Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fredm

Rule changes for Boxing Day

37 posts in this topic

the one rule i would like to see enforced is playing the ball with the foot,at present the rule says the player must make an attempt to play the ball with the foot but the player is the only one who knows whether he has actually tried to play the ball with his foot or not and more often it is not,most players just wave their foot in the general direction of the ball with no intention of touching it with their foot,if refs penalised this like they used to it would soon make players play the ball properly.

the one rule i would like to see enforced is playing the ball with the foot,at present the rule says the player must make an attempt to play the ball with the foot but the player is the only one who knows whether he has actually tried to play the ball with his foot or not and more often it is not,most players just wave their foot in the general direction of the ball with no intention of touching it with their foot,if refs penalised this like they used to it would soon make players play the ball properly.

I believe it now says "attempt to play the ball with the foot" which refs find acceptable, sometimes to the frustration of the fans.

Playing the ball after the tackle is a complete lottery. Not playing the ball properly seems to have developed from SL's "turn a blind eye if it speeds up the game" attitude. Personally I think we might just as well dispense with the rule and allow players to just shunt it back - at least then we wouldn't have the situation arising where one ref's incorrect play the ball is anothers intereference, with the penalty going to either side at the whim of the man in the middle. Would also scrap the "standing square at the marker rule" - I don't like a rule designed to earn a side a cheap penalty. I doubt there would be much need for rule change if the existing ones were applied correctly and consistently.

Playing the ball after the tackle is a complete lottery. Not playing the ball properly seems to have developed from SL's "turn a blind eye if it speeds up the game" attitude. Personally I think we might just as well dispense with the rule and allow players to just shunt it back - at least then we wouldn't have the situation arising where one ref's incorrect play the ball is anothers intereference, with the penalty going to either side at the whim of the man in the middle. Would also scrap the "standing square at the marker rule" - I don't like a rule designed to earn a side a cheap penalty. I doubt there would be much need for rule change if the existing ones were applied correctly and consistently.

I disagree with your latter suggestion GOR - it would simply result in two markers standing either side of the PTB removing any opportunity for a dummy half scamper.

Which famous RL coach said "If a player isn't cheating, he's not trying hard enough"?

Jack Gibson maybe?

I think it's about time they brought back the, "standing square at the play of the ball" rule. It appears that if the second marker is at least touching the marker then ha can stand pretty much where he wants.

I disagree with your latter suggestion GOR - it would simply result in two markers standing either side of the PTB removing any opportunity for a dummy half scamper.

Which famous RL coach said "If a player isn't cheating, he's not trying hard enough"?

Jack Gibson maybe?

And of course, if we were deprived of the dummy half scamper, the SL players would have to think of something else to do with their first five tackles, and that would never do. ;)

And of course, if we were deprived of the dummy half scamper, the SL players would have to think of something else to do with their first five tackles, and that would never do. ;)

Ha, that's easy! Bring back the rule that penalises the dummy half if he's tackled in possession of the football.

Next!!

;)

Ha, that's easy! Bring back the rule that penalises the dummy half if he's tackled in possession of the football.

Next!!

;)

Where the hell did you get that one from ? :O:)

BSJ

It was not penalty but scrum head and feed to defending side

To be penalised is not the same as conceding a penalty.

HTH

B)

Where the hell did you get that one from ? :O:)

The days of unlimited tackles GOR, to ensure that the team in possession passed at least once after the PTB rather than just running with the ball up the jumper from dummy half.

So players dont take up the sport knowing theres a likelyhood of injury, i know no one myself included wants to see anyone seriously injured and if this means a slight change in rules etc, etc then so be it but lets not pretend we have a scrum, we either have competitive scrums or we dont have scrums at all, currently it spoils the game.

GOOD SHOUT!!Can you get a a job at the RFL please..