Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

If only Super League could do the same

34 posts in this topic

Very fair comment LRL. I'm sure we all want RL to do well at the end of the day.

LRL: reasonable points. But how come all the failings of the games previous 100 years are laid at the door of todays game? Why weren't they doing all this 50-60 years ago? Why didn't they learn when clubs like Manningham turned to soccer? I aren't disagreeing with you that much but its a bit much to expect today's game to sort out historical failings - especially in today's sporting environment.

The threat from soccer in the early 1900,s when Manningham flew the coop was certainly recognised and three things were done to hold back the tide. Firstly the game was radically altered to make it much more attractive to the spectator by the introduction of the play the ball and the reduction to 13 a side. Secondly, it was recognised that the game could not support full time professionalism and the rules supporting semi pro and anti full time pro were strengthened. Thirdly, it was recognised that there needed to a more dynamic and appealing face to the game than the constant revolving domestic fixtures and luckily for us, Baskerville wrote with his ideas for the All Golds tour and the NRU strongly supported it and the game was stabilised as a result of all those things being done.

The reason the recent failings can be attributed to the SL era, in my opinion, is that the full time professional league was a completely new concept for RL and it is the failure to properly implement a self sustaining, full time professional league, from the monies available, which as resulted in the present crisis afflicting the game in the UK.

Hang on, if it was a completely new concept for RL, then its surely possible that not everything was done as well as it could have been?

Hang on, if it was a completely new concept for RL, then its surely possible that not everything was done as well as it could have been?

I thought that was what I was saying.

I thought that was what I was saying.

You were just saying we are plumbing new depths and criticising people. You made no allowance for the fact everyone was new to full time sport and everything wasn't instantly A1.

You were just saying we are plumbing new depths and criticising people. You made no allowance for the fact everyone was new to full time sport and everything wasn't instantly A1.

Well the two statements are not mutually exclusive. The fact that everything was not done as well as it could be has resulted, after 17 years, in SL plumbing new depths. The contrast was with the NRL where, equally, full time professionalism was a new phenomenen but the game in Australia has gone from strength to strength. I fully agree they have no premier league soccer to contend with but still the results achieved by each league SL and NRL are polar opposites.

Same with the rhinos I notice when Leeds utd are doing badly the rhinos crowds improve and etc. But in Australia there isn't another sport as big as football to compete with it.

Can you provide some statistics to back that up please as it's not a correlation I recognise. The Rugby League club's crowds have gone up proportionately in line with success and in line with the more general growth of Super League crowds since 1996.

This whole thread appears to be another example of some fans apparently being surprised that British Rugby league is a battling regional sport. Did they not notice that in the past 117 years?

wad.jpg

Total spectators 2011 season

Australian Football League.............7,139,272

National Rugby League................. 3,465,851

A-League...................................... 1,536,231

millionaires are attracted to the game I.e Russell Crowe.

i.e. one millionaire. How many do we have? two at least I reckon.

wad.jpg

Total spectators 2011 season

Australian Football League.............7,139,272

National Rugby League................. 3,465,851

A-League...................................... 1,536,231

millionaires are attracted to the game I.e Russell Crowe.

i.e. one millionaire. How many do we have? two at least I reckon.

Are you saying that the NRL clubs only have one Millionaire backing/being involved at a club, that being Russell Crowe?