Bleep1673

Football

1,739 posts in this topic

835 million quid spent in the transfer window by Premier league sides.

No wonder my Sky subscription is so chuffing high.

Actually, I do wonder about the economics of this. Foreign owners fund foreign players and clubs via the medium of an English football club. Does any of the money go through our tax system?

Actually, I do wonder about the economics of this. Foreign owners fund foreign players and clubs via the medium of an English football club. Does any of the money go through our tax system?

There is potential for it to be a racket. Agents and clubs can make the transfers overseas, where money can go "missing". Obviously, our own owners, managers and agents would never get involved in such an underhand practice.

;)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/366403/Barcelona-charged-with-tax-fraud-over-Neymar-big-money-move

It is not entirely clear what the total size of the Premier League economy is, but its income tax and national insurance contribution alone is thought to be worth more than £1.3 billion per year to the British government.

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-much-is-the-premier-league-worth-29863

Its worth pointing out that its not really £835m spent. If I give you £20, and you give someone else £18 from the 20 I gave you, we haven't spent £38. You've just gone on to spend a percentage of what I gave you. The transfer system is similar. Its a few clubs spending big and the others recycling that money within the system.    

Some serious money been spent, as a Wigan fan, pleased with how we've gone about our business, we seem to have more than balanced the books and improved the squad.

Shame we couldn't find someone to panick buy Grant Holt, but you can't have everything!

Got an email from Bradford Park Avenue and this Saturday is non league day apparently. The sponsors of the league are donating money to Prostate cancer and if they get an aggregate attendance of over 50k a lot more.

Got an email from Bradford Park Avenue and this Saturday is non league day apparently. The sponsors of the league are donating money to Prostate cancer and if they get an aggregate attendance of over 50k a lot more.

Non-League day is a cracking initiative always co-insides with an international break, be another bumper weekend for clubs down the leagues as they attract plenty of groundhoppers looking for a fix!

Well, that was interesting! But enough about 'Great British Bake Off', I am now watching England v Norway and it is thin gruel indeed. Now switching to BBC4.

Sepp Blatter will stand for re-election after all. What a surprise! :rolleyes: 

There's no guarantee that Michel Platini would be any straighter than Blatter.

Frank Riberi has retired from international football. However, Platini says he will suspend him for three games if he doesn't turn up for France's next fixture.

I think recourse to our dear friends the Human Rights lawyers might be in order. Shami and Cherie are no doubt  awaiting his call.

There's no guarantee that Michel Platini would be any straighter than Blatter.

Frank Riberi has retired from international football. However, Platini says he will suspend him for three games if he doesn't turn up for France's next fixture.

I think recourse to our dear friends the Human Rights lawyers might be in order. Shami and Cherie are no doubt  awaiting his call.

Is Ribery's court case for that underage prostitute business still ongoing? He could end up missing more than three games,

Shame about Platini. Great player turned hopeless administrator.

Not sure if this has slipped under the radar a bit but it seems Hull City's Chairman Ass eem Allam isn't quite the generous benefactor to the Tigers he first appeared to be.

This story is in today's paper and in the comments section, there are a few suggesting the £100 million plus he's "given" to the football club is in fact a loan and he's charging appropriate interest.

Have these few people got it wrong or have the public of Hull been had with tales of the man's generosity?

Not sure if this has slipped under the radar a bit but it seems Hull City's Chairman Ass eem Allam isn't quite the generous benefactor to the Tigers he first appeared to be.

This story is in today's paper and in the comments section, there are a few suggesting the £100 million plus he's "given" to the football club is in fact a loan and he's charging appropriate interest.

Have these few people got it wrong or have the public of Hull been had with tales of the man's generosity?

The money Allam has put in is definitely in the form of a loan, mate. I remember reading somewhere that it's shown as such in the club's last set of accounts. I don't know the interest rate he's paying himself but you can guarantee it will be a little better than the local building society. I'm sure he could get an even better return if he invested it but that's not the point. He's not quite the generous philanthropist he likes to be portrayed as.

Manchester United extend winning streak to 1.

I saw a programme on ITV4 this morning, Big Game Revisited I think. It was Arsenal v Notts Forest with Brian Moore from January 14 1979 (my 13th birthday!) There was also an interview with Malcolm Alison who had just been made manager of Man City and was promising to bring back the good times to Maine Rd.

To say football is different world today would be an understatement. I used to love it then.

I saw a programme on ITV4 this morning, Big Game Revisited I think. It was Arsenal v Notts Forest with Brian Moore from January 14 1979 (my 13th birthday!) There was also an interview with Malcolm Alison who had just been made manager of Man City and was promising to bring back the good times to Maine Rd.

To say football is different world today would be an understatement. I used to love it then.

I wish they had some clips from Granada's version of The Big Match. Gerald Sinstadt was a fine commentator. Eventually, we had to put up with the inferior product from YTV.

When I was a teenager supporting Cardiff, our  grudge matches weren't against Swansea (they were usually in the Third Division) but our big rivals Bristol City.

Tonight on Sky, it's the West Country derby ... Bristol City v Cheltenham !!

I almost feel sorry for the Robins ... not.

B)

When I was a teenager supporting Cardiff, our  grudge matches weren't against Swansea (they were usually in the Third Division) but our big rivals Bristol City.

Tonight on Sky, it's the West Country derby ... Bristol City v Cheltenham !!

I almost feel sorry for the Robins ... not.

B)

Everyone will feel sorry for Cardiff when they stop laughing at the redbirds.

Platini is a very grim administrator.  Very much in the Blatter mould.

But, in more positive French football news, I went to a match there.

Underneath those curly locks was a grim footballer too. A weird individual.

I see being paid tens of thousands of pounds a week is proving a bit soporific for England's teenage soccer players. A player called Raheem Sterling, who I have never heard of, is "too tired" to play for his country. When a 100 or so Rugby League players are preparing to play in an international series after 8 months knocking bits of each other this little prima donna cannot summon up the energy to play 90 minutes of Wendyball after only a couple of months of tip tapping a soccer ball around in what amounts to a non-contact sport these days. Don't ya just love soccer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29596723

It must be Saturday evening; Leeds United have sacked another manager. :P 

It must be Saturday evening; Leeds United have sacked another manager. :P

it's not a bad gig really.

You don't have to be any good, but you get a good wedge for coming and another good wedge when you get the sack a few weeks later. I love it