The new season begins.  

What??? Its only bleeding August, whatever happened to a football season from September to end of April.  At least it gave the people who have no interest in football a bit of a break.

What??? Its only bleeding August, whatever happened to a football season from September to end of April.  At least it gave the people who have no interest in football a bit of a break.

Season ends on 30 May with the FA Cup final.

I see Manchester Untied have started the season the way they mean to go on, which is refreshing.

I wonder if anyone will be apologising to Vincent Tan after all the abuse he received?

I don't see why they should.  He was a monstrous ######.  That the person he was a ###### to was also a ###### ...  well, that's hardly surprising either.

England women toast Wales (played 8 won 8 against them now) to qualify for the World Cup in Canada.  Such a turnaround from Hope Powell's days.  Agree with the BBC commentary though - it's very hard for England to know how good they are given they've had such an easy group but they are certainly a much more coherent outfit than in the last European Championships.

The Beast is back! Mario signs for Liverpool!

They had to bring their nutjob striker quotient back up after losing Suarez.

Wales can still qualify

They can but I'd say they were unlikely.

And, given that England are unlikely to progress far next year, would get absolutely trounced if they do it make it to Canada.

It's a shame for women's football that the FAs in the UK like to put up the barriers.  Glasgow City tried to join the FA WSL and a team in Wales would do wonders for them as well.

This guy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17593237 - is currently being interviewed on the Danny Baker Show on Radio 5. Quite a life story!

When it gets on the iPlayer, the interview starts half way through the show (10am). Definitely worth a listen. Edit: there's already a World Service interview with him on iPlayer, linked at the bottom of the BBC page in this post.

Edited by Futtocks

This guy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17593237 - is currently being interviewed on the Danny Baker Show on Radio 5. Quite a life story!

When it gets on the iPlayer, the interview starts half way through the show (10am). Definitely worth a listen. Edit: there's already a World Service interview with him on iPlayer, linked at the bottom of the BBC page in this post.

I downloaded his book as a Kindle. Blimey, this is entertaining - every time life suggested an opportunity, he dived in head first. Really entertaining, funny stuff and totally recommended. :) 

I downloaded his book as a Kindle. Blimey, this is entertaining - every time life suggested an opportunity, he dived in head first. Really entertaining, funny stuff and totally recommended. :)

Just finished the book (Lutz Pfannenstiel - The Unstoppable Keeper). I've never read a football autobiography or biography before, and I suspect that any I read after this would be a huge let-down. Very funny, occasionally harrowing, always interesting. Recommended.

Good game (well, last 10 minutes). Pity about the result on Tuesday night meaning Bradford have to play MK Dons rather than the easier passage to the next round of Man United.

Good game (well, last 10 minutes). Pity about the result on Tuesday night meaning Bradford have to play MK Dons rather than the easier passage to the next round of Man United.

Some quite ugly reports going round about crowd violence - in particular the expected thugs from Leeds* getting grumpy and attacking spectators in the disabled area, which actually included Leeds fans.

(* Yes, yes, I know, not all Leeds United fans are thugs but games like this will bring out the moron element amongst the 'support').

Some quite ugly reports going round about crowd violence - in particular the expected thugs from Leeds* getting grumpy and attacking spectators in the disabled area, which actually included Leeds fans.

I actually stopped watching the game because of the vile chanting that I assume was generated by both sets of fans. Some people probably took their young kids to that game.