Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

The best/your favourite acoustic songs

31 posts in this topic

I can tell age is kicking in when The music I listen is getting more and more calmer!

Wild Wood - Paul Weller

First Cut is the Deepest - Cat Stevens

Anything by Glen Hansard or The Frames for that matter.

Roddy Frame (of Aztec Camera fame) also released an album a few years ago which was recorded at his home, its just him an acoustic guitar and 11 beautifully crafted songs. The album is called Surf and I urge you all to buy it.

Wild World - Cat Stevens

Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young

Blackbird - Beatles

The Gardner - Tallest Man on Earth

I'm quite partial to Leo Kottke's version of 'Eight Miles high'.

Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I can tell age is kicking in when The music I listen is getting more and more calmer!

Wild Wood - Paul Weller

First Cut is the Deepest - Cat Stevens

Wild Wood =CLASS

Anyone heard of Dutch singer Anouk ??

You can't leave Joni Mitchell or Leonard Cohen out of this. Two of the finest crafters of lyrics in the last century!

Led Zeppelin did some very good acoustic numbers. I love the combination of acoustic guitar and mandolin (as well as Sandy Denny's voice) on The Battle Of Evermore

Anything by Glen Hansard or The Frames for that matter.

Roddy Frame (of Aztec Camera fame) also released an album a few years ago which was recorded at his home, its just him an acoustic guitar and 11 beautifully crafted songs. The album is called Surf and I urge you all to buy it.

The live in Osaka and live at Ronnie Scott's albums are great too.

As for acoustic songs,Rock God,On the Avenue,High Class Music and Bigger,Brighter,Better all by Roddy frame

Led Zeppelin did some very good acoustic numbers. I love the combination of acoustic guitar and mandolin (as well as Sandy Denny's voice) on The Battle Of Evermore

I have surprised a few people by playing them Zeppelins acoustic stuff, they have a very different image of them.

Battle of Evermore is class and I would throw in there Gallows Pole, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Tangerine.

I have surprised a few people by playing them Zeppelins acoustic stuff, they have a very different image of them.

Battle of Evermore is class and I would throw in there Gallows Pole, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Tangerine.

Yep, cracking tunes all of them.

Sweet Home Chicago......Robert Johnson

What counts an acoustic song? i went to a performance of Handel's "Messiah" on Saturday night - no mikes, just choir, orchestra and soloists. Does that count?

What counts an acoustic song? i went to a performance of Handel's "Messiah" on Saturday night - no mikes, just choir, orchestra and soloists. Does that count?

Did they use an electric violin or piano etc. If the answer is no then its acoustic to me.

glory halleuah by frank turner

christmas time in washington by steve earle

we have fed you for a thousnad years by utah phillips

3 class songs

I've never been a purist when it comes to acoustic music, and it seems a bit silly to exclude electric instruments from a performance just because of the nature of the song.

One band I've followed for four decades is Jethro Tull, and, although they are a undoubtedly a rock band, a substantial proportion of their music centres around the acoustic guitar, mandolin and flute playing of front man, Ian Anderson. Even for what are basically acoustic songs, there are still four other rock musicians in the band who are going to make their contribution. If it's subtle then it's not really noticeable; if it's anything but subtle then the contrast can add to the drama; either way it's the overall result that matters.

By way of example, Mother Goose/Jack-a-Lynn (Istanbul, 1991):

If that's not 'pure' enough, I'll nominate Life's a Long Song:

That's not a song, it's an Oratorio. HTH ;)

Enjoy! :)

You haven't mentioned their best accoustic song - Going to California. A shocking omission IMO. I'd throw That's The Way in there as well.

As for best accoustic song ever, Wish You Were Here must be a contender as must Yesterday.

Personal faves include A Better Man (Thunder), Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) and Patience (GnR).