Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

historic matches you have attended

132 posts in this topic

Best ever for me was Brisbane v Wigan 1994 at the ANZ. Wigan won by 20-14.

Boy, did the Aussie fans sulk that night.

Next morning's papers blamed everyone except the Broncos team.

When the Broncos BOD saw Wigan arriving with half a pack they offered a "winner takes all" for the prize money.

After them losing the Broncos didn't pay up.

It was a long way to go for one match and my first visit to Australia but worth every mile and every penny.

Huddersfield 142 Blackpool 4

I wasn't there. I had a feeling it was going to be a record and I was going to go but I was down south and my more sensible angel persuaded me that it would be an 80-0 drubbing of no note whatsoever.

So I didn't go. I watched it on Ceefax.

I'd have been gutted if Greg Austin had become the fifth person to score 10 tries in a match. I think he got 9 in the end. The story is that he spurned a tenth because he didn't want to match Lionel Cooper's 10 vs Keighley against such weak opposition. I can't imagine that's true though.

Not quite the idea of the thread though...

Best ever for me was Brisbane v Wigan 1994 at the ANZ. Wigan won by 20-14.

Boy, did the Aussie fans sulk that night.

Next morning's papers blamed everyone except the Broncos team.

When the Broncos BOD saw Wigan arriving with half a pack they offered a "winner takes all" for the prize money.

After them losing the Broncos didn't pay up.

It was a long way to go for one match and my first visit to Australia but worth every mile and every penny.

The attendance was given as around 54000 and then - mysteriously - tens of thousands were lopped off that figure: I presume that was somehow connected to the winner-takes-all challenge put forward by Brisbane? I'm sure I remember reading Dave Hadfield's wry thoughts on all of this all those years ago...

Incidentally, does anyone know if Brisbane paid up the full amount?

As for "sulking" - some Australians still are if you go according to what they post about the forthcoming World Club Challenge. Don't you know that it's just a pre-season jolly and that poor old Brisbane played a game both the weekend before and the weekend after?

I mean, how could they be expected to win?

Widnes's second game in last season's SL.

12th Feb 2012 Huddersfield 66 Widnes 6.

I didn't go but was listening to a dodgy Radio Leeds reception commentary,driving back to Hull after a day out in Helmsley.

(Oh, almost forgot to mention, I had a tenner on the Giants to win by 56-60 points with Ladbrokes at 33/1. :D )

I didn't go but was listening to a dodgy Radio Leeds reception commentary,driving back to Hull after a day out in Helmsley.

(Oh, almost forgot to mention, I had a tenner on the Giants to win by 56-60 points with Ladbrokes at 33/1. :D )

I did go.

You were a lucky man.

We were lucky to get 6.

Congrtas on your win, but 33/1 is poor odds for that bet.

I did go.

You were a lucky man.

We were lucky to get 6.

Jeez, I feel for you mate.

Congrtas on your win, but 33/1 is poor odds for that bet.

Au contraire, it stuck out a mile for me as a very good bet. I actually had two ten pound bets, the other was Hudds by 51-55 at 20/1 IIRC.

Widnes had played their first game at home before a decent crowd v Wakey. They lost, I think, 18-29 or summat like. I thought at the time, if they can't win under those circumstances, they're gonna get a reet pasting at the Galpharm.

Ladbrokes odds were far better than any other bookies for that particular game.