Football

They did it again!

3 o'clock news;

And we start with some breaking news, in the last few minutes... *turns radio up listens in intently.* it has been announced.. *lean in* that David Beckham has retired from football.

F*ck off!

Beckham is an excellent role model for many.he's not as gormless as he sounds and from a very modest background has through dint of hard work and dedication, made something. Need more like him.

Anyway, Mancini can live off his Pink Panther royalties

Edited by JohnM

Not exactly a Beckham fan as such but give the guy his due, he's worked hard to achieve anything he has. A good ambassador too, don't expect he'll be down the social tho...

He also seemed to cope well with both extremes of fan reactions. 

One side from getting extreme fan abuse, including death threats and fans chanting hoping his wife and kid died from AIDS.  Even the Mirror printed a dartboard picture of his face.

The other side of being deified by exactly the same newspapers and journalists who were the abuse cheerleaders.  It was the Jonny Wilkinson treatment but on a far grander scale.

I was just surprised he stayed in Britain for as long as he did.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The other side of being deified by exactly the same newspapers and journalists who were the abuse cheerleaders.  It was the Jonny Wilkinson treatment but on a far grander scale.

Jonny Wilkinson got abuse from the media? I must've missed that! :O

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jonny Wilkinson got abuse from the media? I must've missed that! :O

The deified part ;)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Not exactly a Beckham fan as such but give the guy his due, he's worked hard to achieve anything he has. A good ambassador too, don't expect he'll be down the social tho...

He (plus family) was in the pie and mash shop down the road from where I work the other day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any joy getting a ticket for tomorrow Jon?

I don't have the funds and now have a family visit and so didn't try.  I'll be watching through my fingers on Sky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't have the funds and now have a family visit and so didn't try.  I'll be watching through my fingers on Sky.

Boxing gloves may be a more practical option.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just back from Majorca where I had a holiday, with just my 4yo daughter as the other half couldn't be bothered taking the time off, and we passed Real Mallorca's ground on the way to a dolphin park, the tour guide said theey had designed the new stadium to be oval shaped, but ran out of money during building and have had to leave the ends open.

When I got back to Alcudia, I noticed one of the tour operaters were running a trip for today (Monday) to see the just Relegated RCD Mallorca play Real Betis for 80Euro including a beer, tickets & transport. This reminded me of an article in one of the papers (probably the Guardian) of some football fans who live in the UK, but have season tickets at Ajax, and with cheap flights it's cheaper to watch European football than watching English Premiership.

I would also like to comment on the WBA v Man U game as my 4yo does - BONKERS!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Brendan Rodgers is now the 5th longest-serving manager in the Premier League, having been in charge for 11 (eleven) months. Yes, months.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Manchester City and the New York Yankees create New York City FC - the 20th MLS franchise.

Stoke finish high up again and get shut of Pulis. Saunders sacked after being given mission impossible. Mancini, Atkins and Mcdermott victims of their own success. Got to love football. If Bradford City struggle next year in league 1 I hope the board stick with him.

I think the cash spent by Pulis ultimatley was his downfall, seemed to spend a lot on players who didn't achieve any more than those they replaced.

By a total culture shock if Martinez ends up there!  Given the press was reporting this morning he had 48 hours to decide on the job and are now reporting he's promised Whelan an answer on his future by noon tomorrow.

Stoke finish high up again and get shut of Pulis. Saunders sacked after being given mission impossible. Mancini, Atkins and Mcdermott victims of their own success. Got to love football. If Bradford City struggle next year in league 1 I hope the board stick with him.

I'm a fairweather Bantam but I think Parkinson has a season of grace minimum.