Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lounge Room Lizard

Another mess at academy level thanks to the clubs and RFL

78 posts in this topic

The fans need to look at themselves as well.

Oldham have run a successful reserve side for a few years. They perform well. It produced a number of players who have moved up into the first team. It was highly regarded.

Last year some fans were calling for it to be scrapped as the money saved should of been spent on promotion. We blame the RFL and clubs for short termism, without looking at the elephant in the room that is the fans.

Another way to look at is that it will discourage kids playing the game. If cc just run a first team and no academies the kids that dont get picked up by sl will just give up.

The RFL have stated over hundreds of times that you need all the academy's to progress to SL. We have invested very heavily in our academy's to progress to SL and now get told the under 23s is being scraped what a joke. I'm sick of the RFL changing the goal posts to help the so called big clubs its not a business it's being dictated to by the so called big clubs. What chance do we have of getting to SL even if we do everything the RFL want us to because they keep changing the rules to help the teams that are already there? But I'm sure our club will be asking for a big compensation pay out and they should recieve one IMO.

So now Fev have a highly acclaimed scholarship system up to under 16's level and then a four year gap to the under 20's . So what's the point? The obvious course of action will now be to abandon the scholarship pathway as it serves no purpose any longer. Well done RFL,

Total shambles.

Is that what Fev and Fax and Sheffield did?

We're talking about an u23 league.

We're talking about any structure whatsoever below the first 17 at professional rugby league clubs.

Come on, it's not that hard.

Yes they did, Tim and myself had a few chats during Eagles U23's games last summer.

I can't understand what's all the fuss is about, check the history of the RFL/Pro clubs and the different age groups they have run and for how long.

Precisely.

A governing body needs to see beyond the interests of individual clubs and see what's good for the sport long term. They need to take everyone's best interests into consideration when decsions are made.

I severely doubt I can be convinced that what's gone on with junior rugby and SL-CC link ups since the end of last season is in the long term best interests of the sport as a whole.

Okay, but say the RFL put out a command: you must have an Academy side or else you won't be in the Championship.

And half the clubs say they can't or won't do it.

What can the RFL realistically do?

(In soccer if that happened they could relegate those clubs safe in the knowledge that at every tier of the game there are eager clubs ready to come along and replace them. The same as far as I can see would be true for the rahs. It's clearly not the case for league ... so what can a governing body do?)

Some posters shouting that the RFL should make all Championship clubs have a reserve/Under 23 team need to stop and think a little bit away from the convenient M62 connurbations.

Workington and Whitehaven already have more expense than the rest of the Championship clubs due to the amount of travelling they put in and to do the same for each of those clubs to support a reserve/ Under 23 team would add another £30k - £40k per season to their costs.

People were jumping through hoops to allow SL to do away with the Under 18's and Under 20's in order to save each club around £100k. If the RFL want ALL Championship clubs to have a reserve/Under 23 team then let then subsidise the travel costs of clubs like the two west Cumbrian clubs.

...get Lewis back there ....

Don't be silly. The fruits of his labours are now ripening. He knew what was coming and got out before the proverbial brown stuff hit the spinning thing.

The NCL was winter when the U23 was bigger and players did double up.

In my opinion the RFL should never have wasted money on Crusaders, Bradford or any pro team. I

Which clubs should they have waste money on?

Not a bad idea in terms of our elite league but without Fev, Fax, Leigh & Sheffield the Championships would suffer badly without the support of these clubs. It would make the pyramid even more "top heavy" which in the long term can't be a good thing.

Suffer exactly how??

Beyond the odd couple of CC clubs the rest have no real ambition for professional RL.

Just put those who want to be professionals in one league and those who want to be "a" teams to SL clubs in another.

Just get on with it and stop messing clubs about.

Suffer exactly how??

Beyond the odd couple of CC clubs the rest have no real ambition for professional RL.

Just put those who want to be professionals in one league and those who want to be "a" teams to SL clubs in another.

Just get on with it and stop messing clubs about.

Amen to that Parky. Those clubs which have chosen to become 'partners' have voted for an existence of mediocrity or less. There's fewer than a handful of top CC clubs that want much more and they need to be accommodated.

Tiers 1 ,2 and 3 sat down together for the first time below full RFL Council last week in York to discuss these very issues.

CC cannot sustain a viable U 23's competition .

SL ( against advice ) will only operate a U19 's reserve pro team and rely otherwise on the dual / loan system..

CC at extended scholarship is a non runner and the only meaningful viable competition is U 20's.,.hopefully thereby compromising the differing ideologies running within CC.

A debate still has to be had and a deal struck on the player movement between 2 and 3. The integrity of the various competition structures remain paramount

Hopefully more meetings planned for the near future.....

But will the game support the recommendations at the end of the day or yet again just shoot the messengers /?

Amen to that Parky. Those clubs which have chosen to become 'partners' have voted for an existence of mediocrity or less. There's fewer than a handful of top CC clubs that want much more and they need to be accommodated.

Moving from semi pro to fully pro is a mountain to climb.

If there are a couple of clubs who want to climb that mountain then for gawds sake let them. We need ambitious energetic clubs with serious ambition. If the mountain is a bit to steep level it out a bit. Don't sit back and make clubs struggle.

But be respectful to CC clubs who don't want to climb a mountain they know they cannot climb.

Too many dreamers on here harbour ambitions for championship clubs when they have no right to do so. These dreamers talk about what clubs should do but would not dream of sending on a personal cheque to help it happen.

If a couple of people run a CC club and put their time and money into it to help it survive, and decide they have not got the money or resource to climb the mountain who are you or I to accuse them of voting for "mediocrity or less".

Don't worry about it we can still sign over paid Aussies and throw loads of money at S/L clubs for them to waste youth development it not a priority by the looks of it If some CC clubs can set the scolarship programmes up with no funding why can't our S/L clubs do the same

Until all the clubs have a say the lower leagues are on a no win situation

Tiers 1 ,2 and 3 sat down together for the first time below full RFL Council last week in York to discuss these very issues.

CC cannot sustain a viable U 23's competition .

SL ( against advice ) will only operate a U19 's reserve pro team and rely otherwise on the dual / loan system..

CC at extended scholarship is a non runner and the only meaningful viable competition is U 20's.,.hopefully thereby compromising the differing ideologies running within CC.

A debate still has to be had and a deal struck on the player movement between 2 and 3. The integrity of the various competition structures remain paramount :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully more meetings planned for the near future.....

But will the game support the recommendations at the end of the day or yet again just shoot the messengers /?

edited.

not long now until the top 4 or 5 clubs are playing union and the rest are playing for ale money.

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the actual decision for a moment; shouldn't these plans be considered and announced well in advance of the season? That's surely the biggest cock up in the whole affair.

Moving from semi pro to fully pro is a mountain to climb.

If there are a couple of clubs who want to climb that mountain then for gawds sake let them. We need ambitious energetic clubs with serious ambition. If the mountain is a bit to steep level it out a bit. Don't sit back and make clubs struggle.

But be respectful to CC clubs who don't want to climb a mountain they know they cannot climb.

Too many dreamers on here harbour ambitions for championship clubs when they have no right to do so. These dreamers talk about what clubs should do but would not dream of sending on a personal cheque to help it happen.

If a couple of people run a CC club and put their time and money into it to help it survive, and decide they have not got the money or resource to climb the mountain who are you or I to accuse them of voting for "mediocrity or less".

Good post.

At the moment there are 3 maybe 4 clubs with ambitions to be in SL and are stuck in limbo. This in itself causes problems for the RFL. I am sure they would prefer all clubs in the cc to have no ambitions of playing in SL or not having the means to do so. Or ideally they would want the 2nd tier to be the opposite. All teams having the ambition and the means to do so.

maybe some of the clubs in the lower divisions have had the ambition knocked out of them.

Maybe some see SL as not for them or chasing the SL dream could put the club at risk of going bust.

Maybe, just maybe, the clubs literally cant afford it!

We keep hearing from experts here that clubs should cut their cloth accordingly, and we are also happy that rl is one of the cheapest sports around - well we cant have it all ways.

Maybe some see SL as not for them or chasing the SL dream could put the club at risk of going bust.

To operate in Superleague and fulfill the license clubs need to turn over millions, and to do this they need quality players and thousands of fans.

In all the years I've watched the game I have never seen any of the small clubs do anything but survive, yet we still have this idea that somehow if they have the "will" there's a way, or if the have "ambition" this will pay the bills.

I've also been told countless times small clubs can "regroup" in the championships, "build" in the champiuonships and "get ready for Superleague" I haven't seen that in 17 years. The only small clubs to get in SL did it with a rich mans wallet.

Now I am told that top championship clubs are now as good as the clubs at the bottom of SL which ignors that the latter are only down to that level because they have failed miserably.

SL needs a shake up so it can contain all the clubs who want to be there without them risking going bust, but the licensing process needs dumping and the whole system of applying for SL needs to be available for everyone in the game to scrutinise. Clubs who want SL should lay their plans bare and lay the costings bare, so the next time a CC club disingenously applies knowing they won't get in but it will keep the fans interest up, they can be found out so there's no crying "they wouldn't let us in".

Equaly clubs who don't want SL should say so, so their fans can stop pushing for something the club doesn't even want. A bit of honesty may go a long way to re-uniting the game.