Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

News on Salford

478 posts in this topic

Yes fair point - I guess the point I was making is that Salford, Cas and Wakey are very similar in may respects. Wakey go into admin and come out smelling of roses, Salford have a winding up petition filed against them and (seemingly) come out smelling of roses.Also, London are surviving on average crowds below 3,000

Pre Christmas, the board at Cas came out and begged and pleaded for us all to buy a membership to ensure the financial future of the club. Many have done this (nearly 3,500 I believe) despite the worst season in many many years but still not quite sure where we go if we don;t get to 5,000

It begs the question if this was the right move - Salford sent out a rallying cry with the Save our Salford campaign asking for donations basically and had a paltry attendance at a pre-season fixture - are they worth saving? Somebody thinks so. I really don't buy this RL needs a club in Manchester nonsense

Cas own a lot of land - perhaps the business plan should be "F*ck it, let's go into administration, clear our debts and crack on - somebody must want us for the land value if nothing else"

I genuinely fear for our club and am honest enough to say that there is an element of the green eyed monster in my post when a club like Salford (similar to Cas in so many respects) can attract this sort of backer.

It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months pan out

If Cas do manage to get a backer, or sort themselves out financially by some other means, it could make things very interesting come the next round of applications.

I hope they do manage to sort themselves out, same as with Salford and any other club that is struggling.

Nice move by the Doctor appointing Wilkinson as President, regardless of the mistakes he may have made Wilkinson should be remembered for his efforts since 1982.

30 years!! How much do you reckon he's put in over that time?

Depends what you mean by put in.

As well as Director loans etc the first team have over the years been sponsored by Cebora Whilst as far as I am aware not actually a Wilkinson Star company I think he had the distribution rights from the Italian comapny so this could have been his money as well.

The Willows has also sponsored games and subsided the hospitality side of the company.

A conservative estimate of £100,000 per season proping up the company adds up over 30 years.

I have no problems with having a tough season if we are building for the future.

There are a few players that simply won't last the season at Salford (excluding the kids) A couple of forwards look like their bodies are either broken or not up to the SL season.

Being a Salford has always been a rollercoaster ride at the best of times but this last year as been the biggest of the lot. I didn't expect to escape the Winding Up Order before Dr Koukash became involved and still expected it to go wrong at the last minute.

Just hope we can get everything ready for next season, issue squad numbers, sell season tickets and have the Red shirts ready for the opening day!

Were the RFL instrumental in attracting Dr Khoulash to invest in the Reds. If so, they deserve our praise in saving this club who could go on to big things if this investor does what he says he is going to do.

Great news. Fingers crossed until the final announcement on Monday.

The good doctor seems like quite a good guy - spoke to the team before and after the match and praised them for not shipping out. Doing the right thing by John Wilkinson etc.

Is Andrew Chalmers being lined up for MD?

Great news. Fingers crossed until the final announcement on Monday.

The good doctor seems like quite a good guy - spoke to the team before and after the match and praised them for not shipping out. Doing the right thing by John Wilkinson etc.

Is Andrew Chalmers being lined up for MD?

I think I saw a post somewhere that its Ed Farish, a former finance officer of Australia's National Rugby League.

I was impressed by Dr Marwan Koukash in the press conference, he comes across really well.

I just hope they don't sign too many overseas players and focus on developing players for the future.

It does sound as if we've been blessed with a star taking us over.

I know what you mean about overseas players, but we are very lightweight in the pack (and have been for a while) and because there are almost no English forwards available just now, we will have to recruit from overseas. I do hope, though, that this would be a short-term fix and that we can sort out our junior development, which seems to have been very poor for a long time.

I think we only have one overseas player at present, Shannon McPherson, and I'm not sure if he can play all season. The pack is very lightweight. Wouldn't mind an experienced half back to interchange with Theo Fages. Really could be exciting over the next few years.

I think I saw a post somewhere that its Ed Farish, a former finance officer of Australia's National Rugby League.

Never heard of him sad to say, but if he loves the game and understands the pennies them probably a good choice.

Read elsewhere:

Salford Racecourse was always known by the Jockey Club as Manchester** Racecourse, even though it's official title was Castle Irwell RC, then they closed it down. Although I have seen newspaper listings with Castle Irwell rather than Manchester at the title.

I Believe it was know as Manchester to differentiate it from an earlier RC at Barnes, where one of the pre-coursers of Salford RFC* played before they dug it up for the Manchester Ship Canal (Also in Salford).

*Before NUFC (Northern Union)

**I think there was another "Manchester" RC, in the southern end of M/cr but can't be bothered researching further tonight

Were the RFL instrumental in attracting Dr Khoulash to invest in the Reds. If so, they deserve our praise in saving this club who could go on to big things if this investor does what he says he is going to do.

I think McManus ( from saints) may have some influence in this

I think McManus ( from saints) may have some influence in this

If so, good for him. I guess he dosn't subscribe to the 10 team SL.

If so, good for him. I guess he dosn't subscribe to the 10 team SL.

He subscribes to a 12 team one! However, I'm quite sure he doesn't want to see ANY rugby league club go under, regardless of which league they may be playing in. After all, he saved Saints from administration so clearly he doesn't have a problem with the notion of a rich person saving a rugby league club.

All I know about the connection is that Koukash has been the guest of McManus at Saints on occasion.

This is fabulous news. Graham Lowe will be a wonderful addition to SL. He lives and breathes TGG.

What excites me is that we have no sense of how big this coud be, given that there has never been a cashed up, savvy RL club so close to Manchester. My suspicion is that there is massive latent support, and that Salford could be a force in the land.

They could have Hock for a year if they like.

Let's hope the good Doctors first job is to rip out the blue seats

So we've got rich backers at most clubs, let's get rid of the salary cap and have some fun with the game.

If this gets completed it'll be massive for Salford and will belatedly relaunch the club in THEIR new stadium!

Sale Sharks will have been rubbing their hands at the thought of acquiring primary status in a brand new stadium and now they'll be tenants of Salford RLFC.

Poetic or what!

I think we only have one overseas player at present, Shannon McPherson, and I'm not sure if he can play all season. The pack is very lightweight. Wouldn't mind an experienced half back to interchange with Theo Fages. Really could be exciting over the next few years.

Salford don't have any quota players. McPherson has exemption, Nero has an EU passport and Fages is club trained (I think)

Read elsewhere:

Salford Racecourse was always known by the Jockey Club as Manchester** Racecourse, even though it's official title was Castle Irwell RC, then they closed it down. Although I have seen newspaper listings with Castle Irwell rather than Manchester at the title.

I Believe it was know as Manchester to differentiate it from an earlier RC at Barnes, where one of the pre-coursers of Salford RFC* played before they dug it up for the Manchester Ship Canal (Also in Salford).

*Before NUFC (Northern Union)

**I think there was another "Manchester" RC, in the southern end of M/cr but can't be bothered researching further tonight

This is different to the new racecourse that's been mooted in recent years (in Boothstown).

Castle Irwell is now a university campus and has been for many years. Any posters who've played uni rugby over the years will know it as the venue of the SRL end of season 7s.

If this gets completed it'll be massive for Salford and will belatedly relaunch the club in THEIR new stadium!

Sale Sharks will have been rubbing their hands at the thought of acquiring primary status in a brand new stadium and now they'll be tenants of Salford RLFC.

Poetic or what!

Have I missed something? Are Salford the new landlords now?

Have I missed something? Are Salford the new landlords now?

The deal rests on the Doctor buying the Stadium & thats why fans are sensibly trying not to get excited;

The deal rests on the Doctor buying the Stadium & thats why fans are sensibly trying not to get excited;

Isn't the real target the potential income streams that come from ownership ? I expect a cash strapped local authority will eagerly transfer their interest . Peel Holdings maybe different.

According to Granada TV last night, the deal will be done by monday night............