Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyn Sadler

Predictions for 2012 that didn't come true

35 posts in this topic

Nothing Gideon could possibly have done anything about.

Gideon is a man of many talents.

It's finding what those talents are that is proving to be the problem.

If you'd read your link you'd see that they said that average rainfall alone would not be enough to get drought areas out of drought.

They did indeed. But from the link:

Trevor Bishop, Head of Water Resources at the Environment Agency, said:

'A longer term drought, lasting until Christmas and perhaps beyond, now looks more likely – and we are working with businesses, farmers and water companies to plan ahead to meet the challenges of a continued drought.'

According to the OED a drought is "a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall, leading to a shortage of water."

I don't think there's much doubt about what Mr Bishop meant. And on this occasion he got it wrong, although I don't think that lessens the need to conserve water supplies.

We are doing our best in Linconlshire. The fields are full of the stuff!

We are doing our best in Linconlshire. The fields are full of the stuff!

The one thing that is predictable is that we will sooner or later have a very dry year, with alarms sounding about drought all over again. The point is that it's hard to be sure when that year will arrive.

I can't think of a more important issue than the conservation of water supplies.

Wettest year since 2000 - evidently, God was expecting a UK-based RWC in an even year, but we fooled him! :D

Most of those made by Hull FC and Wigan fans during the preseason. :) All the best for 2013 chaps.

You're not wrong. I predicted Warrington would win the Grand Final.

The death of international Rugby League.

Actually, I haven't checked to see if someone did predict this in 2012, but someone does do so in most years, so I reckon I'm on safe ground... ;)