Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

News on Salford

478 posts in this topic

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already mentioned

Will the Salford club be re-branded with the new investor ?

IF it was my hard earned cash I would be tempted to re name the club Manchester, yes its an old idea but I personally feel that a Manchester RL club would draw new supporters and new sponsors where the Salford name has struggled. Surely a proud Mancunian would be interested in seeing whats on offer.

The MANCHESTER brand is known worlwide and its a shame its not been used to its full potential in RL

Will the new Salford be a thoroughbred front runner playing in red silks.?

Maybe that will be the cheerleaders kit, I don't know what his colours are.

Maybe the new breed of investors will lead to a change at Red Hall, we certainly need some ew blood.

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already mentioned

Will the Salford club be re-branded with the new investor ?

IF it was my hard earned cash I would be tempted to re name the club Manchester, yes its an old idea but I personally feel that a Manchester RL club would draw new supporters and new sponsors where the Salford name has struggled. Surely a proud Mancunian would be interested in seeing whats on offer.

The MANCHESTER brand is known worlwide and its a shame its not been used to its full potential in RL

Zzzzzzz

There's always one!

Up to a point, yes. But what I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

Good luck to Salford and I hope this guy comes through. Of all the established clubs they're much the most "investable" I would have thought, with the possible exception of London.

Up to a point, yes. But what I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

The RFL from what I have seen are looking for a top class chief executive. Together with the review already underway by the "interim" I expect the RFL are fully aware of your sack race and are trying very hard t do something about it.

They have to succeed - I love this game!!

I for one think there is logic in re-branding the club as MANCHESTER why not there is simply nothing to lose.

As for SL with a MANCHESTER brand it means that SL has then clubs in 4 of the largest 7/8 cities in the UK.

Nowadays its all about selling the sizzle:)

CM

Salford isn't in Manchester !!

For all parties I would imagine, wouldn't you ?

It will be good if the deal at least saves Salford.

It will be great if the deal boosts Rugby League in and around the M60.

There lieth the difference.....

What I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

So would I.

1. Maybe they have done due diligence and know the score on the Salary cap and have researched how Leeds, Wigan and others fund player developments and intend to do the same. Maybe they are in for the long haul and not instant gratification trophy winning.I think you are tending towards the negative.

2. Catalans. They have established themselves as a semi permanent top six club I also think it's great that they now have a French coach and a susbstantial number of their squad are French.

1. Leeds and wigan develop players by having the money to pay full salary cap, by having the money to staff junior development, by having the facilities, by promoting the game in their areas, by winning loads of cups, by being famous as the games two greatest ever clubs of all time, and through this by stimulating many junior RL clubs in their areas.

Maybe the new owner has earmarked investment of large proportions for a couple of generations to achieve this?

2. Nine players from overseas make Les Catalans a top six club. How would a French born X111 go in Superleague?

I for one think there is logic in re-branding the club as MANCHESTER why not there is simply nothing to lose.

As for SL with a MANCHESTER brand it means that SL has then clubs in 4 of the largest 7/8 cities in the UK.

Nowadays its all about selling the sizzle:)

CM

There is a logic, you're possibly quite correct, but you've managed to be both right and to miss the point altogether in the same quote.

The logic, just like the logic in all the proposed mergers at the beginning of SL, didn't allow for the fact that fans are fiercely loyal to their local areas and despite being within Greater Manchester, Salford is a city in its own right and the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.

Having watched Salford home and away from the early 70's, and having lived in the City all my life, I reckon more than 50% of the supporters would find something else to do rather than watch their team change their name to Manchester. Manchester, being a football City, would not replace those fans. It really gets on my nerves when people who know nothing about living in Salford keep bringing up this suggestion. Manchester and Salford are seperated by the river Irwell, but it might as well be the Atlantic ocean! Sure, some Salford fans will come on and say they would still follow the team as Manchester, but they would lose more than they gain. Mancunians ARLFC seeem to be doing a great job of promoting RL in the City of Manchester. Give them more support and let them carry on the good work they are doning and leave Salford alone.

There is a logic... But...

Salford is a city in its own right and the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.

True, but the club have 5,000 fans, not enough to survive without free subsidies from the rich.

Out of the 5,000 4,950 may vote to stay as Salford

But how many would walk away if the name changed??

And if the name changed to Manchester how many more fans could be attracted??

However what's in a name??

And how many Salford fans don't live in Salford?? Could be a lot.

This club primarily needs one thing - to be competetive on the pitch and make a salford game an event, last time it was an event they got 10,000.

Given the number of fans Man Utd have historically drawn from the Salford area I think you could make the case that a change to Manchester would draw barely a whimper of protest and might even be welcomed. The sensible thing would be to retain Salford in there as well. Manchester & Salford City Reds (or some new suffix) sounds snazzy enough to me. The 2 towns are not enemies by any means - it's a very peaceful co-existence where the boundaries are blurred often to the point of being entirely irrelevant. You're not amalgamating Manchester with Liverpool.

I've lived in Manchester for 20 years before anyone accuses me of ignorance.

Many fans don't live in Salford but they acknowledge the history of the Salford club. Changing the name to Manchester doesn't attract new fans or maintain them.

I say this everytime but look at the Manchester storm and Giants teams Or Manchester RU and tell me what the long term benefits of the Manchester name are?

the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.

What is this based on? I think you'll find more Salfordians out in Manchester on a Friday and Saturday night than knocking around Salford Precinct. It's about 20 minutes walk to Manchester town centre from there. I've always viewed Salford as more of an extension of Manchester than an independent city. That's no criticism of the place or its facilities but with Manchester joined to your hip you'd have to be pretty pigheaded and stubborn to not take advantage of the shops, pubs, clubs etc. just a stone's throw away. I know a lot of proud Salfordians but not one that harbours any bitterness towards Manchester, most have even moved to Manchester, usually due to work.

Changing the name to Manchester doesn't attract new fans or maintain them.

Again, what is this based on?

Some market research around the topic would be most welcome. I think you'd find many, many Mancunians that would take more interest as a result. It's a very proud Northern city - why wouldn't it want its own rugby league club?

I presume nobody from Salford watches Manchester United or Manchester City since the name would obviously put them off.

I've always thought for all the effort and heartache it would cost to rebrand Salford to "Manchester", the club might as well try and give the club a proper push in Manchester as Salford - if you see what I mean. Rightly or wrongly most people associate Salford quite closely with Manchester anyway, so it's unlikely put too many people off especially with the ground being right next to the Trafford Centre.

I've lived in Manchester for 7 and a half years, but in all that time I can't say I've ever seen much from Salford unless I went specifically looking for it (although understandable with the situation they are in now), I do think it could work, but it depends how much effort the club want to put in. Of course they should never forget the original fanbase, but I don't think you can ignore a market as big and, crucially, diverse as Manchester when you play where Salford play. A simply name change won't do the trick - Salford can be marketed in Manchester - but it depends on how much work goes in. I don't think "Manchester Reds" will solve many problems.

I've lived in Manchester for 7 and a half years, but in all that time I can't say I've ever seen much from Salford unless I went specifically looking for it (although understandable with the situation they are in now), I do think it could work, but it depends how much effort the club want to put in. Of course they should never forget the original fanbase, but I don't think you can ignore a market as big and, crucially, diverse as Manchester when you play where Salford play. A simply name change won't do the trick - Salford can be marketed in Manchester - but it depends on how much work goes in. I don't think "Manchester Reds" will solve many problems.

Just as a matter of interest - and feel free to stick this in the schools rugby league thread, if you prefer - but do you know what kind of presence rugby league has in the city of Manchester's schools? Have Salford themselves - with RFL help, of course - ever made a concerted effort to introduce and establish the game among this great city's schoolchildren?

I honestly couldn't say for certain. From what little I do know, Salford don't particularly go into schools in the south of Manchester where I am based. I know the Mancunians RL do quite a bit of after school stuff, but I don't think they have ever crossed paths with Salford in this area (although I think they have tried to get them involved without much luck).

If re-branding is thought to be a good thing then why not simply retain the name Salford and go with -

"Salford Red Devils"

I can't imagine that small name change upsetting anyone and it might attract a small amount of publicity.

I honestly couldn't say for certain. From what little I do know, Salford don't particularly go into schools in the south of Manchester where I am based. I know the Mancunians RL do quite a bit of after school stuff, but I don't think they have ever crossed paths with Salford in this area (although I think they have tried to get them involved without much luck).

Thanks for your response.

It appears truly strange to me - as an outsider from the deep south - that after all these years and with such a wealth of athletic potential in a major city at the game's disposal - relatively little appears to have been done in any concerted/sustained sense about establishing the game in Manchester schools.

I've always thought for all the effort and heartache it would cost to rebrand Salford to "Manchester", the club might as well try and give the club a proper push in Manchester as Salford - if you see what I mean. Rightly or wrongly most people associate Salford quite closely with Manchester anyway, so it's unlikely put too many people off especially with the ground being right next to the Trafford Centre.

In the case of Salford I think the location is far more important than the name.

The Salford club has a tremendous opportunity, if well managed and marketed, to build a large audience to follow it in Barton.

And it strikes me that it has the opportunity to be the biggest sporting club in Salford or, at best, the third biggest in Manchester. At one time I was in the vanguard of those calling for a name change to Manchester, but Salford is now coming up in the world, with the BBC locating its sports department there, and I don't think there is anything negative any more (if there ever was!) about the City of Salford.

So to change the name would probably be a waste of time and effort. I don't see a problem in making Salford appeal to supporters throughout the Greater Manchester conurbation while continuing to carry the name of the city in which it plays its games.

Unfortunately the Reds have been moribund off the field for several years, but it's hard to deny the potential the club has to be successful. I'm sure Mr Koukash is smart enough to recognise that potential.

People launching into the debate over branding of Salford RLFC seem to be completely overlooking the fact that a key player is Salford City Council.

So long as they have any influence over the matter, rebranding to Manchester simply will not happen.

The Council has provided massive backing to the Reds both practically and financially, for years the two organisations have had a common goal of redefining the nature of local identity in the area.

One huge irony being that the Reds no longer even play in true Salford anyway - if the name were to correctly reflect the location of their current match day venue they would become Eccles!

Get the product right on the pitch and it becomes a hell of a lot easier to do all the other things.