Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lounge Room Lizard

Another mess at academy level thanks to the clubs and RFL

78 posts in this topic

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the actual decision for a moment; shouldn't these plans be considered and announced well in advance of the season? That's surely the biggest cock up in the whole affair.

That hits the nail on the head for me.

Presumably clubs have coaches, support staff and players in place to fulfill these teams, all feels a little 11th hour to me, given we're now in pre-season!

Moving from semi pro to fully pro is a mountain to climb.

If there are a couple of clubs who want to climb that mountain then for gawds sake let them. We need ambitious energetic clubs with serious ambition. If the mountain is a bit to steep level it out a bit. Don't sit back and make clubs struggle.

But be respectful to CC clubs who don't want to climb a mountain they know they cannot climb.

Too many dreamers on here harbour ambitions for championship clubs when they have no right to do so. These dreamers talk about what clubs should do but would not dream of sending on a personal cheque to help it happen.

If a couple of people run a CC club and put their time and money into it to help it survive, and decide they have not got the money or resource to climb the mountain who are you or I to accuse them of voting for "mediocrity or less".

The fully pro mountain is so steep and slippery that only a handful of clubs can afford to stay on it without falling into the crevasse of financial meltdown. Too many dreamers harbour fully professional ambitions for clubs who have no chance of survivng at that level as the number of failures in SL in recent years has demonstrated.

If the mountain were levelled, i.e a reduction in the amounts paid out in wages, then the present SL might be possible to sustain. If not, forget it. Contraction to a rump of 8 or so clubs will ensue. When that happens, there will not be enough SL clubs for the a team/feeder clubs to baby up to. They will have to sink or swim on their own.

SL needs therefore to become a less expensive league to operate in. This will stabilize existing strugglers, give the SL wannabees a chance to compete, and leave more wet nurses available for the never wannabees to suckle up to.

The bottom line is there is not enough money to operate a fully professional decent sized top competition at current wage levels and there needs to be some acknowledgement of that by the SL/RFL and running expenses need to be reduced for SL clubs to a sustainable level, whether that be a reduced remuneration SL or even a top level semi pro SL.

The fully pro mountain is so steep and slippery that only a handful of clubs can afford to stay on it without falling into the crevasse of financial meltdown. Too many dreamers harbour fully professional ambitions for clubs who have no chance of survivng at that level as the number of failures in SL in recent years has demonstrated.

If the mountain were levelled, i.e a reduction in the amounts paid out in wages, then the present SL might be possible to sustain. If not, forget it. Contraction to a rump of 8 or so clubs will ensue. When that happens, there will not be enough SL clubs for the a team/feeder clubs to baby up to. They will have to sink or swim on their own.

SL needs therefore to become a less expensive league to operate in. This will stabilize existing strugglers, give the SL wannabees a chance to compete, and leave more wet nurses available for the never wannabees to suckle up to.

The bottom line is there is not enough money to operate a fully professional decent sized top competition at current wage levels and there needs to be some acknowledgement of that by the SL/RFL and running expenses need to be reduced for SL clubs to a sustainable level, whether that be a reduced remuneration SL or even a top level semi pro SL.

Agree, the clubs who seriously want to be in SL should meet and talk collectively, not just the current incumbents led by the big four........

Does EVERY bleeding thread have to be 'reductio ad P&R debate' ??

This was about scrapping the u23s at short notice.

Don't worry about it we can still sign over paid Aussies and throw loads of money at S/L clubs for them to waste youth development it not a priority by the looks of it If some CC clubs can set the scolarship programmes up with no funding why can't our S/L clubs do the same

Until all the clubs have a say the lower leagues are on a no win situation

So true, your statement has just reminded me of the last Colts Championship winning side (Cas Tigers) Stuart Raper came along got rid of most of these kids and brought in 2nd rate Aussies before shooting of the Wigan, I don't think Cas has ever recovered from the gap this action created.

Agree, the clubs who seriously want to be in SL should meet and talk collectively, not just the current incumbents led by the big four........

I wouldn't say the top table are incumbentants, IMO the top table will protect what they have at all costs with little regard for what goes on further down the food chain.

Does EVERY bleeding thread have to be P&R debate' ??

This was about scrapping the u23s at short notice.

Does every bleeding thread have to be put in a straightjacket :lol:

I don't think it's gone onto P & R it's gone onto serious CC clubs who want to develop players being put into Superleague.

As you say player development is very important.

You ask about the lack of ambition of CC clubs to develop talent. To me it's pointless them doing it as the SL clubs either take their best local players away before they can get in their academy, or if they slip the net like Zac, they get them in the end anyway.

Every year Superleague must pick up the best 200 young players?, the very best may make professional, the next best may find a semi pro contract, and well over half these lads don't make it at all.

So who is left for the small championship clubs to "develop"? And at what cost??

I assume that Featherstone and Sheffield won't be entering a team in the Championship u20s competition as they are taking the spots of Catalans and Salford in the SL u19s competition.

Interesting that you have seasoned professionals stating that they play too many games in a season so the RFL decides it will be good for a young player's development to play the same number of games!

Sounds like U20 will get cancelled for lack of interest when say only Leigh, Keighley and Halifax enter?

Out of interest does the above mean South Wales Scorpions are gone from the SL Academy?

Who did anyone ever think would be in this proposed u20 comp??

There were just six clubs in the u23 comp in 2012, and IIRC just Fev, Sheff and South Wales who ran u18s.

So which of the other Championship clubs would now decide in this economic climate that, with the benefit of SL cast-offs to bolster their first XVII that they will now launch an u20 side having not had an u18 or u23 (Or any level) the year before?

Crazy.

Sorry just for clarity I haven't heard the U20 will be scrapped but I'm making an educated guess based on the 2 strongest sides opting out.

Sorry just for clarity I haven't heard the U20 will be scrapped but I'm making an educated guess based on the 2 strongest sides opting out.

It's a fairly logical assumption to make. Where did you hear about Fev & Sheff being in the u19s?

Looks like Oldham, Leigh, York, Halifax, Keighley and Hunslet had a mini U18 league last year so presumably they're the basis of the proposed U20 league? Though that is to have 12 games. I don't see the point of taking players from amateur clubs for just 12 games, should be all season or nothing IMO.

Looks like Oldham, Leigh, York, Halifax, Keighley and Hunslet had a mini U18 league last year so presumably they're the basis of the proposed U20 league? Though that is to have 12 games. I don't see the point of taking players from amateur clubs for just 12 games, should be all season or nothing IMO.

Bowes, have a read of Drayl Powell talking here. It now appears that Fev & Sheff will be allowed to play all the players we've signed for our U23 squad in certain fixtures of this new u20 league.

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/featherstone-rovers/flexible-format-for-fixtures-1-5240977

It sounds c rap.

Instead of starting up a brand new u20 league, which will have to be reformed anyway when the (SL) clubs realise that the two stage junior development programme of u16 and u19 won't work, why not just cajole a few more Championship clubs into restarting their disbanded u23 sides now that most clubs will have an influx of new loanees and therefore bigger squads?

I can't imagine Sheffield will run U19, U20 and Sheffield Hallam in Conference South but makes sense Featherstone have U19 and U20?

I can't imagine Sheffield will run U19, U20 and Sheffield Hallam in Conference South but makes sense Featherstone have U19 and U20?

Not sure. The whole thing is crying out for a system where everyone (SL and all the championship clubs that want to) is running u16 u18 and u21 (with 2/3 overage players).

I think the Championship U20 proposal is merely a plan of treading water til the NCL can be talked into dual registration of Championship players.

I think the Championship U20 proposal is merely a plan of treading water til the NCL can be talked into dual registration of Championship players.

Possibly. This only goes to show how ad hoc, cobbled together and badly thought out the whole system is. What's the point of getting this u20 league up and running at all?

If there is any future at all in SL clubs copping out by farming out fringe players to CC clubs, then logically the CC clubs will have to follow suit and use NCL clubs. Fev Rovers to Fev Lions being an obvious possible solution, which as you point out is not available for 2013.

Championship U20

Salford

Oldham

Rochdale

Leigh

Featherstone

Halifax

Keighley

York

Hemel

South Wales

Interestingly the presence of teams from Hemel and South Wales means its likely that the Conference League South will only have 7 teams although it's plausible there'll be a south Wales team there as well

Championship U20

Salford

Oldham

Rochdale

Leigh

Featherstone

Halifax

Keighley

York

Hemel

South Wales

Interestingly the presence of teams from Hemel and South Wales means its likely that the Conference League South will only have 7 teams although it's plausible there'll be a south Wales team there as well

No Sheffield?

Championship U20

Salford

Oldham

Rochdale

Leigh

Featherstone

Halifax

Keighley

York

Hemel

South Wales

So the hemel and SW teams are open age? OR they were going to run an u20 side in the Conference?

No Sheffield? Where are they? In the u19s with SL teams?

Are Featherstone doing an u19 side too?

What are Salford doing there?

So the hemel and SW teams are open age? OR they were going to run an u20 side in the Conference?

No Sheffield? Where are they? In the u19s with SL teams?

Are Featherstone doing an u19 side too?

What are Salford doing there?

fev are doing a 19s

The fixtures were released in the Rugby League press on Monday,and those are the teams named in the fixtures.

But due to clubs commiting to feature within a different number of fixtures the league table will be decided upon a percentage basis depending on games played starts on March 2nd.