Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HappyDave

New 'Experimental Laws' to be trialled by the RFL

61 posts in this topic

Have to agree the scrum change was a waste of time.

Both teams Keighley and Halifax. Both passed the ball through everyone's legs. So it came straight out the back of the scrum. The player putting it in ran to the back of the scrum and picked it up.

i think it was meant to give the attacking team an extra man in the loose but until teams decide how to take advantage of it then we wont see much change.

i would favour worked moves such as extra man on the blind side which would either create a space there or force the defending team to push another man across creating a overlap on the open side for the attacking team which could be exploited by either quick hands or a good kick

as for the charge down rule there were in fact 2 charge downs the one you refer to was in the second half and did indeed go into touch but there was one about halfway into the first half by the norh stand that was charged down on the 5th tackle and regatherd by wakey who then had to hand the ball over . i think its a good rule as it will give reward for a charge down which is often under valued

Yeah, sorry, forgot about that one. Both of them were inconclusive as regards the new rule. Like i said needs a bit more time.

Merry Christmas!

Makes no soddin' difference really. The refs will follow the letter of the law (rules) for so long; at the expense of other rules; and then forget about 'em - only pulling up the odd infringement to show willing. Much the same as now - it just means there'll be a few more rules to remember and confuse everyone.

We had two charge downs yesterday as mentioned, but one of the things that I found interesting was that there was a slight discrepency in how the rule applies. The first one worked perfectly, Wakefield kicked it on 5th, charged down by Leeds, Wakey dived on the ball and were then tackled, turnover to Leeds.

The second one, Leeds kicked it, Wakefield charged it down but the ball bounced into touch so Leeds got the scrum. Whilst this is correct as Wakey deliberately played at the ball, it just seemed unfair that Leeds got the scrum. If a charge down doesnt restart the tackle count if the ball stays in the field, maybe it should be Wakefields scrum if they've charged it down and it went in touch.

For me, that rule is there to reward good defence and getting to the ball before its kicked. If a kicker cant get his kick away before being charged down then he didnt give himself enough space etc so in my view its a poor kick.

We had two charge downs yesterday as mentioned, but one of the things that I found interesting was that there was a slight discrepency in how the rule applies. The first one worked perfectly, Wakefield kicked it on 5th, charged down by Leeds, Wakey dived on the ball and were then tackled, turnover to Leeds.

The second one, Leeds kicked it, Wakefield charged it down but the ball bounced into touch so Leeds got the scrum. Whilst this is correct as Wakey deliberately played at the ball, it just seemed unfair that Leeds got the scrum. If a charge down doesnt restart the tackle count if the ball stays in the field, maybe it should be Wakefields scrum if they've charged it down and it went in touch.

For me, that rule is there to reward good defence and getting to the ball before its kicked. If a kicker cant get his kick away before being charged down then he didnt give himself enough space etc so in my view its a poor kick.

you have a point but the ball went directly out of play without touching the field of play so i would suspect that would be in line with a kick going directly into touch which is ball back and scrum to the none offending team

Agreed. A law that benefits the defence makes a nice change.

Makes no soddin' difference really. The refs will follow the letter of the law (rules) for so long; at the expense of other rules; and then forget about 'em - only pulling up the odd infringement to show willing. Much the same as now - it just means there'll be a few more rules to remember and confuse everyone.

I'll agree with you on this, many new rules just make a simple game more technical, but if they changed the PTB to simply rolling the ball between the legs (which is in fact what happens) we would be crying sacrilege.

Credit to the RFL though for trialling these rule changes and getting feedback, rather than just implement a hugely contraversial change, a la ARLC

These new laws that were trialled are they going to be included in our game for the upcoming season? Or 1 or 2 of the 3 rules?.

Had a charge down at Batley vs Dews as well. Personally think that ones a great rule and removes issue of a great effort on a charge down being nullified by tackle going to zero.

Had a charge down at Batley vs Dews as well. Personally think that ones a great rule and removes issue of a great effort on a charge down being nullified by tackle going to zero.

Have to agree, this one should stay. Ive often thought previously that there was almost no point in attempting a charge down as the most likely outcome is 6 more tackles to the team kicking. So this will reward good defence.

As this would likely increase the number of attempted charge downs, the RFL would need to make sure they clamp down on late challenges on the kicker. It should be a charge down of the ball and not a late tackle.