Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my missus

benefit of the doubt

46 posts in this topic

But if a VR sees something then he will disallow it, meaning it is pretty much identical to the RL call (or the first Union question).

I remember a feature on the VR in RL a couple of years back, and it was stated that the VR and Ref engage in conversation, yet this is either minimal or muted by Sky. I've never seen Premier's coverage of a game,

does it come across their with their VR being mic'd up?

It's a small difference around the BOD and refs call system that we and the Aussies have.

What I've seen of the VR on PS you only really see the refs ask the same questions they do on Sky. You don't hear them come out with any extra information the difference is what you hear from the VR as he talks to the video controller and talks his way through the decision.

These give the same outcome as a League VR question,I've had this discussion on the Cross Code forum and nobody has ever been able to explain the difference:

Q1 - same as RL

Q2 - the answer will be a yes or no to a try - exactly the same as Q1 in effect

Q3 - same as RL penalty try question

Exactly, 1 and 2 serve the same purpose. Is it a try or not.

There's three questions a Union ref can ask the TMO

(1)Is it a Try, yes or no?

(2)Is there any reason why I can't award a Try?

(3)If it weren't for an act of foul play would a Try have probably been scored?

(4) I haven't seen a try for a while and can't for the life of me remember what one looks like. Shall I just give Sir Jonny a shot at goal?

So basically, there will always be decisions that are not clear cut.

The NRL deal with it one way, the RFU deal with it another way. Neither organisation can stop the act of scoring from sometimes being unclear.

The RFL use the age old rule of benefit of doubt goes to the attacking side.

No matter which way any one of those 3 organisations treat the issue one side will be getting the benefit of the doubt under certain circumstances.

So basically, there will always be decisions that are not clear cut.

The NRL deal with it one way, the RFU deal with it another way. Neither organisation can stop the act of scoring from sometimes being unclear.

The RFL use the age old rule of benefit of doubt goes to the attacking side.

No matter which way any one of those 3 organisations treat the issue one side will be getting the benefit of the doubt under certain circumstances.

I think we may be in danger of all agreeing with each other

Must be the season of goodwill getting to us :D

I think the Australians going it alone yet again regarding procedures and laws is seriously causing a difference in how the game is played between the two hemispheres and we need to be careful or we will have two games instead of one.

The RLIF should be given the power to make final decisions on such changes. Each and every league in the world can come up with ideas for change or improvement but the final decision as to whether to trial such ideas or to make them permanent changes should come from the RLIF.

But if a VR sees something then he will disallow it, meaning it is pretty much identical to the RL call (or the first Union question).

I remember a feature on the VR in RL a couple of years back, and it was stated that the VR and Ref engage in conversation, yet this is either minimal or muted by Sky. I've never seen Premier's coverage of a game, does it come across their with their VR being mic'd up?

Re premier coverage, I don't recall the VR ever asking for input from the onfield ref in the games ive seen.

in the first nrl game of the coming season pound to a penny a try is scored that is a bit dodgy and the commentary team will be arguing if we had BotD that would have been given. :rolleyes:

I think we may be in danger of all agreeing with each other

Must be the season of goodwill getting to us :D

Not me, Padge started a sentence with 'So'. Bloody youngsters.

Never mind BOTD when are we going to do away with that ultimate cop out for refs "on report". Either you saw it or you didn't ref. Take appropriate action.

Never mind BOTD when are we going to do away with that ultimate cop out for refs "on report". Either you saw it or you didn't ref. Take appropriate action.

Given that choice, the ref will go for I didn't see it and that's the end of it.

I've seen players with no-one near them go over the try line and just touch the ground with their elbow without touching the ground with the ball and a try is awarded. Minutes later in another incident the ref has asked to VR to judge if a ball has touched a blade of grass in a melee over the line.

I've seen players with no-one near them go over the try line and just touch the ground with their elbow without touching the ground with the ball and a try is awarded. Minutes later in another incident the ref has asked to VR to judge if a ball has touched a blade of grass in a melee over the line.

Is grass deemed to be part of the ground ? I can't find a definition in the laws of the game....

Given that choice, the ref will go for I didn't see it and that's the end of it.

So scrap it then. All the games are reviewed during the following week anyway and stuff the ref missed can always be called in. Unfortunately refs can use the referral option to cop out of difficult or controversial decsions

Again without wanting to get the thread relocated to the Cross Code Forum, the RU version is to have a Citing Commissioner specifically to look at any acts of foul play not dealt with by the Ref on the pitch.

Again without wanting to get the thread relocated to the Cross Code Forum, the RU version is to have a Citing Commissioner specifically to look at any acts of foul play not dealt with by the Ref on the pitch.

As ever in union: same thing, poncier title.

I 100% guarantee that the VR - whatever the rules, wordings or job title is - will make monumental howlers from start to finish awarding tries that never were and dissalowing tries tries that were perfectly fine

Usually based on the teams scoring them rather than anything else

So scrap it then. All the games are reviewed during the following week anyway and stuff the ref missed can always be called in. Unfortunately refs can use the referral option to cop out of difficult or controversial decsions

Report highlights an incident to ensure it is looked at, club videos are not always as clear as TV ones, report gives a point in time during the game when the ref believes the reviewers should pay particular attention.

Not everything is apparent on a first view.

Report highlights an incident to ensure it is looked at, club videos are not always as clear as TV ones, report gives a point in time during the game when the ref believes the reviewers should pay particular attention.

Not everything is apparent on a first view.

Which is what happens from time to time, but there are also times when it is misused.

Which is what happens from time to time, but there are also times when it is misused.

All laws occasionally get misused, do we scrap them all?

All laws occasionally get misused, do we scrap them all?

Good idea. :dry:

This one seems to have outlived its purpose.