Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

296 posts in this topic

1. You may be fans of say Featherstone Rovers but you are clearly not fans of rugby league.

That's where you completely miss the point. Ian, Robin and many other Fev and CC fans want what's best for the game as a whole, not just the club where their allegiance lies. Difficult for some SL fans who have enjoyed the comfort zone for 16 years to understand I suppose.

Fine, you hate SL and the RFL. Don't go to any England matches but please go and watch NZ Vs Aus, or Ire Vs Fiji or any of the smaller teams. They need support more than any objections to the RFL.

A successful world cup is inexplicitly linked to the future of the game in this country. The international game is the biggest driver for the media and general awareness in the country.

They see themselves as the victims in all this, though. Not content with wishing the best for their own club...a club that is undoubtedly working hard to be better on and off the pitch, they think that the world is against them, that everyone and everything is trying to do their club down.

Real fans? Ha!

I see the New Years Resolution that Rugby League fans will be positive, cheerful and happy about The Greatest Game didn't last long.

The problem with the world cup is that we all know we will get battered. We've had 40 years of failure on that front. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise, so what positives do you pick out of the "statement"? .

I'm sorry to say, that hanging the future of the greatest game in the world on a farcical WC is bordering on lunacy. Get real people and wake up, how are the media going to take a competition which only has 2 teams with any realistic chance of winning it going to capture the imagination,?

Can you honestly see any of the following progressing past either the Aussies, England or Kiwi's? We are not in the same league as the Aussies and Kiwi's and Ladies and gentlemen I give you:- USA, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, PNG, Fiji, France, Samoa, The Cook Islands, Tonga and Italy. France are probably the best of these and were thumped by us in the recent International Mickey Mouse competition. I dare say any of the top 6 championship clubs would be more than a match for any of the others.

Surely you must see this?

They see themselves as the victims in all this, though. Not content with wishing the best for their own club...a club that is undoubtedly working hard to be better on and off the pitch, they think that the world is against them, that everyone and everything is trying to do their club down.

Real fans? Ha!

john. You have no idea what I think or feel!

do everyone a favour and stop watching RL you negative ######

Which is what I'm being panned for!! :rolleyes:

I have retreated from SL and the international game preferring to support my club and the amateur game.

I'm sorry to say, that hanging the future of the greatest game in the world on a farcical WC is bordering on lunacy. Get real people and wake up, how are the media going to take a competition which only has 2 teams with any realistic chance of winning it going to capture the imagination,?

Can you honestly see any of the following progressing past either the Aussies, England or Kiwi's? We are not in the same league as the Aussies and Kiwi's and Ladies and gentlemen I give you:- USA, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, PNG, Fiji, France, Samoa, The Cook Islands, Tonga and Italy. France are probably the best of these and were thumped by us in the recent International Mickey Mouse competition. I dare say any of the top 6 championship clubs would be more than a match for any of the others.

Surely you must see this?

The 4 nations, a lesser comp in many peoples eyes, gets more media attention than the rest of the season. Every year we play it, it gets more pages in the press than other games. More mentions on TV, more mentions on BBC breakfast etc. Yet you think the World cup will be ignored??

do everyone a favour and stop watching RL you negative ######

But how can anyone be positive when looking at the state of the game? Especially you Roughyed fans? I really genuinely feel for you guys and Hornets fans too, I fail to see how you are going to survive in CH1 long term. How many fans are South Wales, London, Gateshead, Hemel, Gloucester and Oxford going to bring with them to help you to stay afloat? Not many,

How many seasons do you realistically think you have left before you can no longer afford to survive. It breaks my heart to think of clubs with a long and proud history like you and Rochdale struggling to survive at the whim of the guys in charge. How will the game be improved by letting you and Rochdale go the same way as Blackpool?

New Year - same negative ###### from the usual suspects.

I haven't felt positive about the game for going on 20 years. I don't expect anyone to follow my point of view and I wouldn't want you or anyone to do anything but enjoy your rugby, however and wherever you choose.

"But it was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for this, your brother, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found."

Luke 15:32, World English Bible

Truely unbelievable.

I wonder what you 'fans' of the game,think that prospective sponsors and broadcasters think of your views/attitude.I tend to believe that those who complain most in life,contribute least towards anything.

Dispite the efforts of John and his collegues,frankly this site is beginning to do more damage to RL,than help it.

Posted · Hidden by Tom Coates, January 2, 2013 - No reason given

john. You have no idea what I think or feel!

forgive the intrusion, and I await the traditional abuse from your pal Lowfield: and yes I no longer normally post on here,

but:

unless RD Laing was right, and who's ro say he isn't, and we can't know what people think and feel without being them-I'm paraphrasing wildly and possibly a little inaccurately, then of course he and everyone else who reads what you write, and listens to what you say knows what you think and feel. Unless your musings are a smoke screen.

I've known you for years and find John's assessment reasonably accurate...and then some.

One last thing, and it isn't really relevant, but why do you tend to post in a cod Yorkshire disalect? Just curious.

Mr Wood,

Since taking control of the sport, you have single handedly crippled our game. If you want a reminder of some of your blunder's, here is a quick recap:-

1. Crusader's, Bradford, Salford,Wakefield, Blackpool, Barrow - Bust.

2. Wakefield, Castleford, - In the doldrums and severely struggling, like Wakey missed every target set in the last round of licencing regarding ground improvements.

3. London Average gates just over 1000.

4. Licensing, introduced to ensure 1-5 on this list cannot happen, that worked well didn't it!

5. Magic Weekend - Lets take the game around the British Isles, spread the gospel! Another Epic Fail.

6. Halifax's SL application the worst the RFL has ever seen.

7.Internationally - I don't think we have ever been further away from competing with the Aussies and Kiwi's,

8. 2nd most watched sport on Sky yet you "give" the sponsorship away for no money.

The game is a laughing stock, and the book stops with you Mr Wood!

1. The clubs sent themselves bust?

2. The clubs didn't get help from their council and could not afford grounds on their own

3. London average 2808 and have an ever improving player production line going

4. Licensing picked the 14 clubs with the most money, the clubs sent themselves bust

5. So locals didn't show up, at least it was tried

6. Halifax made the application Licensing commitee threw it out

7. We've been miles behind for 40 years, their game is a national sport and rich ours is regional and poor

8. Nobody wanted to buy the sponsorship.

I've no argument with your analysis of the games problems but to heap the blame on Nigel Wood in the way you do is to indicate that he could have stopped clubs going bust, got Cas and wakey grounds built, got people away from the M62 to take interest in our game, built up Great Britain into an Aussie beating team, and found six figure sponsors for Superleague???

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

If Mr. Wood has got it wrong, in these areas enlighten us as to what he should have done to get it right???

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, January 1, 2013 - No reason given

I await the traditional abuse from your pal Lowfield: and yes I no longer normally post on here,

Sithee Angela t'owd luv. you post away as much as yer like, stick Lowfield on ignore where I've put Elliot :)

Truely unbelievable.

Dispite the efforts of John and his collegues,frankly this site is beginning to do more damage to RL,than help it.

I must've missed that bit in the forum rules saying "Only positive postings allowed and posts making any suggestion other than the game is wonderful, it's management the best in the world and the world cup will rival the olympics will be treated as treason"!!!! :rolleyes:!!

I don't share your enthusiasm for the statement in the OP! C'est la vie!

1. The clubs sent themselves bust?

2. The clubs didn't get help from their council and could not afford grounds on their own

3. London average 2808 and have an ever improving player production line going

4. Licensing picked the 14 clubs with the most money, the clubs sent themselves bust

5. So locals didn't show up, at least it was tried

6. Halifax made the application Licensing commitee threw it out

7. We've been miles behind for 40 years, their game is a national sport and rich ours is regional and poor

8. Nobody wanted to buy the sponsorship.

I've no argument with your analysis of the games problems but to heap the blame on Nigel Wood in the way you do is to indicate that he could have stopped clubs going bust, got Cas and wakey grounds built, got people away from the M62 to take interest in our game, built up Great Britain into an Aussie beating team, and found six figure sponsors for Superleague???

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

If Mr. Wood has got it wrong, in these areas enlighten us as to what he should have done to get it right???

If the game is so tiny, maybe there's an argument that its too small to warrant elitism within it?

It breaks my heart to think of clubs with a long and proud history like you and Rochdale struggling to survive at the whim of the guys in charge. How will the game be improved by letting you and Rochdale go the same way as Blackpool?

How is Oldham's plight anyone else's fault but there own?

If the game is so tiny, maybe there's an argument that its too small to warrant elitism within it?

Is this what it's really about Terry? Elitism??

SKY paid the game £90,000,000 to create an "elite". SKY would not pay anyone outside that elite.

Wood had to deliver the contract.

I've already floated the idea maybe we should have turned SKY down, the general concensus seemed to be top players would leave, crowds would drop and the game would spiral downwards.

Or is it merely about P & R? If so for Lordies sake bring it back NOW if it'll unite us all.

Is this what it's really about Terry? Elitism??

SKY paid the game £90,000,000 to create an "elite". SKY would not pay anyone outside that elite.

It's one of the reasons I don't and won't have sky!!! - though their involvement in RL is only a minor reason as to why I dispise the murdochs so much!

Or is it merely about P & R? If so for Lordies sake bring it back NOW if it'll unite us all.

I think it would go a long way towards it Parky lad!

It's one of the reasons I don't and won't have sky!!! - though their involvement in RL is only a minor reason as to why I dispise the murdochs so much!

I think P & R would go a long way towards it Parky lad!

Fair enough Robin.

Do you know if Mr. Campbell and Mr. Nahaboo/your BOD want P & R by the way??

As I understand it Batley would refuse promotion?

Who said the game was tiny?

The problem with the moaners on here is that they never offer a better solution. They think they do, but they really don't.

Basically, you want the game to bring itself down in standards so that everyone can compete. Yet you'll complain that we can't compete internationally.