, c'est la vie.

What momentum?

Come away from the very admirable dream I like to share with you in more private moments, that the Dons will one day march into Superleague. They marched into the first division in 1994 and when the great Audley Pennant planted the ball over the Leeds try line before 6,440 fans one should not have been forgiven thinking that this could be the start of something big.

But not Lyndsay, he knew all about the lack of resources and infrastructure in Donacaster and Sheffield that remains today despite the idea that they are “rebuilding” or “regrouping” in the Championships today to “get ready” for Superleague. These soccer towns are nuts neither club will crack in our lifetimes even if we were kids again.

I do hope that me setting out the 6,440 crowd Dons pulled won’t be a handle you use to continue to champion them for Superleague with. If so try these handles – Barcelona 18,000, Paris 10,000, Crusaders 10,000. Bit more potential there than in Doncaster don’t you think?

Now lets look at a grand old club Hunslet. We were champions of the “league of death” not long ago and Lobbygobbler led the way cheering us on for Superleague – “room for two SL clubs in Leeds” was the cry. More dreaming on a public forum – it shouldn’t be allowed, it’s unhealthy for reasonable debate.

We had no money. I knew that first hand, but Lobby was of course “entitled to his opinion” (for some on here an entitlement that should be protected from challenge). We scraped up what we could not afford and went on to lose a respectable 15 out of 20 games and pull in the lowest CC crowds as a result. Momemtum?? – don’t make me laugh.

The game needs this partnership so Donny can survive respectfully and Wakefield can go on to recapture former glories and take on the Leeds, Wigans and Hulls.

What momentum?

Come away from the very admirable dream I like to share with you in more private moments, that the Dons will one day march into Superleague. They marched into the first division in 1994 and when the great Audley Pennant planted the ball over the Leeds try line before 6,440 fans one should not have been forgiven thinking that this could be the start of something big.

But not Lyndsay, he knew all about the lack of resources and infrastructure in Donacaster and Sheffield that remains today despite the idea that they are “rebuilding” or “regrouping” in the Championships today to “get ready” for Superleague. These soccer towns are nuts neither club will crack in our lifetimes even if we were kids again.

I do hope that me setting out the 6,440 crowd Dons pulled won’t be a handle you use to continue to champion them for Superleague with. If so try these handles – Barcelona 18,000, Paris 10,000, Crusaders 10,000. Bit more potential there than in Doncaster don’t you think?

Now lets look at a grand old club Hunslet. We were champions of the “league of death” not long ago and Lobbygobbler led the way cheering us on for Superleague – “room for two SL clubs in Leeds” was the cry. More dreaming on a public forum – it shouldn’t be allowed, it’s unhealthy for reasonable debate.

We had no money. I knew that first hand, but Lobby was of course “entitled to his opinion” (for some on here an entitlement that should be protected from challenge). We scraped up what we could not afford and went on to lose a respectable 15 out of 20 games and pull in the lowest CC crowds as a result. Momemtum?? – don’t make me laugh.

The game needs this partnership so Donny can survive respectfully and Wakefield can go on to recapture former glories and take on the Leeds, Wigans and Hulls.

So what do Doncaster get out of this that allows them to survive respectfully, whilst tipping their forelock to their SL masters.? Is it four extra players ? whoop de doo. Is it the luxury of using the facilities at Belle Vue instead of the sub standard ones at the Keepmote ? double whoop de doo. Is it the 3,000 Wakefield spectators who will flock down the road every week to watch their A team, yeah, right.

Do they get any money from Wakefield.? No. Does the Wakefield expertise in Marketing go so far as to push Doncaster from their department ? I bet it dosn't.

When Doncaster are looking to build on the good start they have made with stabilising their finances, winning the double in CC1 and moving up to the CC ( the momentum you were questioning ), by courting and looking for investors to push them onwards and uopwards a la Fev, is the fact that they are a feeder club/A team for Wakefield not a big negative. All for the reward of 4 under 20's players. Is that really a good deal?

What does it do for Wakefield.? Well it saves them a whole load of money by not having to fund a whole u 20s team. Is this a good deal for Doncaster?. You postulate that it enables them to survive, just how exactly.?

I see the great and wonderful OZ, aka Maurice Lyndsay has reared his head again in your thinking. This wise and wonderful leader was presiding over a terminally ill game with no clue as to how to stop the rot when Murdoch rode in from the South with his millions to bail him out, only because he was feuding with Kerry Packer. Maurice Lyndsay, don't make me laugh?

Hunslet. They had no money, no ground, no ambition, no fans and no hope and still don't. If you want to quote CC clubs, quote Fev, Halifax, Leigh, Barrow, Dewsbury and Crusaders and yes, Doncaster. Hunslet need some leadership, ambition and drive as is being shown at those clubs and things might improve. Even lowly Keighley got promoted from the group of death and upgraded their team enough to make the playoffs and scare the life out of Halifax at the Shay. Quoting a terminal loser like Hunslet does not make your argument.

RL can't suceed in soccer towns, you say. What like Wigan,Huddersfield, Hull, Leeds, Bradford and London. RL has managed to survive and become the major presence viz a viz soccer in Halifax, Barrow and Workington, all of whom used to be in the football league. That Sheffield, Doncaster, Oldham, Salford have a challenge of their hands from soccer is undeniable. It is not unsurmoutable. I notice that a huge soccer club in Toulouse has not stopped you from championing the SL application from the Toulouse RL club.

Looks like its years of struggle for Doncaster now, their years of trophies and glory will be just a distant memory. From now on it will be struggle after struggle, another bloody Sunday even.

:rolleyes:

s the fact that they are a feeder club/A team for Wakefield ... All for the reward of 4 under 20's players. Is that really a good deal?

Again, how can a club be classed as a feeder/A-Team with only 4-5 players in a 25-30 man squad at any given time?