Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

historic matches you have attended

132 posts in this topic

There is quite a few for me but it as to be when we won the challenge cup in 83 beating hull when no one gave us any chance what so ever.

I attended the England/Australia 4Nations final at Elland Road in November 2011. I saw some of the world's best players that night and one in particular stood out, Darren Lockyer scored in his last ever game before retirement. I was honoured to be there and witness that moment.

article-2063938-0EDE05D200000578-669_468x329.jpg

I was at that game also, but, after the promising display against the Aussies at Wembley it was a bit of a let down.

Been to many games that I will always remember but the ones I believe to be truely historical:

1985 Challenge Cup Final Wigan v Hull - The Greatest ever Challenge Cup Final? (also my first)

1987 World Club Challenge Wigan v Manly - Start of the WCC

1998 Wigan v Leeds - First UK GF

2005 New Zealand Australia - Finally Australia are beaten

2011 England v Australia - Lockyers final game

Really hope the next one is at Old Trafford next November with England winning the WC

Keighley and The Parkersider's on-going fued is pretty historical now... ;)

You can't let typos stray into humerous one liners, it destroys the effect. That's "feud",

I never attended the game, but surely Wigan v Brisbane has to be one of the best ever!!

A few of the top of my head.

Wigan v Manley 1987 Unofficial WCC

Salford v Wigan 1996 Challenge Cup.

Wigan v Leeds 1998 Grand Final

Wigan v Saints 1999 (Last game at Central Park)

I've collected those and I'll add:

Wigan v Fulham 1980 first ever game at Craven Cottage

Wigan v Hull 1985 Challenge Cup Final

Wigan v Saints 1989 the 27-0 Challenge Cup Final.

I attended the England/Australia 4Nations final at Elland Road in November 2011. I saw some of the world's best players that night and one in particular stood out, Darren Lockyer scored in his last ever game before retirement. I was honoured to be there and witness that moment.

article-2063938-0EDE05D200000578-669_468x329.jpg

I was there also but sadly didn't see Lockyer's last try/game for Australia. I collapsed 15 mins before kick off and ended up going to hospital by Ambulance. Don't know what was most painfull, the kidney stones or paying £40 for a game I never got to see.

I remember being at Shaw Cross a few years ago when Redhill ran amok fighting and kicking anything in a Shaw Cross shirt. One Shaw Cross player was chased down the road and ended up hiding behind the counter in the petrol station. Game abandoned, sine die bans handed out and if I remember rightly, Redhill being told to disband by BARLA.

Wigan v manly at central park. Was there but didn't't see too much from my perch on top of the toilet walls and at half time the steam and stench from the urinals was unforgettable.

2010 Challenge Cup Q/Final

Leeds 12 v Wigan 10

Lee Smith scoring only try of the game with seconds left, great atmosphere!!!! :D

I've collected those and I'll add:

Wigan v Fulham 1980 first ever game at Craven Cottage

Wigan v Hull 1985 Challenge Cup Final

Wigan v Saints 1989 the 27-0 Challenge Cup Final.

Wigan versus saints ?? Why is that historical?? It wasn't the first!!

Padge has misinterpreted the thread.

He thought it was hysterical matches.

Padge has misinterpreted the thread.

He thought it was hysterical matches.

OF I think he made this game on time unlike the saints players , one Michael o Connor springs to mind

I was at this game and sat the greyhound sand track, amazing day..... Sheffield Wigan was better

There is quite a few for me but it as to be when we won the challenge cup in 83 beating hull when no one gave us any chance what so ever.

Keith Bridges (say no more)

I think you call it "winding up Saints fans".

I think you call it "winding up Saints fans".

No one bit, so pretty poor!

No one bit, so pretty poor!

\you haven't seen my inbox :lol:

The Wigan v Manly game at Central Park is an obvious one

The GB v Australia test match in 1990 at Wembley is another, in addition to being amongst a few Aussies who thought they only had to turn up..........

Many Wembley Cup Finals - my first in 1976 because of the extreme heat in the stadium, and the Wigan v Hull one in 1985 stands out.

Doncaster's last game at Tattersfield

Workington Town's Lancashire Cup win

One that sticks in my mind was a 0-0 scoreless draw between Halifax and Hull in a Challenge cup semi at Headingley, 1987 or 88 I think. I'd never witnessed it before or since for that matter, at any level of the game.

If memory serves the replay was very low scoring as well with Fax winning by the odd point.

Aus v GB, 2nd test in Melbourne, was somewhat unwell, got taken to sickbay at half time, was asked 'have you been drinking?', well it was an evening kick off !

Rochdale Hornets last game at the Athletic Grounds 1988 (?) - losing to Oldham on a shocking day

1982 - GB v. Australia at Boothferry Park - the "official" start of the modern era in British RL

GB v Aussies at Old Traff when Joe scored that long range effort, got stuffed but what a great side the convicts had

2011 Record points in a game Knights 136 Northumbria Uni 0

1989 first game at Huntington Stadium/Last game at Clarence Street

Last game at Parkside

1st Game at Whitebank "Stadium"

Dewsbury 1 York 0

First ever Knights Game v Hull KR 2003

The GB v Australia test match in 1990 at Wembley is another, in addition to being amongst a few Aussies who thought they only had to turn up..........

My first ever live game! Watched the final test in '88 on TV and enjoyed it so, when I heard about the Wembley game, I thought I'd give this "northern" game a go. Been hooked ever since although, at first, I thought GB/England beat the Aussies quite often. I've learnt that we don't.

Maybe next time.

Always the optimist!

You can't let typos stray into humerous one liners, it destroys the effect. That's "feud",

Dang! Well I'm definitely in Team Parksider now haha! All the best.