Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

If only Super League could do the same

34 posts in this topic

What does this have to do with Super League?

Nothing, the Aussie game is climbing to new heights, SL is plumbing new depths.

I just wish the Aussies would use a small percentage of this money to help the game in the various Pacific Islands - now is the time to have a real go at Tonga,Fiji,Samoa,Cook Islands etc.A bit of money spent here,would give the International game some much needed credibility,as well as giving the Aussies a return on their investment.

I just wish the Aussies would use a small percentage of this money to help the game in the various Pacific Islands - now is the time to have a real go at Tonga,Fiji,Samoa,Cook Islands etc.A bit of money spent here,would give the International game some much needed credibility,as well as giving the Aussies a return on their investment.

Totally support that view. I hope that's positive enough for you.

What does this have to do with Super League?

Nothing. Its about as relevant as comparing the English Premier League to the Australian A-League.

Australia donates significantly to those at the moment.

not the SL i watch.

Lets not get into it though, we have enough threads discussing the state of SL :-)

Nothing. Its about as relevant as comparing the English Premier League to the Australian A-League.

indeed.

Sorry but that is totally hysterical and OTT.

You say you have been around a long time, so go back and have a think. Then, if you can tell me there was a period in RL history where no clubs had financial problems or the RFL faced tough off field issues, then I'll agree with you.

But as you will know, some clubs have had financial problems since day one. The difference is you're trying to make out it is a new phenomena.

New depths my a***. Problems? Plenty. Depths? Like what?

You say you have been around a long time, so go back and have a think. Then, if you can tell me there was a period in RL history where no clubs had financial problems or the RFL faced tough off field issues, then I'll agree with you.

But as you will know, some clubs have had financial problems since day one. The difference is you're trying to make out it is a new phenomena.

I wonder if he could also show us ANY other sport where none of its member teams have ever ran into any kind of difficulties due to awful financial decisions made by said members owners (and not their governing body). Any sport, any era even...

Football?

Union?

Cricket?

Basketball?

Ice Hockey?

Field Hockey?

I wonder if he could also show us ANY other sport where none of its member teams have ever ran into any kind of difficulties due to awful financial decisions made by said members owners (and not their governing body). Any sport, any era even...

Football?

Union?

Cricket?

Basketball?

Ice Hockey?

Field Hockey?

No. Because all those sports are genuine sports whereas RL is just driven by money. :rolleyes:

I agree with you to a certain extent but you have got to admit that a follower of a different sport looking in who doesn't know much about RL must be thinking what a mess.

There have, it is true, always been one club or another in some kind of crisis. However, my comment, which has been called hysterically over the top, was made on the basis of the Australian game going to new heights, namely, a billion dollar TV contract, record sponsorships with huge car companies, huge crowds, an amazing junior set up. Proably the most successful period in the history of the game anywhere, certainly ofthe history of the game in Australia.

In contrast, it would appear to me that SL is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been three bankruptcies of SL clubs in the last couple of years with probably a 4th in Salford just around the corner. There are reported serious financial difficulties being countered at Castleford and Hull KR, that's just under 50% of the league. I am old and I have followed this game for a long time and i cannot ever remember there being as many clubs in deep trouble all at the same time. The crowds at London, Castleford and Hull Kr are going down . The crowds at Widnes and Salford are not increasing enough to make the clubs self sufficient.

The development of players is taking a hit with the wholesale abandonment of the under 19 teams.

When contrasted with the upbeat status of the game in Australia, I stand by my statement. The NRL is scaling new heights, the SL is plumbing new depths. I find nothing hysterical about that, just an opinion based on some salient facts. Sorry to be a killjoy, but the SL is in crisis, as an entity. Several clubs are outstanding successes but overall health of the whole league is not good.

I agree with you to a certain extent but you have got to admit that a follower of a different sport looking in who doesn't know much about RL must be thinking what a mess.

Yeah but I look at other sports and think they are ridiculous. How fair is it that you can't win the PL without spending around a billion pounds using mercenary players?

There have, it is true, always been one club or another in some kind of crisis. However, my comment, which has been called hysterically over the top, was made on the basis of the Australian game going to new heights, namely, a billion dollar TV contract, record sponsorships with huge car companies, huge crowds, an amazing junior set up. Proably the most successful period in the history of the game anywhere, certainly ofthe history of the game in Australia.

In contrast, it would appear to me that SL is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been three bankruptcies of SL clubs in the last couple of years with probably a 4th in Salford just around the corner. There are reported serious financial difficulties being countered at Castleford and Hull KR, that's just under 50% of the league. I am old and I have followed this game for a long time and i cannot ever remember there being as many clubs in deep trouble all at the same time. The crowds at London, Castleford and Hull Kr are going down . The crowds at Widnes and Salford are not increasing enough to make the clubs self sufficient.

The development of players is taking a hit with the wholesale abandonment of the under 19 teams.

When contrasted with the upbeat status of the game in Australia, I stand by my statement. The NRL is scaling new heights, the SL is plumbing new depths. I find nothing hysterical about that, just an opinion based on some salient facts. Sorry to be a killjoy, but the SL is in crisis, as an entity. Several clubs are outstanding successes but overall health of the whole league is not good.

It is entirely possible to be pleased for the Australian game without denigrating our own comp.

Its not comparing like with like anyway. Plus, how do they achieve this with no P&R AND have demoted some historic clubs like Newtown and Norths? How can they achieve these things whilst doing such things?

It is entirely possible to be pleased for the Australian game without denigrating our own comp.

Its not comparing like with like anyway. Plus, how do they achieve this with no P&R AND have demoted some historic clubs like Newtown and Norths? How can they achieve these things whilst doing such things?

There is a hell of a lot more money pumped into Australian RL than our game. Also RL is their main sport over there. RL over here might not be in our top 5 sports.

There is a hell of a lot more money pumped into Australian RL than our game. Also RL is their main sport over there. RL over here might not be in our top 5 sports.

It's not their main sport, that's probably cricket. But I agree it's up there. However, how did it get where it is and become so dominant without the things that SL gets derided for? (ie p&r) Answering 'it's just our way' is not a decent enough answer IMO, there has to be another reason(s). It's not as simple as saying they don't have P&R either, I reckon there's a host of reasons.

i'm really pleased the Aussie game is (rightly) raking in the cash but it's no reason to trash our game.

It's not their main sport, that's probably cricket. But I agree it's up there. However, how did it get where it is and become so dominant without the things that SL gets derided for? (ie p&r) Answering 'it's just our way' is not a decent enough answer IMO, there has to be another reason(s). It's not as simple as saying they don't have P&R either, I reckon there's a host of reasons.

i'm really pleased the Aussie game is (rightly) raking in the cash but it's no reason to trash our game.

The problem over here is millionaires would rather put their money into football, formula 1 etc than RL. In Australia it's a major sport and millionaires are attracted to the game I.e Russell Crowe. We wouldn't get anyone with millions pumping it into our game today because its not a major sport over here. The majority of the population would rather watch a football match ( not me by the way) Also with Salford being in Manchester they have to compete with man . U and city no brainer for a mancunian really is it? Same with the rhinos I notice when Leeds utd are doing badly the rhinos crowds improve and etc. But in Australia there isn't another sport as big as football to compete with it.

Vic Rules is a big threat to RL in Australia, so its not like they have it all their own way. What they have they have earned though. Superb footballers like Thurston etc deserve it and more besides.

I suggest that you check out what's goiung on in other sports: sports that don't face anything like the challenges that Rugby League has had to face during its history.

SL is not the NRL and it should stop trying to be it! SL and the clubs need to first work out a way forward, what best not just for the clubs, but the game in general. It then needs to follow a framework that can be easily adjusted when something doesnt quite goes as planned. What works in Australia or elsewhere doesnt always work in Europe. Maybe a certain percentage of the Sky money received should be forced to be spent on other areas other than the playing staff. Maybe one or two Development Officers and better Ground / Training facilities for academy as well as first team etc. SL and the clubs certainly need to be better run and it may mean some tough short term measures are needed to get the SL comp and the clubs doing things way better than right now. SL has potential but its at a crossroads which could see it struggle along as it has for the past couple of years or go in a far more positive direction.

LRL: reasonable points. But how come all the failings of the games previous 100 years are laid at the door of todays game? Why weren't they doing all this 50-60 years ago? Why didn't they learn when clubs like Manningham turned to soccer? I aren't disagreeing with you that much but its a bit much to expect today's game to sort out historical failings - especially in today's sporting environment.

Agree John with what you are saying. Many of the problems of today are things that have been around for decades and as such not just a SL problem. My problems with SL- both now and in history since 1996 is that the Clubs have wasted the money on players and not built for the future. The RFL have not helped. What happened in the past before SL is gone. SL was the chance for me for the game and not just SL to have a framework of what was needed and is still needed for the game to grow not just SL. I was critical of the way my club was ran during the SL years under Nigel Wood as CEO. It spent money it didnt have and caused many problems. Halifax problem is not unique. So many SL clubs have overspent and been badly run since 1996. This is why we see so many clubs in trouble. Sky money should have been used to upgrade stadia and facilities as well as help pay for things like Development Officers etc. Instead most of the Sky money which is hundreds of millions has been thrown away on players and their agents. I feel strongly that SL clubs should have been forced to run U18 and U20s/reserve grade since day one and work on helping the amateur teams in their service area to help more youngsters take up the sport. The RFL should have been spending more on Development Officers and helping teams both in and outside the heartland since 1996. The game now would have had a much stronger base and have a better players standard both at amateur and Pro level. The RFL and SL have done things well. But for me its not done it enough and why we see so many problems now in our game. Richard Lewis was great. I know many are upset he split GB up. But it benefitted the game by getting million in and it helped the Scots, Welsh and Irish to have their own identity. GB was all effect England with the odd exception.

Right now our game is at a crossroads. SL can keep struggling along like it has since 1996 and pretend to be a fulltime Professional sport or can make massive changes and redevelop and medium term have a positive future for all not just a select few. The RFL has to try and unify the various factions. It also has to find a way to help keep if not increase the number of Development Officers it has. The amateur game outside the heartlands in particular NEEDS them to progress. Currently I have no faith in SL due to some of the short term thinking and decisions being made and the fact that clubs have not learnt any lessons since 1996. We still have most clubs throwing too much money away on players. I dont like Leeds and never have. But praise to them for how they are doing things- Building new stands, supporting the development of the game in the city etc and often promoting from within the academy. I would like to see other clubs do the same by supporting the development of the game in their area more. By spending money on better facilities both at stadiums and training for example . Better facilities and the aim in 2015 or 2016 in returing back to U18 & U20s/Reserves. Sadly I cant see that happening and I cant see the RFL doing much under Wood and Rimmer who for me just look clueless and have no idea of where they aim to take the game and how they can help the International Scene, The amateur game, Student game etc and how all the various areas can work in harmony with one another and the game as a whole can progress