Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

historic matches you have attended

132 posts in this topic

mine isn't a chalenge cup win or the 1989 world club challenge, it was february 1991 when i watched runcorn highfield end their record losing run in emphatic fashion.................scoring over 50 points in the process. beating keighley 54-16

I watched my team lose 72-10 in a CC SF, which was a pretty historic defeat. But if I recall correctly, at least Henderson Gill had a little boogie....I also watched Robbie Paul's debut in the A team for Bradford and I also remember beating Wigan 10-6 in a match until the fog rolled in and the match got abandoned...I suppose any match can be 'historic' but these are perhaps my most memerable..along with a couple of Grand Final wins of course...

I was at (Perth) Western Reds, Celtic Crusaders and South Wales Scorpions' first ever matches and North Wales Crusaders' first home match. I was at the last London Broncos game before they became Harlequins for a while too. I was at Wales' first game back in 1991 and was of course there when they won the European Cup in Bridgend in 2009 and in Albi in 2010. I also saw Gloucestershire Warriors win a Challenge Cup game against the odds in Yorkshire against Illingworth.

There's probably a few more to that collection too but it's what springs to mind.

I saw Chorley's last game when they defeated York in a classic. York were well in front and their fans were extracting the urine but Chorley fought back to level and then won it with a Brian Capewell drop goal from near half way. I think I saw Scorpions first ever game. I only missed 2 home games that first season. Celtic Crusaders first ever game was in the Northern Rail cup at Hemel. Did you get a programme Cardiff Cymru? Prior to moving to Wrexham I have every Celtic Crusaders home and away programmes except that one!

I was also at North Wales Crusaders first home and away matches, Cardiff Cymru. In fact, the only game I have ever missed was the friendly at Milford, because "my first team" Eccles had a game that day. You probably know who I am now.

I watched my team lose 72-10 in a CC SF, which was a pretty historic defeat. But if I recall correctly, at least Henderson Gill had a little boogie....I also watched Robbie Paul's debut in the A team for Bradford and I also remember beating Wigan 10-6 in a match until the fog rolled in and the match got abandoned...I suppose any match can be 'historic' but these are perhaps my most memerable..along with a couple of Grand Final wins of course...

The fogged off game was my first ever - just after I'd moved to the city.

2004 nrl grand final................................the great freddie fittlers last ever game.

Warrington v Leigh at Central Park after the 'Fire' at Wilderspool, following the 1-1 draw in the play offs

York v Leigh at Scarborough

Mine is historic from a Rugby League and personal point of view. (This is a bit grim so apologies in advance.. :( )

It was when I attended the last game at the Boulevard on 22nd October, 2002. Hull FC v New Zealand on a Tuesday night. I took my Dad who was riddled with cancer at the time, unfortunately, this was obviously going to be his last ever game as well. Him and my mother had bought tickets for the game weeks before as they were both regulars at the Boulevard with their own seats in the newish part of the Threepenny stand. When we took our seats, the couple next to us who were pally with my folks, asked me where they both were. I explained that my Dad was the chap that, due to his advanced cancer, they didn't recognise sitting next to me, and unfortunately, my Mother had collapsed and died suddenly 5 weeks before.

Not surprisingly, I don't recall them speaking to me again all night.

Gateshead and Crusaders first game. London's first game in Perpignan.

The first grand Final at OT and the last CC at Wembley.

Not much else but i always regard London beating Bradford in their pomp at Tynecastle as historic. :-)

Edit: In fact it was, Steele Rechless' 67 tackles in a match - probably still a SL record?

Gateshead and Crusaders first game. London's first game in Perpignan.

not much else but i always regard London beating Bradford in their pomp at Tynecastle as historic. :-)

A few of the top of my head.

Wigan v Manley 1987 Unofficial WCC

Salford v Wigan 1996 Challenge Cup.

Wigan v Leeds 1998 Grand Final

Wigan v Saints 1999 (Last game at Central Park)

hunslet v york last game at parkside

hunslet v huyton first gane at dogtrack

bramley v leeds 1995 first game of rugby league at clarence fields home of headingley rugby union

york v leeds challenge cup first game of rugby league played at bootham cresent

mine isn't a chalenge cup win or the 1989 world club challenge, it was february 1991 when i watched runcorn highfield end their record losing run in emphatic fashion.................scoring over 50 points in the process. beating keighley 54-16

Never, you must be deluded. ;)

Mine is historic from a Rugby League and personal point of view. (This is a bit grim so apologies in advance.. :( )

It was when I attended the last game at the Boulevard on 22nd October, 2002. Hull FC v New Zealand on a Tuesday night. I took my Dad who was riddled with cancer at the time, unfortunately, this was obviously going to be his last ever game as well. Him and my mother had bought tickets for the game weeks before as they were both regulars at the Boulevard with their own seats in the newish part of the Threepenny stand. When we took our seats, the couple next to us who were pally with my folks, asked me where they both were. I explained that my Dad was the chap that, due to his advanced cancer, they didn't recognise sitting next to me, and unfortunately, my Mother had collapsed and died suddenly 5 weeks before.

Not surprisingly, I don't recall them speaking to me again all night.

That's a very sad story OF, it must have been a very difficult time for you. Puts things into perspective.

I saw GB beat Australia at Odsal to win the World Cup. I would love to see a repeat at Old Trafford next year.

I saw Keighley stuff eventual Champions Hunslet at Lawkholme Lane on the way to promotion in the early 60,s

I saw us lose a Yorks cup semi final to Wakefield 5 to 4, played at Odsal because we took a bribe from Trinity to switch from Keighley. Wakefield won when Neil Fox played the ball forward to himself and scored the winning try. That's against the law in today's game.

Wigan / Manly

Wires / Wakefield last ever game at Wilderspool

GB / Aus 92 at wembley WC final

Wembley 87 saints / fax my first final, curtain raiser was also nice !!

That's a very sad story OF, it must have been a very difficult time for you. Puts things into perspective.

Thanks Terry, wasn't a great time tbh.

(And Hull got beat!)

I saw Fulhams first home game against Wigan and all their home games for their first two seasons. I also saw all Celtic Crusaders home games.

Wigan playing Australia at Central Park in (1994?) and giving them a run for their money. As has been often said since, you felt given 10 more minutes Wigan would have won. Although knowing Australia they'd have scored three tries in the final minute if they'd needed to...

Last ever game at Crown Flatts, Dewsbury 18 all draw I think it was my father refereed the game still got the souvenir tankard was looking at it before

I attended the England/Australia 4Nations final at Elland Road in November 2011. I saw some of the world's best players that night and one in particular stood out, Darren Lockyer scored in his last ever game before retirement. I was honoured to be there and witness that moment.

article-2063938-0EDE05D200000578-669_468x329.jpg

Memories (and memory) are wonderful things aren't they VW?

You saw them beat Keighley on 31st March (not Feb) 1991 54 - 16 and was one of only 350 in the crowd - well done!

Unfortunately I saw them beat Dewsbury (the memory is etched into my soul) 9-2 on 3rd March 1991 - four weeks earlier - and was one of only 330 in that crowd. That was the game that ended their run.

Sorry to rain on your parade. ;)

Last ever game at Crown Flatts, Dewsbury 18 all draw I think it was my father refereed the game still got the souvenir tankard was looking at it before

I believe that game was against Barrow, and I think Barrow played in the first ever game at Owl Lane.