Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

News on Salford

478 posts in this topic

In league express today the new is there's investors interested but they want a much better deal on the stadium or they are not interested.

That looks promising.

Is the stadium badly affected financially (and in terms of credibility) If Salford fold because they are too mean with the deal?

Also do these investors see a way to compete on a (possibly more achievable) lower crowd than 8,000 if the stadium deal can be drastically altered?

I know a couple of people who own shops who, in the current climate, have had to say when the lease came up for renewal "I can only afford X% of what it was or close down"

Both are still in business because it makes sense for both sides.

Lets hope it works for Salford.

Hi Parky - thanks for this. My postal sub for LE never arrives on monday!

I am glad to hear something - wish it was concrete news, but a bit more positive at least.

The stadium would be affected in 3 ways I can think of - loss of income from rent + no bar sales from Salford games + loss of praking fees. Also IF Sale were to be relegated - what then?

I believe the club plan for 2013 was for gates based on around 5000, with a cheaper squad certainly got that now! :lol: ).

Lets see what happens - time is so short now it must come to a head soon.

Hi Parky - thanks for this. My postal sub for LE never arrives on monday!

I am glad to hear something - wish it was concrete news, but a bit more positive at least.

The stadium would be affected in 3 ways I can think of - loss of income from rent + no bar sales from Salford games + loss of praking fees. Also IF Sale were to be relegated - what then?

I believe the club plan for 2013 was for gates based on around 5000, with a cheaper squad certainly got that now! :lol: ).

Lets see what happens - time is so short now it must come to a head soon.

Sadly I don't think a cheap squad that can be paid for with a low crowd works if that cheap squad can't entertain by winning some games.

How far they can get the clubs stadium costs down will affect how far they can get the wages up and the break even down from 8000 fans.

I'm sensing someone coming in to just manage the club for a couple of years at no risk to themselves. Bit like at Bradford.

With HKR on a lower salary spend and cas on a low spend, Salford won't be alone.........

Leaving RFL/SLE to sort out the fantastically uneven comp SL has become.

But that's for another thread!

Sadly I don't think a cheap squad that can be paid for with a low crowd works if that cheap squad can't entertain by winning some games.

I think a distinction needs to be made between "cheap" and "value for money". If I were a Salford fan I'd be looking for new owners to be squeezing every last bit of value they can out of the current market, I believe there's value to be had if you play the system and can bring someone in with a shrewd eye.

I'm sensing someone coming in to just manage the club for a couple of years at no risk to themselves. Bit like at Bradford.

Why do keep making this claim that bradfords new OWNER is only a manager in it for the short term? He's putting plenty of his own money in so its hardly at no risk to himself.

Why do keep making this claim that bradfords new OWNER is only a manager in it for the short term? He's putting plenty of his own money in so its hardly at no risk to himself.

I don't, I believe a new kind of owner is taking over Superleague clubs, all part of the change away from depending on rich men to throw money at clubs. I apologise if I have misled you. my fault.

I don't, I believe a new kind of owner is taking over Superleague clubs, all part of the change away from depending on rich men to throw money at clubs. I apologise if I have misled you. my fault.

Fair enough, but surely you'd agree that this new breed of owner, where you aren't dependent on his personal money purely but seek to bring money in from as many sources as possible as is happening at Bradford is healthier going forward? Apologies for the thread drift btw

Fair enough, but surely you'd agree that this new breed of owner, where you aren't dependent on his personal money purely but seek to bring money in from as many sources as possible as is happening at Bradford is healthier going forward? Apologies for the thread drift btw

Agree entirely and as I say the Bradford fans can reward him they know where to eat.

Anything new from Salford anyone???

Agree entirely and as I say the Bradford fans can reward him they know where to eat.

The board at Halifax stated that, they were going to run the club with out just one major money man backer and the money was going to come from different people / income streams. Their licence bid was slated by the RFL and then by fans of the "game". Maybe the RFL have changed their mind on how clubs should be run, especially in light of the recent financial problems at clubs.

The board at Halifax stated that, they were going to run the club with out just one major money man backer and the money was going to come from different people / income streams. Their licence bid was slated by the RFL and then by fans of the "game". Maybe the RFL have changed their mind on how clubs should be run, especially in light of the recent financial problems at clubs.

This is the RFL's summary of Halifax's licensing application -

Halifax RLFC submitted an application with insufficient detail in their marketing, media or commercial plans. The club business plan was inadequate, figures presented by the club as the budget and performance forecasts for the 2012-14 Licence period were speculative and the club did not provide sufficient information for KPMG to complete their assessment procedures. Whilst the club has an excellent community program, a good facility and has recently strengthened its Board and player performance system, the club fell below the standards expected of a Super League club.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/licensing/super_league

It doesn't look as though the RFL had any objection to Halifax not relying on one man putting money into the club.

This is the RFL's summary of Halifax's licensing application -

Halifax RLFC submitted an application with insufficient detail in their marketing, media or commercial plans. The club business plan was inadequate, figures presented by the club as the budget and performance forecasts for the 2012-14 Licence period were speculative and the club did not provide sufficient information for KPMG to complete their assessment procedures. Whilst the club has an excellent community program, a good facility and has recently strengthened its Board and player performance system, the club fell below the standards expected of a Super League club.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/licensing/super_league

It doesn't look as though the RFL had any objection to Halifax not relying on one man putting money into the club.

Bearing in mind what has happened to clubs since they were released. The summaries by the RFL don't hold much credibility.

Parky - in rely, here is the lastest bulletin from manchester evening news - with the usual pich of salt :D ?

http://menmedia.co.u...p-salford-fight or here it is pasted;

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood steps up Salford fight

Neil Barker

December 31, 2012

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood is working around the clock to try and rescue Salford City Reds.

Wood even spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day talking to potential new investors in an 11th hour bid to prevent the cash-strapped Super League club from going out of business.

Wood remains confident in his Save Our Salford quest, despite the dramatic collapse of the joint £1.5m Peel Holdings-Salford City Council rescue package. Wood is locked in talks with Peel and security firm Securitas who are believed to be keen on investing to keep the long-established club afloat.

The pressure is on as the RFL hierarchy want the situation resolved by mid-January ahead of the February start of the new season.

Meanwhile, Salford fans continue to raise money in an effort to clear the club's debts.

Shirley Bradshaw, chairperson of the Forever Reds group,told M.E.N. Sport: “We have to help all we can and make more people aware that their help is also needed.”

Former Salford player Stefan Ratchford has put his Warrington Grand Final shirt up for auction on line to boost the rescue fund that now stands at over £20,000.

Well -

If true it is quite encouraging - but we have had so many faalse dawns now ...

Bearing in mind what has happened to clubs since they were released. The summaries by the RFL don't hold much credibility.

KPMG don't look like a competent professional outfit either.

I disagree they were very professional when they came to visit the Dragons in 2007 and enjoyed excellent professional hospitality in Spain :))))))

Yes, O bet they were professional in the hospitality stakes.

However, the cleared the licence applications of Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford and Castleford so I'm not sure how much due diligence they did into the appliations they were reviewing.

15 posts into a thread regarding Salford and nobody's suggested merging/changing the name to Manchester yet. Perhaps there's hope yet.

15 posts into a thread regarding Salford and nobody's suggested merging/changing the name to Manchester yet. Perhaps there's hope yet.

Hopefully people will leave it as a Salford news thread.

Not criticising, it's so easy to move off the subject.

Parky - in rely, here is the lastest bulletin from manchester evening news - with the usual pich of salt :D ?

http://menmedia.co.u...p-salford-fight or here it is pasted;

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood steps up Salford fight

Neil Barker

December 31, 2012

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood is working around the clock to try and rescue Salford City Reds.

Wood even spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day talking to potential new investors in an 11th hour bid to prevent the cash-strapped Super League club from going out of business.

Wood remains confident in his Save Our Salford quest, despite the dramatic collapse of the joint £1.5m Peel Holdings-Salford City Council rescue package. Wood is locked in talks with Peel and security firm Securitas who are believed to be keen on investing to keep the long-established club afloat.

The pressure is on as the RFL hierarchy want the situation resolved by mid-January ahead of the February start of the new season.

Meanwhile, Salford fans continue to raise money in an effort to clear the club's debts.

Shirley Bradshaw, chairperson of the Forever Reds group,told M.E.N. Sport: “We have to help all we can and make more people aware that their help is also needed.”

Former Salford player Stefan Ratchford has put his Warrington Grand Final shirt up for auction on line to boost the rescue fund that now stands at over £20,000.

Well -

If true it is quite encouraging - but we have had so many faalse dawns now ...

Thank you.

A week ago I thought this would be finally it when a big club hit the tracks, however things look a lot better for Salford and SLE can start to think about organising themselves better as well, if they don't already know they need to shape....

RFL have changed theirminds :lol:

However, the cleared the licence applications of Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford and Castleford so I'm not sure how much due diligence they did into the appliations they were reviewing.

Its a comparison, not a level.

Here is the lastest offering from the Manchester Evening News.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/rugby_league/s/1597102_show-of-strength-before-potential-investors-crucial-to-salfords-hopes

Coach Phil Veivers has issued a New Year rallying call for mass solidarity among all parties to try and secure Salford Reds’ future.

Players, coaches, club bosses and fans must remain positive, stay calm and stick together according to Veivers who is busy preparing his team for Sunday’s pre-season clash with Swinton at Barton.

Veivers said it is an ideal opportunity for the Reds to rally, show their fighting spirit and hopefully benefit from their pleas for help.

Veivers told MEN Sport: “It really is all about solidarity – it’s so important and so vital. It’s the key to everything We are back in training and ready to go Sunday.

“We are busy preparing for the new season.

“We have to stick together until we know something for definite about the club’s future.’’

With potential new investors likely to be in attendance at Sunday’s game, the Forever Reds supporters group feel it is vitally important for fans to turn out in numbers and show just how much they care for the club.

Chair person Shirley Bradshaw, who is among those spearheading the campaign to keep Reds afloat, has appealed for a sizeable show of strength.

Coach Veivers has also stressed the importance of a good turnout.

“We need to issue our own big positive statement of intent at the game on Sunday,’’ said Shirley. “This is a perfect opportunity for people to really get behind the club and prove a point to new investors. The message we must send out is to show how much we care for our club.

“A good crowd could just be the thing needed at this stage to persuade someone out there to become involved and take the club forward.

“When Salford played their final ever game at the Willows, a 10,00 crowd turned out for what was an historic occasion. That gate proved the interest and the passion is there. We desperately need another positive response from people on Sunday.

“Our message to the local community is to quite simply get down to Barton and show your support.

“We also have the perfect opportunity to show the Rugby League, Super League and likely investors there is genuine interest and potential in Salford.

“There is too much heritage involving the Salford club to simply let things be lost.

“We have to do everything in our power to help.’’

Shirley is also hoping that many fans from neighbouring clubs will also pledge their support at the weekend’s game.

Forever Reds have already raised close on £30,000 in cash pledges from people willing to help the club.

The group will, however, seek assurances from the RFL that any money they raise will go directly to aiding the club’s current cash flow problems.

“This has got to happen,’’ added Shirley. “People have been so generous so far. Money raised must be used right away.

“We have an auction coming up in Broughton later this week. The Salford players have been so supportive of the cause and for this they are to be commended.

“Adrian Morley has put up a shirt and boots for auction. Many former players are also doing their bit. There has been a tremendous response right across the board and all we as fans can do is do our best.

“The really big opportunity for the fans to show just how much they want to see the club carry on will come on Sunday.

“It is more than just a pre-season game for us – it could well have a very big bearing on the club’s future and good support is vital.

“Salford needs support right now and we must protect one of the city’s greatest assets.’’

Fans wishing to support the Forever Reds cause should contact: The Salford City Reds Foundation Appeal, c/o 51, Cheetham Road, Swinton

I hope there is a good crowd and it is a decent match.

I think they can have my entrance fee this week. I have never visited this stadium before. I try not to have anything to do with Salford council if I can help it. I passed it once on a Mersey ferry on the Manchester Ship Canal! I was impressed with Swinton last Saturday, but I expect Salford will still be too strong. I hope its a decent crowd.

I think they can have my entrance fee this week. I have never visited this stadium before. I try not to have anything to do with Salford council if I can help it. I passed it once on a Mersey ferry on the Manchester Ship Canal! I was impressed with Swinton last Saturday, but I expect Salford will still be too strong. I hope its a decent crowd.

You will be very welcome - I hope it is a good game.

It will not be easy for Salford as we have many problems and Swinton will want to win big style :D - we got beat by Leigh at home this time last year .... :rolleyes:

An interesting & encouraging article from Manchester EN. I just hope this is genuine this time, I really do - here is the link or read below;

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/rugby_league/s/1597409_salford-reds-ray-of-hope

A potential new buyer for Salford City Reds could come to the club’s rescue on Monday – the same day Reds’ bosses are due to contest a court winding-up order.

A possible buyer for the Reds is meeting senior officials from the Rugby Football League and Salford City Council for preliminary talks at a secret location regarding a takeover and major new investment in the club.

The court hearing in Manchester relating to unpaid taxes and money that is allegedly owed to two former players is likely to be adjourned for two weeks.

That would obviously be beneficial to any new investor as they ponder on if buying Salford is both a feasible, realistic and viable proposition.

MEN Sport understands that the new investment group have a good track record within professional sporting circles but are newcomers to rugby league.

Cheshire businessman Lawrence Jones could be a possible investor having previously considered buying the stadium naming rights.

Senior officials from the RFL have refused to disclose the identity of the interested party who will also meet representatives from Peel Holdings and the club during Monday’s talks.

Negotiations are still said to be at a very delicate stage but the RFL remain hopeful of a positive outcome.

However, no formal buy-out has yet been agreed.

The sole purpose of Monday’s talks is to make the investor aware of the whole situation surrounding Reds’ future.

Any likely new investor will possibly have to work closely with land owners Peel Holdings.

A takeover could take another fortnight.

The new Super League season starts next month. The interested investor will be fully informed of Salford’s current situation, the club’s potential and to discuss the scale of any takeover.

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood has again played a key role in attracting this fresh investment interest in the City Reds.

Wood stands by the view ‘there is a solution’ to the Salford crisis. He spoke with the interested party over Christmas.

The interested buyers have just returned home to this country following their own overseas festive break and fixed Monday’s meeting with Nigel Wood.

Contrary to certain media reports, Salford’s new investors will not be JD Sports.

Owners John Wardle and David Makin have strong links with RL kit suppliers Kooga but they are not looking to buy a professional club.

Security firm Securitas, who were linked with Salford when Peel and Salford Council came close to taking control, will remain onboard as the City Reds’ shirt sponsors.

Securitas have also shown an interest in pursuing other commercial sponsorship ventures during the Super League campaign.

Meanwhile, Reds play Swinton tomorrow at Barton in a pre-season friendly with the Championship part-timers having joined the fight to save their neighbours.

Traditionally the lower division outfits receive the proceeds from pre-season matches against Super League opposition but Swinton are to donate a substantial slice of the gate receipts to aid their hosts’ survival bid.

Swinton boss Steve McCormack, a former head coach of the Reds, said: “It’s sad to see the situation Salford are in It’s only a couple of seasons ago that Salford helped us out by letting us play at the Willows so I would ask every Swinton fan to turn up for the game.”

1,851 there today. Is there a real genuine interest in saving Salford? Even if they get through this, are things ever gonna get better for them?