Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

Tour de France: Yorkshire to host start of 2014 race

27 posts in this topic

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...ycling/20724621

Leeds in Yorkshire will host the start of the 2014 Tour de France, before heading to London for a stage finish.

The county will host racing on 5 and 6 July before the Tour moves south for a third stage, finishing in London.

Right in the middle of our season. Maybe it will coincide with a SuperLeague local derby such as Fax v Fev Leeds v Bradford

Surely we can arrange Wiggins Wigan to be away at Leeds?

I think the original proposal was to start in Scarborough and travel via the Dales and Pennines to Leeds.

They were also going to go through Burnley and Rochdale but the organisers thought that a 28-mile pave section was too long.

B)

Can they put the test match on in Headingley then so that the good people of Yorkshire can have some real sport to watch instead?

They were also going to go through Burnley and Rochdale but the organisers thought that a 28-mile pave section was too long.

B)

You are a card !!! :)

The fans love pave - I can see Wiggins piling down Packer Street near the town hall and then up and over Rooley Moor Road before descending into Rawtenstall.

Can they put the test match on in Headingley then so that the good people of Yorkshire can have some real sport to watch instead?

ooo get her

Clogs and flat caps will be required to be worn by all competitors on these Stages :D :D :D

Clogs and flat caps will be required to be worn by all competitors on these Stages :D :D :D

Time bonuses for the first rider to bring back a Hovis from t' shops.

I know they are trying to get a stage to come over the Humber Bridge.

It was certainly mentioned at the time of the bid but the route hadn't been decided upon. I wouldn't imagine it has been yet.

Would they have to stop halfway and turn back before they got to the Lincolnshire end? Will they have to use the cycle path? If not there could be a huge stack up while the riders at the front try to find some change for the toll.

It's a logistical nightmare.

Ah, the traditional Leeds-sur-Aire stage, eh?

The merchandising machine is in overdrive

CFKA000600.jpg

:D saw these in Evans a few weeks ago. Would be tempted but I'm not fast enough to be that brazen.

:D saw these in Evans a few weeks ago. Would be tempted but I'm not fast enough to be that brazen.

Yeah, throwing down the gauntlet can turn out badly :)

B)

Lancashire's paid nowt

Let's face it, there's just no way you can make that colour combination look good.

Normally, you're right but you have to admit that the Welsh flag is iconic and I think that this Welsh cycling jersey looks okay as well.

I think they've screwed up a really nice design by plonking that bloomin' great white rose on the back.

1. Anything that covers up the blue and yellow does the trick for me!

;)

2. On a more serious note, I always thought that the Bulls "away" jerseys would look fantastic with a huge white rose across the back where players numbers (and fans' replica jerseys if desired) could be superimposed .

It would be a great marketing tool if all the Yorkshire club jerseys had a White Rose background for the numbers.