Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

296 posts in this topic

John, I love the game itself but not how it is run.

If we get into SL by franchising then I will carry on watching my team because I will do at any level. However I will still continue to moan about the way it is run because the RFL need to realise that there is more to the game than SL.

Sorry if you don't like it but this is my opinion and I have the right to carry on venting my frustrations.

Ian, its not about having different opinions, not for a second. Its about not liking almost everything about the game to a degree that to me suggests you should (not you personally) stop following the game.

To me, it doesn't make sense.

RL is too small to be divided, yet that has been our strategy since 2007. I don't expect my team to ever be a top 8 club with any consistency, unless of course we attract a sheikh who got lost on his way to Old Trafford, but what I cannot accept is the killing of the dream - and for me that dream is why sport exists.

As a consequence I believe the passion has been removed from the sport, and that passion was a common ground that we could unite behind.

We have a chance to unite and if we seize it this will be a fantastic year for RL - with the right leader.

Ian, its not about having different opinions, not for a second. Its about not liking almost everything about the game to a degree that to me suggests you should (not you personally) stop following the game.

Are you saying that to be a rugby league fan you have to like everything about how the game is run? Even the Northampton Rebels and Crusaders debacles and the scrapping of development staff outside the heartlands?

Are you saying that to be a rugby league fan you have to like everything about how the game is run? Even the Northampton Rebels and Crusaders debacles and the scrapping of development staff outside the heartlands?

Don't be ridiculous. Many of the criticisms are justified: there are problems within the game.

But that's not the same as saying you hate this and that or hope for a terrible WC, just so you can feel some sort of 'told you so' buzz.

Maybe because there's a large part of RL outside of those.areas.

But then again as a fan of a SL club you'll be pretty oblivious of the fact that there is a game outside of that.

you couldn't be more wrong

as a fan of a SL club you'll be pretty oblivious of the fact that there is a game outside of that.

Mr L T Sidestep,

I support the current World Club Champions and the club who have won 5 of the last 6 Superleague Grand Finals. Please could you, in your wisdom, describe my attitude to Rugby League at all levels.

Thanks, Wiltshire Rhino

As is said time and time again the problem with Rugby League is the whinging 'Heartlanders'. #sigh# I'd say that was actually far worse than the mismanagement of Championship and SL Clubs.

Don't be ridiculous. Many of the criticisms are justified: there are problems within the game.

But that's not the same as saying you hate this and that or hope for a terrible WC, just so you can feel some sort of 'told you so' buzz.

Well said. I really don't understand why 'Heartlanders' don't support the International game. They're like the Aussie Admin's hostility towards Internationals. Successful Internationals are absolutely vital for Rugby League. I've never heard of a [Association] Football fan saying "I don't support England because I support a team in the Blue Square Premier". I just don't get it. :huh:

Precisely. At England football matches you're probably more likely to see lower division/non league banners than a PL one. And look at the gap between them.

I can't speak for other people but I still love the game. If I didn't then I would not spend my time coaching a junior team or watching Fev Rovers, however the way the game is run at the moment does not make me feel like supporting it at the highest level.

Ian, Robin etc etc....Can't be arsed to try to save an endangered species any more to be honest. In the overall scheme of things, its irrelevant. but you will surely acknowledge that by turning your backs on Internationals and SuperLeague, you are missing out on so much. Indeed, the very success of Featherstone Rovers depends on the good health of the game at all levels, so why cut yourselves off from it, especially as Rovers benefits from it so much.

Still, its now 2013 and I wish the club and its other fans every success in its quest to contribute even more to this great game.

Thanks but I don't need saving from someone as arragant as you, so you do right in saving your time.

If the international game and SL really takes off do you honestly think that this would benefit Championship clubs? It would be even more reason for Mr Woods and his gang to press on with the so called elite league and leave Championship clubs to rot.

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, January 1, 2013 - No reason given

forgive the intrusion, and I await the traditional abuse from your pal Lowfield: and yes I no longer normally post on here,

but:

unless RD Laing was right, and who's ro say he isn't, and we can't know what people think and feel without being them-I'm paraphrasing wildly and possibly a little inaccurately, then of course he and everyone else who reads what you write, and listens to what you say knows what you think and feel. Unless your musings are a smoke screen.

I've known you for years and find John's assessment reasonably accurate...and then some.

One last thing, and it isn't really relevant, but why do you tend to post in a cod Yorkshire disalect? Just curious.

Thats good coming from the most disliked and abusive man on the forum, by the way my prediction for 2013 is that as you have stopped going to watch the Rovers the crowds will show a dramatic increase

I've never heard of a [Association] Football fan saying "I don't support England because I support a team in the Blue Square Premier". I just don't get it. :huh:

A blue square club can go through the Leagues and play in the elite league. A Championship club can't.

The root cause of all this is unpleasantness is the removal of P & R and the perceived lack of opportunity and fairness whether that be justified or not. Hopefully the outcome of the RFL's current review may go some way towards resolving things.

Parky did

No he didn't.

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

Tiny in comparison, not tiny.

Where's these suggestions to improve the game then?...

Happy New Year.

And to you and yours. It occurs to me that if England do win the World Cup, then there won't be many members of this forum around - most of them wil have died of apoplexy :D

The RFL are the most inept administrators in any sport i have ever known, they want all the amateur clubs and pro clubs to treat everyone the same regardless of colour, creed, religion, sexual orientation and yes we all buy into it, but they dont practise what they preach, they dont treat all there member clubs the same and that is all we want. I have nothing against teams in far off places i have even played at Hemel what i do have a problem with is the way Crusaders were disgracefully put in super league. The thing is it was obvious the RFL didnt even follow there own criteria if they had they wouldnt of been put in. We all know Salford will not get the same treatment as Bradford and how dare they talk of expansion after the Gateshull and Huddersheff fiascos. Castleford have conned there every licence with the stadium when it was obvious to most it would never be built, we all know Crusaders would of been in had they not pulled out so who went through there finances, who went through Bradfords to give them a B licence, who went through Salfords. 14 clubs have given themselves an elitest status they far from deserve, the rest of us some famous old clubs left to rot in the lower divisions, is there any wonder we wont support the world cup or super league, any wonder we dont give a flying shiiiiite when another team goes tiiits up

A blue square club can go through the Leagues and play in the elite league. A Championship club can't.

ya beat me to it Ian!

In theory, yes they can. The reality depends on money and shedloads of it. There are only a few Sheik Mansours and Abramovitches around, even in football.

If say, Oxford did ok and got a big money backer, in a few years they could be in the top flight. So where's the difference really?

Although technically possible, P&R can work in Football due to money distribution throughout the game due to huge amounts of money in all walks of the game, it wouldn't happen, as as soon as they reached the League 2 or League 1 their ground would not be big enough to be promoted up a tier, plus they more than likely would not be able to gain enough investment to buy in the players to win League 1 or even League 2, unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for them to buy players to get promotion to League 1.

When will RL fans realise that until their is money in RL it is not possible to have P&R between Tier 1 & Tier 2 in RL. If SL lowered the salary cap, to redistribute the money in RL in the UK, then the best RL players in the UK/France would move over to RU or the NRL en masse. Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

1. The root cause of all this is unpleasantness is the removal of P & R and the perceived lack of opportunity and fairness

2. Whether that be justified or not.

1. Is it Terry? There's 20,000 championship fans, and a good 20+ of those come on here and moan like hell about there being no P & R and lose their manners over it. I'd say the unpleasantness is just good old keyboard warriorship.

2. The lousy manners aren't justified, dunno whether P & R is justified? The record in the first 10 years was the same clubs going up and down and only those with money surviving in SL with some clubs turning promotion down.

I suppose we could try it again for a few years and produce the same farce, then the put licensing back in.

If Fev went up under P & R and came straight back down again we'd have another load of unpleasantness from the mocking :D .

Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

Out of thin air I suppose, more to the point where would the full time players come from?

Widnes have found it hard to find any?

I'm awaiting the RFL's outcome on the structure of the game with baited breath. Will it be 10 & 10 with P & R?

Will it be a retreat to 12 clubs??

When will that change take effect.

If it's from 2015 then we could get a whole load more unpleasantness from the usual sources if the promise to promote a CC club is lost with the 14 club structure.

Although technically possible, P&R can work in Football due to money distribution throughout the game due to huge amounts of money in all walks of the game, it wouldn't happen, as as soon as they reached the League 2 or League 1 their ground would not be big enough to be promoted up a tier, plus they more than likely would not be able to gain enough investment to buy in the players to win League 1 or even League 2, unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for them to buy players to get promotion to League 1.

When will RL fans realise that until their is money in RL it is not possible to have P&R between Tier 1 & Tier 2 in RL. If SL lowered the salary cap, to redistribute the money in RL in the UK, then the best RL players in the UK/France would move over to RU or the NRL en masse. Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

Both you and Jon have used the words in theory and technically, which means it's possible.

In RL at the moment it is impossible, that is the reason why I could not give a damm about the world cup.

Both you and Jon have used the words in theory and technically, which means it's possible.

In RL at the moment it is impossible, that is the reason why I could not give a damm about the world cup.

Widnes got promotion? Therefore it is possilbe...in theory...