Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grumpyoldram

Stand-offs and quick players

65 posts in this topic

maybe no one knew who he was. was he wearing white ?

Obviously not stand out then. Reason I ask was because he was described as "former wakefield flyer" somewhere - but I believe he has had a knee reconstruction in the not too distant past, and wondered whether he was at full pace.

Obviously not stand out then. Reason I ask was because he was described as "former wakefield flyer" somewhere - but I believe he has had a knee reconstruction in the not too distant past, and wondered whether he was at full pace.

Nobody "flew" on Boxing day GOR; it wasn't that kind of game nor was the surface conducive. So it would be unfair to reach any kind of judgement on Morton from this game (except he doesn't kick as well as the long-lamented Patch).

Nobody "flew" on Boxing day GOR; it wasn't that kind of game nor was the surface conducive. So it would be unfair to reach any kind of judgement on Morton from this game (except he doesn't kick as well as the long-lamented Patch).

Don't worry BSJ - once aston realises his new half back combo are sending them towards relegation (4 - 5 weeks ?) patch will be available on loan. :O:lol:

......the word pace has no association whatsoever with Jymel Coleman

nor does 'conversion kicker'

Andrew Ramsden had a fair turn of pace, John Hegarty was quite nippy and Johnny Moore could go from one touchline to the other faster than any other wing man I've seen.

Wasn't that Rombo fellow fairly pacey too?

Brilliant memory BSJ. That Johnny Moore, boy he was good at running 50 metres and not gaining a yard. Surely Eddie Rombo has to be as fast as most of us have seen? Even if he wasn't he scored some of the best tries. Dennis Bailey was quick once he got going. His legs were that long it took him 20 yards to get into his stride.

Before Handforth turned up, we struggled a bit for a stand-off. In fact the last decent one was Mark Barlow, who for a short while was outstanding in tandem with Paul Mennell when he first arrived.

A VERY short while. Maybe three games at the most.

......the word pace has no association whatsoever with Jymel Coleman

You could be a bit wrong with that statement, try putting an eighth of an inch of Colemans Mustard on your Ham Sandwich, take a bite and see how quick you move!!!!!!!

I think pace is the one attribute in the game that cannot be taught. Coleman is undoubtedly a fine player. I have always thought this from the first time I saw him, and have seen nothing to change my mind since. However, he does not have natural pace, and I suspect never will have, rather making up for this with speed of thought.

Fair does.

Aye, and mitta, arrowsmith, bramald and james craven, and I remember a prop in the sixties called coates who could shift a bit for a beer monster as well, but they weren't halfbacks - which leaves my original observation undented. Incidentally, nobody has told me how fast morton looked yet. :O

I remember Richard Arrowsmith running the length of the field near the touch-line. That lad was quick!

Aye, and mitta, arrowsmith, bramald and james craven, and I remember a prop in the sixties called coates who could shift a bit for a beer monster as well, but they weren't halfbacks - which leaves my original observation undented. Incidentally, nobody has told me how fast morton looked yet. :O

Bryn Powell, Guy Coombes (however quick his defence was very poor), Mark Conway, Shaun Austerfield, Matt Bramald, Davide Longo, Richard Pachniuk, Dennis Bailey, Jason Osbourne, Kane Epati.

Bryn Powell, Guy Coombes (however quick his defence was very poor), Mark Conway, Shaun Austerfield, Matt Bramald, Davide Longo, Richard Pachniuk, Dennis Bailey, Jason Osbourne, Kane Epati.

Others have mentioned Osbourne before, but I don't ever recall him play first team - wasn't there some kind of problem ?

I remember Richard Arrowsmith running the length of the field near the touch-line. That lad was quick!

Baker and Godfrey from the champs.

Others have mentioned Osbourne before, but I don't ever recall him play first team - wasn't there some kind of problem ?

Jason Osbourne played in the 2nd team. Never understood how he never made it into the first team as he was lightning fast!

Hmm,! This is getting a bit like "the older I get the quicker they were". Some of the players mentioned were admittedly nippy but not fast, as GOR's original contention says. I can't really see Pachniuk, Baker, Godfrey etc. making a length of the filed dash successfully in pursued by a fast winger. But maybe my memory works the wrong way around and they all get slower as i get older? :lol:

Jason Osbourne played in the 2nd team. Never understood how he never made it into the first team as he was lightning fast!

Catching, passing, tackling maybe?

Catching, passing, tackling maybe?

So how come Akaidere gets into the first team? I haven't seen any evidence of this!

Hmm,! This is getting a bit like "the older I get the quicker they were". Some of the players mentioned were admittedly nippy but not fast, as GOR's original contention says. I can't really see Pachniuk, Baker, Godfrey etc. making a length of the filed dash successfully in pursued by a fast winger. But maybe my memory works the wrong way around and they all get slower as i get older? :lol:

Well my memory sometimes can be selective - for instance I often forget about patch's brilliant kicking game, turn of pace and eye for an opening, but I would reckon Godfrey would have been quicker than anybody we have now, quicker than most mentioned and not far off being as quick as Brynn. Baker usually got the nod over him (including in the final), presumably because his defence wasn't the best.

Has anybody so far has mentioned Adrian Flynn? Scored a try away at Workington and the worky fan next to us turned to his son and said "that's a proper winger that is".

I suppose GOR and myself are of a similar era.

I have always thought Mick Shoebottom was always the most gifted and talented stand off I ever saw.

McGuire is very similar in his play but in my opinion is not as creative or quick.

Unfortunately ,Shoebottom was one of the dirtiest players I ever saw.

I always found it ironic that his career was ended by a particularly nasty tackle from Colin Dixon

If that tackle happened with todays technology it would be a big hit on U tube

I suppose GOR and myself are of a similar era.

I have always thought Mick Shoebottom was always the most gifted and talented stand off I ever saw.

McGuire is very similar in his play but in my opinion is not as creative or quick.

Unfortunately ,Shoebottom was one of the dirtiest players I ever saw.

I always found it ironic that his career was ended by a particularly nasty tackle from Colin Dixon

If that tackle happened with todays technology it would be a big hit on U tube

Always a tie between him and hardisty for me, but like you say, shoey was nasty. What about roger the dodger - forgot about him.

I agree,Hardisty was special but I think of him more as a partnership with Hepworth.Not quite so effective on his own.

Roger Millward was also very good.If I remember correctly,his career was ended in a 2nd team game at the Mount when somebody bundled him into the railings.

Wally Lewis was head and shoulders above the rest IMHO.

Who was the best (genuine) stand off that Dewsbury have had? History would say Vic Hey but there can't be many around now who can remember him playing.

Wally Lewis was head and shoulders above the rest IMHO.

Who was the best (genuine) stand off that Dewsbury have had? History would say Vic Hey but there can't be many around now who can remember him playing.

Oh well - if you are going down under I'd say it would be a tight call between lewis,johns and lockyer.

If we actually played him at stand off before he went to bradford (and I can't remember if we did), I'd say nigel was the best that I can recall - certainly the only one that could beat a man.

The player that showed the most devasting pace in a one off situation BIG JIM NAYLOR. Cental Park Friday night, foggy as owt gods side.About 30 die hards at most.Late on Newall ball in hand and other players stop waiting for a foreward pass ref didnt blow Big Jim snatches ball and runs like a juggernaught to the line.We won score 20 16 ish.Now the argument is that Big Jim claims it was 40yds ozzy says 10 from memory id say 20 to 25.Great win though one from the archives.