Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grumpyoldram

Stand-offs and quick players

65 posts in this topic

on his way to the bookies.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Going back into the mists of time...

The, aready mentioned, Geoff Yoward was as fast as anyone I ever saw in red,amber and black. He (at least once) competed in the Powderhall sprint. Didn't get selected as often as he should have been.

I also remember Mick Stephenson scoring an 80 yard try up the Crown Flatt slope - and he had a number 9 on his back, when hookers actually had to be hookers.

We once had a stand off called Ormonroyd who, in my recollection, was no slouch, and back when Roy Pollard (pretty quick) was scoring tries on one wing, there was often a guy called Hemingway on the other. A bit of a fancy Dan with Brylcream Superfix ensuring his quiff was immovable, but whenever he got the ball the stamping on the stand boarding was deafening (similar to when Eddie Rombo got the ball in more recent times).

Other than those, and others already mentioned, Dewsbury wingers have tended to be steamrollers a la Jack Austin, and before him Gordon Waring who really knew his way to the tryline.

Pace isn't everything, but it does often make up for a lot of other shortcomings (see Martin Offiah for instance).

There's nothing to beat watching a player such as Jason Robinson get hold of the ball in a bit of space, and the accompanying anticipation that you're about to see something special.

Lewis Jones was the most all-round talented stand off I saw (with the RU kicking game developed in the Valleys). However I remember once standing next to a Leeds' fan who was complaining bitterly that he wouldn't tackle (he'd obviously never seen Danny Cipriani when making that assessment). In fact for many years I regarded him as the best-ever RL player. That changed when Ellery Hanley was in his prime. Nowadays, the guy I like to watch is Benjy Marshall, he just has that bit of "magic".

Thinking back about Dewsbury stand-offs, I remember a guy called Edwards who had genuine class. And, when he wanted to be, which unfortunately was not every week, Glynn Davies was "magic". Apart from those (and to a lesser degree Nigel Stephenson, who could have been a great stand off had he just had some pace off the mark) I have to say Dewsbury has rarely been blessed with a classy stand off. In more recent times the Agars, Chris Vasey and Davide Longo were pretty good, but were not near the "world class" category.

Just a few miles away there was a really classy stand off called Topliss whom no one has mentioned yet?

I can't remember seeing Vic Hey play, but my father always said he was the best (at that time) Dewsbury had ever had, although my understanding is that he was a tackle-buster rather than a tackle dodger.

Lewis Jones was the most all-round talented stand off I saw (with the RU kicking game developed in the Valleys). However I remember once standing next to a Leeds' fan who was complaining bitterly that he wouldn't tackle (he'd obviously never seen Danny Cipriani when making that assessment). In fact for many years I regarded him as the best-ever RL player. That changed when Ellery Hanley was in his prime. Nowadays, the guy I like to watch is Benjy Marshall, he just has that bit of "magic".

Thinking back about Dewsbury stand-offs, I remember a guy called Edwards who had genuine class. And, when he wanted to be, which unfortunately was not every week, Glynn Davies was "magic". Apart from those (and to a lesser degree Nigel Stephenson, who could have been a great stand off had he just had some pace off the mark) I have to say Dewsbury has rarely been blessed with a classy stand off. In more recent times the Agars, Chris Vasey and Davide Longo were pretty good, but were not near the "world class" category.

Just a few miles away there was a really classy stand off called Topliss whom no one has mentioned yet?

I can't remember seeing Vic Hey play, but my father always said he was the best (at that time) Dewsbury had ever had, although my understanding is that he was a tackle-buster rather than a tackle dodger.

Forgotten all about davies - good player, and if I remember correctly he was a genuine taffy.

Didn't Alan Hardisty virtually destroy the career of a very promising young Batley player with an awful challenge whilst he was in the process of scoring a try? Might be wrong, but remember my Grandad telling me a tale to that effect. Maybe an older Batley fan can enlighten me?

Didn't Alan Hardisty virtually destroy the career of a very promising young Batley player with an awful challenge whilst he was in the process of scoring a try? Might be wrong, but remember my Grandad telling me a tale to that effect. Maybe an older Batley fan can enlighten me?

Don't remember that, but it's possible I suppose. Hardisty was never an intentionally dirty player though - now if it had it been shoebottom....... :rolleyes:

Forgotten all about davies - good player, and if I remember correctly he was a genuine taffy.

Wasn't his name Gwyn rather than Glynn? When Davies was at Huddersfield there was a piece in one of the Rugby League Yearbooks written by his brother Alan, who was a centre at Wigan, and I think an international. He said that Gwyn was the better player of the 2 brothers, but had never reached his full potential. Gwyn's temper got the better of him on more than one occasion, most noticably when he was banned sine die for manhandling the referee, and again after his ban was lifted when he was reported to have dragged a member of the Dewsbury committee into the showers and soaked him over a difference of opinion, an action which effectively ended his invovement with the club.

Back to the thread, there were so many brilliant stand off halves over the years I've watched the game, but if I had to pick a favourite it would be Roger the Dodger. If centres and back 3 forwards were running for him he could find them a gap in the tightest of defences and put them through it faster than you could work out what was happening.

You're probably right (Gwynn rather than Glynn, I'm a bit like Jonathan Woss in pronouncing vowels).

His brother Alan did play at international level.

I remember Davies getting his sine die ban. I believe it was in a cup tie against Trinity and the ref has just given them a very dubious penalty,the latest in a string of bad decisions against Dewsbury, which Neil Fox had hit between the posts to put Trinity ahead. As they returned to the halfway line for the restart, Davies simply let loose a haymaker which put the ref on his derriere. There were more than a few Davies-sympathizers in the crowd. Hadn't heard about the committee-man incident, but I do remember a few who may well have deserved a dowsing. One of these brought a winger called Pratt from Morley RU and pronounced him as the next Roy Pollard. The guy's name should have given him a clue. He could run, but it was only in a direction away from the opposition, backwards, sidewards but rarely forwards. And stopping a paper bag in a gust of wind was beyond him.

I can also remember watching Roger Millward as a schoolboy on Sunday afternoon TV (B&W) with Dewsbury's least favourite son commentating. He was at the time, Eddie told us, "mercurial", which presumably was approaching "ubiquitous". That adjective Eddie reserved for Alex Murphy.

You're probably right (Gwynn rather than Glynn, I'm a bit like Jonathan Woss in pronouncing vowels).

I remember Davies getting his sine die ban. I believe it was in a cup tie against Trinity and the ref has just given them a very dubious penalty,the latest in a string of bad decisions against Dewsbury, which Neil Fox had hit between the posts to put Trinity ahead. As they returned to the halfway line for the restart, Davies simply let loose a haymaker which put the ref on his derriere. There were more than a few Davies-sympathizers in the crowd. Hadn't heard about the committee-man incident, but I do remember a few who may well have deserved a dowsing. One of these brought a winger called Pratt from Morley RU and pronounced him as the next Roy Pollard. The guy's name should have given him a clue. He could run, but it was only in a direction away from the opposition, backwards, sidewards but rarely forwards. And stopping a paper bag in a gust of wind was beyond him.

I can also remember watching Roger Millward as a schoolboy on Sunday afternoon TV (B&W) with Dewsbury's least favourite son commentating. He was at the time, Eddie told us, "mercurial", which presumably was approaching "ubiquitous". That adjective Eddie reserved for Alex Murphy.

I used to watch those - dewsbury v cas with millward on the cas side and maloney and watson on the dewsbury team was the best one I saw.

Mercurial, as in the winged-heeled messenger of the gods Mercury.

It means fast!

Ubiquitous means to be everywhere at the same time.

HTH

:P

Exactly. So before you can aspire to become ubiquitous, you first have to be mercurial?

I believe that ubiquitous also implies god-like, which I'm sure AM would have agreed with. :dry:

Mercury was only a messenger however. :rolleyes: