Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

News on Salford

478 posts in this topic

Still negotiating I understand - several points at issue - Ground valuation - Lease variability - Council/Peel future input - Directors Bank Guarantees - Directors Loan Accounts - Share Issue etc - so seems some way off - apparently the Dr is being assisted by 3 from the NRL.

Given he's got 3 on board from the NRL, and the fact they like having precise geographic locations in club names, I predict the club name will indeed change and from 2013 the team will be known as the South Salford Devils.

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, January 16, 2013 - off topic personal spat

You are an idiot

Your usual quality Walter Mitty

Has flown Graham Lowe over from NZ to help according to Sky.

I suggest you apologise one of the reasons why this forum has gone down the hill and the likes of Paris/Cliff etc dont bother to post hear anymore is that idiots like you think that you know it all and cannot accept others opionions/contacts etc.I suggest you go back to your own dreamworld you are a fool and an arrogant idiot FULL STOPCM

Oh dear. You don't do irony, I take it?

I suggest you apologise one of the reasons why this forum has gone down the hill and the likes of Paris/Cliff etc dont bother to post here anymore is that idiots like you think that you know it all and cannot accept others opinions/contacts etc.I suggest you go back to your own dreamworld you are a fool and an arrogant idiot FULL STOP CM

dribble dribble you pompous bser, nothing to do with opinions but your endlessley convenient tall stories. get over yerself

Its been coming to him for a long time lucky that in most cases i keep my mouth shut on what other things i know.Have a nice day i have to work:)CM

ha ha what other things you know :lol: let me guess you know a neighbout who knows a bloke who met someone who knows. sure ting walter

'Racehorse magnate Marwan Koukash hopes to complete his takeover of Salford City Reds by Monday.

Talks with long-serving club chairman John Wilkinson and Salford City Stadium owners Peel Holdings and Salford Council are at an advanced stage, with Dr Koukash set to get the chance to transform the fortunes of the struggling Reds.

Flanked by former Wigan and New Zealand coach Graham Lowe, who is set to oversee player recruitment, and ex-New Zealand RL chairman Andrew Chalmers, Dr Koukash spoke of his ambitions after watching a makeshift Salford side go down 34-16 to a near full-strength Wigan team in a pre-season friendly at Barton.

"I hope it can be done in a few hours, certainly no longer than a few days," he said. "Hopefully by Monday we can announce the deal."

Earlier this month Salford avoided a winding-up petition brought by HM Revenue and Customs and former players Vinnie Anderson and Luke Patten over around £400,000 in unpaid bills.

Koukash revealed his first task will be to invite Wilkinson to become the club's president, and he passed a vote of confidence in head coach Phil Veivers while pledging to make funds available immediately for team strengthening.

"The first thing I said to John was how grateful everybody was for the services he has provided and that, once I sign on the dotted line, he's going to be my president for life because I think he deserves that role," he said.

"He's been extremely honest. He's supported the club for the last 30 or 35 years and he's a wonderful man.

"I've met Phil a couple of times and I would like to say that Graham (Lowe) is not replacing Phil.

"He will work with Phil to recruit the right players. They will work as a team. We have full confidence in Phil and I think he will do a wonderful job.

"Graham has had meetings with Phil and we've identified a number of players. Although we haven't signed on the dotted line, we have been speaking to a number of players, players that will bring the crowds in and players who could win matches."

Koukash, who booked a hospitality box for family and friends at the match, addressed the Salford players both before and after the game, which was a dress rehearsal for their Super League opener in a fortnight's time.

"I told them how grateful I was that they stuck around," he said. "The situation must have been horrific and they could easily have walked away.

"You could see their determination out there. They were young boys out their against big men but they fought."

Wigan led 24-4 at half-time thanks to two tries from England winger Josh Charnley, last year's Super League's leading scorer, and others from Sean O'Loughlin, Jack Hughes and Jack Murphy, plus two conversions from Pat Richards.

The Warriors added further tries through Iain Thornley and former Salford scrum-half Matty Smith to lead 34-4, but the City Reds produced a spirited late rally, with Marc Sneyd converting tries by Gareth Owen and Theo Fages.

Graham Lowe is 66 and has had some health problems over the years. Good luck to him and (hopefully) great to see him back in the British game.

Looks to be very good news. Its brilliant that we have seen investors step up over the past few years, Wakey, Bulls, Fev, and now Salford.

Graham Lowe is 66 and has had some health problems over the years. Good luck to him and (hopefully) great to see him back in the British game.

In my opinion it was Lowe who laid the foundations of the great Wigan team of the late 80s & early 90s. At 66, isn't he a bit younger than Sir Alex Ferguson? I think hwe may well be on the way to a new and sucessful era fir the Reds.

Just need this to finally happen, then we can get season tickets on sale and recruit a few players.

Nice move by the Doctor appointing Wilkinson as President, regardless of the mistakes he may have made Wilkinson should be remembered for his efforts since 1982.

Just need this to finally happen, then we can get season tickets on sale and recruit a few players.

Nice move by the Doctor appointing Wilkinson as President, regardless of the mistakes he may have made Wilkinson should be remembered for his efforts since 1982.

Totally agree re John Wilkinson. This will be a load off his mind.

The Doctor is indeed shrewd. In Racing he uses many Trainers - not just the one - and I wouldnt be surprised to see more appointments at the club.

This sounds extremely positive and all in rugby league should be very grateful for what Dr.Koukash appears to be doing.He has taken his time,taken professional advice,seems to know exactly what he is getting himself into and appreciates there will be no over night solution.Anyone who expects a full turnround in less that 3/4 yrs is kidding themselves.Equally,many people should be grateful for what Wilkinson has done over the years to keep the Club going.

There are plenty of people who tell others what must be done,unfortunately they are invariably wrong and/or don't have the ability/resources to impliment the necessary actions.I for one will be delighted if the Club can be stabalised for a year,some progress made the following season and a solid,viable Club emerges the following year.

Some very good people/owners appear to have come into rugby league over the past 18mths - Hull,Wakefield,Bradford and potentially Hull KR and Fev.

Hoping for good news on sponsors and looking forward to a successful World Cup.

I was impressed by Dr Marwan Koukash in the press conference, he comes across really well.

I just hope they don't sign too many overseas players and focus on developing players for the future.

In my opinion it was Lowe who laid the foundations of the great Wigan team of the late 80s & early 90s. At 66, isn't he a bit younger than Sir Alex Ferguson? I think hwe may well be on the way to a new and sucessful era fir the Reds.

You're not in your prime until 60+ (at least I bl**dy well hope so!).

So this will leave Cas as the only team in SL without a wealthy backer - not looking great for us. Maybe now is the time to revisit their business plan

Potentially great news for Salford. I never believed all parties would come together without administration.

He has other motives imo, but I believe the RL club is a long term part of his plan and not a pawn just to get what he really wants

I seriously hope this comes off and the people of the area support the club in far greater numbers going forward - well chuffed for Sir John as well.

Nice gesture, honouring Wilkinson for his years of hard work. Chuffed for the club, but as was said earlier, don't expect an instant turnaround. 2013 will probably be another rough old season for the Devils, but at least they only have to concentrate on improving, instead of just surviving.

I have no problems with having a tough season if we are building for the future.

There are a few players that simply won't last the season at Salford (excluding the kids) A couple of forwards look like their bodies are either broken or not up to the SL season.

Being a Salford has always been a rollercoaster ride at the best of times but this last year as been the biggest of the lot. I didn't expect to escape the Winding Up Order before Dr Koukash became involved and still expected it to go wrong at the last minute.

Just hope we can get everything ready for next season, issue squad numbers, sell season tickets and have the Red shirts ready for the opening day!

So this will leave Cas as the only team in SL without a wealthy backer - not looking great for us. Maybe now is the time to revisit their business plan

Whilst the Bulls' owner is certainly 'rich' by my standards, I don't think he comes near to the proper 'rich'.

Whilst the Bulls' owner is certainly 'rich' by my standards, I don't think he comes near to the proper 'rich'.

Yes fair point - I guess the point I was making is that Salford, Cas and Wakey are very similar in may respects. Wakey go into admin and come out smelling of roses, Salford have a winding up petition filed against them and (seemingly) come out smelling of roses.Also, London are surviving on average crowds below 3,000

Pre Christmas, the board at Cas came out and begged and pleaded for us all to buy a membership to ensure the financial future of the club. Many have done this (nearly 3,500 I believe) despite the worst season in many many years but still not quite sure where we go if we don;t get to 5,000

It begs the question if this was the right move - Salford sent out a rallying cry with the Save our Salford campaign asking for donations basically and had a paltry attendance at a pre-season fixture - are they worth saving? Somebody thinks so. I really don't buy this RL needs a club in Manchester nonsense

Cas own a lot of land - perhaps the business plan should be "F*ck it, let's go into administration, clear our debts and crack on - somebody must want us for the land value if nothing else"

I genuinely fear for our club and am honest enough to say that there is an element of the green eyed monster in my post when a club like Salford (similar to Cas in so many respects) can attract this sort of backer.

It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months pan out