Bleep1673

Football

1,773 posts in this topic

Yes, it's part of life. Sports people may face particular kinds of pressures associated with injuries, fears about the future, the pressures of competition, success and failure etc but they also experience the same life events that affect other people before, during and after their sporting careers. Paul Whatuira's experience being an example of the impact of events that happened when he was a child, which had an impact as an adult while he was playing as a professional RL player.

That is an excellent point

And as you say Paul's story exemplifies it

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else

They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different

Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative

Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference

Chris W

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else

They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different

Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative

Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference

Chris W

not necessarily

Chris W

not necessarily

I'd be interested in your thoughts

I'd be interested in your thoughts

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

well grief can generate feelings of guilt and inadequacy which are associated with depression

being very sad over something bad that has happend is not depression

but is still a major personal issue

depression revolves around a catastrophically negative self image

associated with overhwelming feelings of guilt, inadequacy, uselessness,shame,  worthlessness, unworthiness and so on

it is absolutely imperative to get help and support from outside

Surprised to see the news that Marlon King has been arrested again!

Surprised to see the news that Marlon King has been arrested again!

Marlon King-he's no prince!

IIRC, King has been convicted for a driving offence previously. Given his record with other convictions and prison sentences, the implications for him are serious if he is found guilty of an offence of failing to stop, or whatever the legal definition is...

Obviously the important matter is the health of the chap who was injured in the hit and run.

Coventry City to be liquidated apparently

Coventry City to be liquidated apparently

One of the Coventry City companies...apparently the structure is somewhat complicated.

One of the Coventry City companies...apparently the structure is somewhat complicated.

It was explained to me a while ago. Bent as a nine bob note.

It was explained to me a while ago. Bent as a nine bob note.

Allegedly.

The absence of notes does appear to be an issue.

There is a team in the Polish Football league called Podbeskidzie Bielsko-Biala, I hope they never play an English side & Ray French is chosen to commentate!

The 3 rows in front of him would need a towel & a warm shower

James Alexander Gordon's replacement as reader of the Football scores? It's Charlotte Green!

James Alexander Gordon's replacement as reader of the Football scores? It's Charlotte Green!

My word! Lord Reith and the guy who started Sports Report (Angus somebody?) will be spinning in their graves!

Oh well. There's always the FA Cup for the Bradford City fans.

The FA Cup starts on August 16th.  Worksop Parramore vs AFC Blackpool is the first listed fixture in the Extra Preliminary Round.

The FA Cup starts on August 16th.  Worksop Parramore vs AFC Blackpool is the first listed fixture in the Extra Preliminary Round.

I'm off to AFC Emley v Wigan Robin Park on the 18th in the Extra Preliminery Round, moved from Saturday the 17th due to a clash with Emley Cricket Club, unknown at this stage if it was shared facilities or playing resources that caused the issue!

Watched Mainz 05 vs VFB Stuttgart and FC Schalke 04 vs SV Hamburg on BT Sports. The Bundesliga is great! First time since the 90's I've enjoyed a football match (well 2 actually) that didn't involve either Swindon Town or my lad.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

Watched Mainz 05 vs VFB Stuttgart and FC Schalke 04 vs SV Hamburg on BT Sports. The Bundesliga is great! First time since the 90's I've enjoyed a football match (well 2 actually) that didn't involve either Swindon Town or my lad.

I've been a very casual Werder Bremen fan since I went there on a German exchange and the boys in green did the decent thing and won the Cup-Winners Cup - so it was nice to be flicking between the channels on the weekend just in time to see them score a rather splendid goal against the run of play against Braunshweig.

Also on Saturday for the first time in a very long time I actually made it to a game and stayed for the whole time.  Chalfont Wasps kicked off their Hellenic League season against Maidenhead United Reserves.  One of those games that came close to having pretty much everything - although two late goals made it look easier than it was.  Maidenhead winning 3-1.

Here's a photie:

9486774663_a22b71cfa4_z.jpg

The rest are here.

The FA's new "respect" campaign.  Very good :D

I think that referees in all sports should be given teddy bears to hand out to players who lose theirs on the field.

I followed a  bus in Leeds today with a poster on the back that read "let's forget about the past and be United"  it also had the LUFC logo on it. Presumably someone somewhere feels they need to apologise!

Don't usually watch a lot of football but I really enjoyed to others friendly against Scotland. Bit more niggle than most friendlies.

Don't usually watch a lot of football but I really enjoyed to others friendly against Scotland. Bit more niggle than most friendlies.

The good thing was that the ref was far more tolerant than a non-UK ref usually is.  He clearly did his research and understood that the game would have more bite than the typical international friendly.

Quite enjoyable for a football match...