Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Town Globetrotter

Cumbria v England: World Cup warm-up match

6 posts in this topic

Received some world cup final tickets today as a Christmas present and I was thinking that we should be hosting a world cup warm-up game between Cumbria and England at Derwent Park in October. The benefits include:

- competitive warm up game for England prior to playing Australia in Cardiff on Oct 26th

- opportunity for the ground staff and local authorities to test their plans, logistics and processes for holding an international match with a large crowd

- increases local awareness and interest in the world cup

- great boost and reward for Cumbrian rugby league

- end of season incentive to Cumbrian players in Super League, Championships and NCL leagues

For me this is a no brainer, if England can fit the match into their preparation schedule. Lastly if England can't...would Italy or France fancy playing us?

It's certainly something that should be seriously considered. I'm not so sure it would fit in to England's schedule but certainly one of the lesser countries and most likely Scotland who will be playing two games at Derwent Park.

The international warm up to test everything out is a spot on idea ... Cumbria v Scotland would be first in my mind. By the way , keep reading teams putting out their squad numbers list and I wonder when we have to name ours ?

Don't think England would want to play us again.

They were lucky to get out of the Wreck with a draw at Garry's match.

I think the RFL were loathe to give town the world cup games and only did so because an almighty cock up down the road. I wouldn't be surprised if they directed and WC warm up down the road so we may have to be careful what we wish for....

Excellent posting from Town Globetrotter. Town and Cumbrian rugby league need to explore every avenue to elivate their standing in the game.